New SainT version in the making...

A forum about SainT by James Boulton and Arnaud Carré - the current version is v2.4.0.

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

SainT
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

New SainT version in the making...

Postby SainT » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:38 am

Right, I've finally returned to doing some work on SainT after many years, and here's a taster of the new GUI:

There's only one menu screen done so far, and the graphics need tidying up, but it's coming along quickly now.

Any feature reqeusts please add them here and I'll do my best to get them added for the next release.

Wanted list so far...

o Cartridge support for MV16 / ST Replay
o Second disk drive emulation
o Hard drive emulation (ACSI & IDE)
o PC file system driver
o Fix bugs stopping TOS >1.0 running
o Video mode choice to display full 416*276 screen (only 400x276 in 800x600)
o Custom mapping of shortcuts to keys / controller buttons
o Custom joypad mapping
o Fast forward shortcut

Cheers,
-- James
Last edited by SainT on Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:11 am

Needed features:
* support for TOS >1.0 - old versions bomb for any other choice of TOS for me.
* more flexible video mode selection , e.q. 1280x1024
* harddrive emulation
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

SainT

Postby SainT » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:18 am

Out of interest why do you need a video mode choice? SainT runs at 800x600 (which all cards support) and there is the option of using the desktop resolution for laptop compatibility.

I dont see any advantage at running in higher resolutions other than the fact that bilinear filtering will be more prominent giving you a more blurred (more TV like) display. Is this what you're after?

Or there is the problem of widescreen displays. But the desktop resolution switch solves that one, and I've added a force 4:3 switch.

ta,
-- James

ASYLvM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ASYLvM » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:14 pm

Hi James.

Will you be taking Leonards version 2.00 forward or are you picking SainT back up from where you last left the project?

Cheers,

KL

P.S. Can we expect a release as a pre-xmas pressie :lol: or will we have to wait till '08?

SainT

Postby SainT » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:21 pm

Hah. I have been working closely with Leonard for many years, development will continue from the latest code base.

The main updates initially will be front end / gui work and generally tidying it up, as all of this was my doing in the first place. Once this is done I will get onto doing further improvements to the emulation. I started hard drive emulation (proper ASCI based image, not PC file system hacks) some years back, so I'd like to pick that up again. And also the PC file system hack needs to be added as well. This is a combination of ST and PC code... but I digress... :)

You might be lucky enough to get an xmas release as I currently have a bit of time on my hands, but this will just be a GUI update more than anything else. Not promising anything yet, though... :)

Cheers!
-- James

keops
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby keops » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:52 pm

Good news. It would be nice if Saint had this fast-forward button or shortcut like in Steem ;)

ppera

Postby ppera » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:44 pm

Beautiful... :-)

I will ask for my old wish: IDE hard disk emulation. Know that it is not regular in ST(E) machines, but is easier to implement than ACSI, for instance. With image files, of course (more than 1GB, please :-) )

If it is a problem, we may go on solution with general RWABS emulation - it would work with image files too, not on HW level, but on LBA sector accessing. Benefit is that it is independent from IF type, so no need for correct HW emulation. We need something like hard disk driver, but it will be done by emulator itself. For more details drop me a PM...

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jd » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:17 pm

looks cool.

yep ACSI emulation (from drive image) read/write.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:13 pm

Others have reported problems in the past with recording to AVI's but others have said it's down to the Codec in use at the time. Probably not high on your list compared to the intended and other's wish-lists above.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:44 pm

Its great to see anything being developed here these days, but to have an emulator being improved is even better 8)
I have never use Saint properly so forgive me if this is already in place but I would suggest making it so that whatever features are available such as fast forward / slow / toggle mouse capture / full screen / save / load memory snapshot etc can be easily mapped to any key or controller / mouse button on the PC :wink:

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:59 pm

Looks great!

I hope it can be the first (?) emulator to run Aggression's absolutely fantastic RGB-ruler screen?
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

SainT

Postby SainT » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:54 pm

Thanks for the comments guys, I've updated the wanted list in the first post. Keep 'em coming!

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:00 am

SainT wrote:Out of interest why do you need a video mode choice? SainT runs at 800x600 (which all cards support) and there is the option of using the desktop resolution for laptop compatibility.

The only thing I can think of is on some fullscreen stuff where the horizontal resolution is 416x272 (I think) and it doesn't fit on an 800 x 600 screen. It might be useful to be able to run in 1280 x 960 (which is 4:3 rather than 1280 x 1024 which is 5:4) and triple size the image to 1248x816?

Great to hear you're doing more to SainT, I look forward to seeing the new GUI in action :)
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

ppera

Postby ppera » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:38 pm

muguk wrote:Others have reported problems in the past with recording to AVI's but others have said it's down to the Codec in use at the time. Probably not high on your list compared to the intended and other's wish-lists above.

For me AVI recording worked flawless. But must select right codec, which supports colourspace suplied from Saint. Not big deal, most of recent codecs do it. And are free.

defender of the crown
Atariator
Atariator

Postby defender of the crown » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:49 pm

Looks great :D

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:26 pm

Likeing the cleaner interface, looks good..

I think the majority of "wants" have already been requested

Essentially anything that bering the emu in lines with Steem is fantastic, and your work is appreciated
>>> Trust me, I'm a Research Chemist.... <<<

terence
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby terence » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:08 pm

i have not used Saint for a long time, so i can not remember :
does Saint support keyboard low level programming done in somes demos ?

(transbeauce 2 for example)

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:33 pm

Nice to hear from you once again JimB, it's 10 years this year since we were in London as Lagernauts.

SainT

Postby SainT » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:08 pm

terence: Yes, SainT emulates the keyboard processor, so you have full emulation of keyboard tricks. Wonder if there were different keyboard ROM images as there were TOS versions?

alex: Hey fella, long time no see! :) It is indeed about 10 years since the Argonaut days, which is when I started SainT. Ah, good days! There's some pics on Facebook (Anna has posted most of them I think) of the old Argo lot -- none of us though. At this rate I may actually get the GUI finished within 10 years! Speedy work. :wink:

ta!
-- James

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:42 pm

So long as I can access my simulated h/drive partitions easily under STEEM and SAINT, I'll be a happy man.

It will bring back memories of flipping between PacifiST and TOSBox when I was doing the Regression Therapy menus - about 10 years ago too :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

nobogod
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nobogod » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:16 pm

May be we shall keep in mind this post, too.

SainT

Postby SainT » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:17 pm

Yeah, compatability goes without saying. Getting later TOS versions working will be the primary goal for the first lot of compatability work I think.

Were there ever any standard ethernet cards for the ST? Doing some kind of ethernet emulation for networking might be nice. Although I dont know if much software was ever networked on the ST. Certainly none I had... :wink:

-- James

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:58 pm

The EtherNEC is really considered as the de-facto standard for networking on the ST.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:43 am

SainT wrote:Were there ever any standard ethernet cards for the ST? Doing some kind of ethernet emulation for networking might be nice. Although I dont know if much software was ever networked on the ST. Certainly none I had... :wink:

There were at least 6 ethernet cards on the ST (that I've come across)

o BioVME ethernet card
o Riebl ethernet card
o PAMs ethernet card
o Daynaport SCSI/Link
o Becroft Galaxy GFX/ethernet
o Ethernec

The easiest to emulate I would imagine would be a virtual SLIP serial interface to the PC.

http://www.umich.edu/~archive/atari/Info/tcpip.faq

But if you really want to emulate hardware, perhaps the "Daynaport SCSI/Link" would be the next easiest to emulate as it connects to the ST via the DMA port.

http://www.anodynesoftware.com/ethernet/main.htm

You might want to look at the OPENVPN software, which offers a good TAP interface used in other emulators (WinUAE) for emulating ethernet cards at the low level

http://sites.inka.de/~W1011/archive/cip ... 00039.html

http://openvpn.net

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jd » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:26 pm

alexh wrote:
SainT wrote:But if you really want to emulate hardware, perhaps the "Daynaport SCSI/Link" would be the next easiest to emulate as it connects to the ST via the DMA port.

http://www.anodynesoftware.com/ethernet/main.htm

Not directly, on an ST/STE you still need a ACSI/SCSI adaptor such as ICD Link. Will only directly connect to a machine that has native SCSi such as the Falcon.

Social Media

Return to “SainT”