pov/ripped off menu problems

A forum about SainT by James Boulton and Arnaud Carré - the current version is v2.4.0.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

guythp
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

pov/ripped off menu problems

Postby guythp » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:36 pm

I downloaded saint 1.5 the other day - It's gerat it finally works on my XP based pc thing.

(First, please bear in mind I am a balls-witted fucknut) Most demos work fine, but I now find none of my pov or ripped off menus work (nor do any other auto boot folder based disks)..

How can I fix this?

GuyTHP
The Hairy Pies

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:16 am

Hi GuyTHP,
Be sure you use Tos 1.00 (or 1.02) / 1 MB / STFM modes.
SainT isn't very "STe" compatible.
Hope it can help,
Brume.

guythp

Postby guythp » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:11 pm

thank you!

the problem was fixed by setting it to 1mb (it was on 2mb). :D

GuyTHP
The Hairy Pies

atari_mark
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby atari_mark » Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:33 pm

99% of the POV menus should work in 512K because of the way we code them. We do not use static screen addresses like most intro coders. I am surprised you had to change the memory settings.

Sounds like the emulator has the problem.

MSD/POV
Mac Sys Data/Persistence Of Vision

Instructions said to install Windows 2000 or better so I installed Fedora.

guythp

Postby guythp » Mon May 17, 2004 10:11 pm

Could be. I still haven't managed to gfet your conversion of the grodan demo from POV 150 to run (on steem or saint.. actually, saint is probably a bad choice, seeing as it doesn't really like the STe TOS).

Which makes me think (not quite sure how, mind), what ever happened to the bloke that ran 'the demo club' PD library. He seemed to get a lot of POV stuff in first (and charged a bloody fortune for the disks!)?

Oh, and if the chap that ran LAPD happens to read this, I still owe you a fiver. give me a shout and I'm sure we can come to some arrangement. I value my kneecaps.

8O
The Hairy Pies

atari_mark
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby atari_mark » Mon May 17, 2004 11:45 pm

The Grodan screen really does use a lot of STe only registers. Maybe I should look at the source code again and see if I can make it work.

The bloke from "the demo club" was called John Cove from Spilsby. He wrote to me and so I supplied him first with POV stuff. One day he went to work as normal, he came home and found his wife had emptied the house of furniture, cleaned out the join bank accounts and buggered off. He disappeared about two months after his wife left him.

We wrote The Demo club a special tracker that scanned the disk for files with the .mod extension. It then played the mods with a cool front end. I think I lost the source code to it when my hard disk crashed years ago.

I sent the POV stuff to other PD libraries but not many liked them. Martin Dresden from SouthWest Software Library did so he got a copy but in the end a friend started his own PD library (Tower PD).

I still have some POV disks to fix, I'll get round to it one day :)

Mark

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue May 18, 2004 7:24 am

John "Tronic / Effect " Cove ?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

atari_mark
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby atari_mark » Tue May 18, 2004 11:29 am

I wondered if it was Tronic but I don't think he was ever married.

John "steal MSD's code and call it my own" Tronic Cove!

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue May 18, 2004 12:07 pm

The very same .. I still happen to have about 20 disks of his source code and there's a lot of different cases, styles of writing .. all cut/pasted together. Very interesting the amount of "all code (c) by Tronic" etc. throughout.

Pity Disk2FDI kept missing off the bootsector, so got some patching to do to get the data off the disks .. unless of course, you want them to play with so long as you can get them uploaded here?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Tronic
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Tronic » Sat May 22, 2004 10:44 am

You got the wrong person these MSD.... I was never in a demo club!

Although, I was pretty sure whenever I did use your code I creditted you - if not, very sorry :)

:twisted:
Atari STE, Mega STE, Atari STFM, UltraSatan, SatanDisk, BBC Micro Model B, Playstation 1, Playstation 4, XBox360, Amiga 600, Amiga 1200, NintendoDS, Super Nintendo Classic Mini, Sony PSP and Super Nintendo.

http://www.ataristsales.com and http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Jays-Retro-Computer-Sales.
Atari ST demoscener active in Effect^Elite^Checkpoint as a coder and disk packer since 1992!

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Sat May 22, 2004 2:09 pm

muguk wrote:Pity Disk2FDI kept missing off the bootsector, so got some patching to do to get the data off the disks .. unless of course, you want them to play with so long as you can get them uploaded here?

IMHO Disk2FDI isn't a good tool to transfert ST disks. Both Leonard and me have tested it two years ago. Leonard discovered a big bug in Disk2FDI. Dunno if it has been corrected (the program wasn't updated for a long time).
Really prefer Makedisk under MS-DOS or use a real ST machine (MSA 1.41 or Fastcopy Pro). They gave the best results :!:
Or ask Graz' for his magic archiver on Amiga ;)

Social Media

Return to “SainT”