STOT #2/12 Nebulus (starts 7.2.2009) let's write history

Take part in tournaments on your ST or Falcon computers. Feel free to play with the real machine or use an emulator. We're currently playing Son Shu Shi, which is game #18 in Season 4.

Moderators: ThorN, Moderator Team

ThorN
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

STOT #2/12 Nebulus (starts 7.2.2009) let's write history

Postby ThorN » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:28 pm

I have some friends in the german CPC scene and at a Meeting in Jannuar, I heard, that they also have a offline competition on the http://www.cpc-forum.de page.

The main organizer (Cash) also organised a CPC gaming compo at this meeting and we agreed, to do a competition between the CPC forum and our forum.

The CPC forum voted for Nebulus, and cause I remember that some people here also suggested it once, I'm shure, this will be a suitable game.

So I'm happy to announce the first ever combined offline competition !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a historical moment, cause it demonstrate, that all these borders between the systems does not exist, and we are able to cooperate. And it was not a Amiga or a C64 forum who made this possible, it was a ATARI one! We could be a driver in the retro scene if we only put into practise our ideas instead of showing all the time at others maschines.

As I said, we will play Nebulus. The rules are the standard STOT ones. we only will merge the tables in the end after two weeks.

The Tournament starts Saturday after Christos close the Magic Pocket one.

ThorN
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: STOT #2/12 Nebulus (starts 7.2.2009) let's write history

Postby ThorN » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:55 am

Here we go now:

my first score 5150 a joke, I know, but a test if the disk image works, and I also must say, that I never was that good in that game, but's that's why we play it in a STOT compo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:56 pm

53076 for a start...
ssb_nebulus_53076.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:49 pm

Wow, pretty frustrating game :P 2260 was my best after like 4 games. Boo!
tá'n poc ar buile!

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SkylineDave » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:00 pm

3642 ...has to be one of the most frustrating games ive played. i got to the second level, and just fell in and died twice. you can tell how p***ed off i was cos i didnt bother to put my name in! :P

AKA Megadaz / Black Eagle --- STOS, Dungeon Master and Captive fan!

Proud member of the GameBaseST team.
Founder of the one-man DemoBaseST team!

ThorN
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorN » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:35 am

@SkylineDave: Frustrating? Did you played Helter Skelter? :-)

Nebulus is a masterpiece of technics. This tour turning is so cool, even 20 years later.

here a new score: 5816, this time I'm allready in leve 2 ! (wow :-)

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SkylineDave » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:10 am

kRadD wrote:@SkylineDave: Frustrating? Did you played Helter Skelter? :-)

yeah i did - that was frustrating but not as bad as Nebulus! i might have another go soon though, now i have my temper back! :cheers:
AKA Megadaz / Black Eagle --- STOS, Dungeon Master and Captive fan!

Proud member of the GameBaseST team.
Founder of the one-man DemoBaseST team!

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:25 am

Ok, this game has the absolute worst enemy collision detection ever. Probably... I watched a guy run through the C64 version of the game on youtube and it seemed quite forgiving, but I just stood on a platform under one of those horizontal flying assholes, and got killed when I expected it wouldn't touch me. Aaaaargh :|

6222 is my best so far... pfft.
tá'n poc ar buile!

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:07 am

hi

it seems there's only one 'expert player' here (Simonsunnyboy); ps : congrats, really nice score !

i though i was an average player but when i look at the other scores, i don't know why but i feel suddenly 'stronger'... :D

but i guess it's only the beginning of the tournament... so as says the proverb, He who laughs last laughs longest... :wink:

here it is mine by the way Image

neb_end.gif

honestly i think it's a very average score (but i still guess that some people right here would like to do as well as this one :lol: )

i played Nebulus some quite long time ago (only once), so i don't think the score may be valid though

but if i post today, it's especially to know if there are some rules and where i could get them...
i'd like to have answers to some questions if possible : i guess cheats are forbidden :? but how can you be sure that nobody use them? is it like a kind of trust between the players...? also, do you play with real machines or via emulators; and if so, what about the memory snapshot function? is it allowed?

personally, i never use cheats (only when i completed a game and just to test them), but in the other hand i abuse a lot of the 'snapshot function'...

i might be interested in some future 'tournament games', what's why i ask that now :)

thanks for informing... and good luck for the end of the compet' :)... :D... :lol:...Image

(if i play one day, I would better make not to be too bad :wink: )

ThorN
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorN » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:58 am

but if i post today, it's especially to know if there are some rules and where i could get them...
i'd like to have answers to some questions if possible : i guess cheats are forbidden but how can you be sure that nobody use them? is it like a kind of trust between the players...? also, do you play with real machines or via emulators; and if so, what about the memory snapshot function? is it allowed?

personally, i never use cheats (only when i completed a game and just to test them), but in the other hand i abuse a lot of the 'snapshot function'...

i might be interested in some future 'tournament games', what's why i ask that now

thanks for informing... and good luck for the end of the compet' ... ... ...

(if i play one day, I would better make not to be too bad )

First, let's wait until Xerus post his first score :-)
The first scores are very important, to motivate all players, but of course they are more or less training.

Rules and Results are here: http://www.npoi.de/ --> have a look under STOT

We all share a kind of a gentlemen agreement, not to cheat, and if somebody does, it's his personal blame and he only kill his own fun. So we had no problems so far. Also a lot of the people know each other personaly over years, so in a small scene like ours, that's really not a problem at all.

You could use emulators or real maschines, there are no restrictions. I used real maschines a lot, but at the moment I prefer a emulator, simply because i'm not at home and don't have a atari with me.

Using memory snapshots is not allowed. I personaly use them to train the game from time to time. When you want to do a real score, you have to start from the beginning.

I you have some idee's of games for the next rounds, feel free to share them. There is a own thread for that

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=14628

thanks for your questions and your participation, beat your score soon :-)

coy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby coy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:48 pm

thanks, that answers my questions

i think the rules are fair and if i participate in the tournament, i will respect them...

have a good end of 'nebulus tournament' :)

I you have some idee's of games for the next rounds, feel free to share them.

ps : what about Joust? i had this game on a 2600... so i think i might have my chances on this one :)

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:08 pm

coy wrote:also, do you play with real machines or via emulators; and if so, what about the memory snapshot function? is it allowed?

Well, of course if we used memory snapshots, we would all complete the game easily and get a huge score. :D
I use them sometimes to train for a particularly difficult part of a game (e.g. the flying-fish lethal level of Super Starioland, although I used this tactic too late).

I can't understand how you guys find Nebulus so easy though - I played it last night and got to the top level, then the horizontal projectile hit me (unavoidably once I'd spotted it - no way to escape up or down) and I fell all the way down onto another enemy, which caused me to fall straight down into the water. As soon as that happened, I resetted the emulator and barely restrained myself from throwing the laptop out the window....
tá'n poc ar buile!

ThorN
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorN » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:00 am

Just returned from a gaming evening with SSB, and I saw how to finish Nebulus easily.

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:03 am

try and die
try and die
try and die
"tudidudi" (the enemy that appears randomly) fall and die
fall and die
fall and die
Yellow_Colorz_PDT_09
You need a self control for this game :wink:
Here my first attempt=16,684

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:06 pm

kRadD wrote:Just returned from a gaming evening with SSB, and I saw how to finish Nebulus easily.

:D

Thorn's try himself at least got him a new score of 9402 and I took a proof shot from my fuzzy TV:
Thorn_Nebulus_9402.jpg

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:22 pm

To underline the multiplatform character of the current compo, I played Nebulus on CPC too (using the MESS emulator).
I made a score of 44698, lower than my record on ST, but I finished all 8 towers too.

Stay cool, stay Atari!

ThorN
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ThorN » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:30 pm

First time ever I mastered Level II. And thanks to SSB's training I reached Level 4.

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:36 pm

Simonsunnyboy seems to love this game :wink:
You are an expert at Nebulus :)
My new score: 43846

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:44 pm

Don't worry, looks like it is the only game where it is that way... :lol:

Stay cool, stay Atari!

Strider
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Strider » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:08 pm

No scores for me this time because they are too low... I surely must be too dumb to play at Nebulus :lol:
Strider from MJJ Prod
May the TOS be with you!

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:10 pm

Strider wrote:No scores for me this time because they are too low... I surely must be too dumb to play at Nebulus :lol:

Me too... I can get to the second level, but then I'm screwed. I played through a couple of levels using save states (i.e. cheating), and it's still really hard.
It's the kind of game you could only win by memorising not only the exact routes (including backtracking sometimes), but also exact timings in some cases...
tá'n poc ar buile!

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:39 pm

I completed Nebulus (Mission 1) :D

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:43 am

Unfortunately, the scoring of Nebulus is bad :cry:
It doesn't reward the best player !
If you finished the game with one life only, your score will be moderately high.
In fact I could do a much better score than the mine voluntarily losing lives...
It's embarrassing ... :oops:

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:01 am

Yeah, Xerus you got it right :>

71002 - and I finished the game too, in my first record game as well. Actually if you play a perfect game without loosing a life, your score is around 38000-39000 only....
ssb_nebulus_71002.png

Stay cool, stay Atari!

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:12 pm

The technique is simple, you lose your life just before entering the exit (the ideal to the last level) and you begin again until your last life.
JMP should have used the system of Magic Pocket: you lose a life, you recover your previous score.

By the way i can do more than 70k (and you too) but you made the effort to complete the CPC version (too slow for me, i stopped to the 5th tower) so i will let you win, you deserve :)

Social Media

Return to “STOT - ST Offline Tournament”