50Hz Fullscreen Display

A forum about SainT by James Boulton and Arnaud Carré - the current version is v2.4.0.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:20 am

ppera wrote:I would not mix here 'serious' monitors with some notebook displays ( :D ).

I don't understand why a notebook monitor is not "serious". And I don't see anything wrong in including them here. We are not reviewing monitors. We are talking about what would be the best display settings for emulation. Or you think than nobody runs emulators on notebooks?

I did not concluded that every LCD has 75Hz. You concluded that "Many LCD monitors are hardwired at 60Hz". That 'hardwired' is ridiculous.

You might find it ridiculous but that's a fact in my notebook, in my wife's notebook, and in my previous notebook. So unless my family happens to have all some special ridiculous notebooks, it is not ridiculous.

Converting scan rate is too complicated. Much easier is to support 22% wide freq. range. Scanrate conversion exists only in monitors with some video (50Hz) input (in crappy ones :-) ).

Really? Why do you think it is much easier to support higher rates? How an LCD monitor with a slow response time would support higher rates? It is far much easier and cheaper to perform a rate conversion than use more expensive and faster response time.

Do you have some authoritative refence about what you are saying, or you are guessing?

A quick googling brings a relevant article about the issue:

Today’s LCD monitors have in fact only one refresh rate, 60Hz. Although 75Hz or even 85Hz may be declared for many models, the monitor’s matrix still works at 60Hz if you select those settings. The monitor’s electronics discards the “extra” frames.

The author of the article is Oleg Artamonov (quite an authority in the topic), and the full text of the article can be found here:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/ ... rs_18.html

Then you mix native resolution with scan rate. My monitor works at 75Hz and 1280x1024 (ar any lower) from VGA input, but only with 60Hz via DVI (lower res. can have higher Hz on DVI). It sounds little weird, but shows that conversion rate is not issue. That 75Hz is real 75, believe me.

That indeed explains the lack of 75Hz support at higher resolutions in your case. It is because DVI has a maximum bandwidth. It still doesn't proof your monitor actually uses 75Hz internally. It might, I'm not saying it doesn't. But I'm curious how are you so sure.

Anyway, it is a fact that 75Hz might not be available, and it is a fact that some monitors support 60Hz only (regardless how ridiculous you find it).

ppera

Postby ppera » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:58 am

To cut this not really needed refresh-rate discussion:

My monitor is 2 years old now. It has 8ms declared response time. It was mid-priced. So, I'm not talk about some exclusive and newest technology.
I started to talk about monitors. Don't know much about notebooks, and think that most of people here has desktop machines. When we say 'monitor' it is not notebooks display... Notebooks are integrated, and should not be so flexible as 'universal' monitors. I'm not saying that there are no monitors which can work only at 60Hz. Doub that it is majority...

How know that it is real 75Hz? Simple - just watch some slow moving object.

Social Media

Return to “SainT”