A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.1.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

handsomegenius
Atarian
Atarian

Hatari loads slow and reports errors on RPi3B running Raspbian

Postby handsomegenius » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:47 am

Hey everyone,

Total noob at this so I hope I am not asking something that's been answered a million times. But I've had a go at searching for an answer and nothing's come up.

I recently got interested in emulating an ST after reading about how widely used it was as a MIDI sequencer back in the day.

I have a spare pi just for fiddling with, so I went and got a new SD card and flashed a fresh image of Raspbian on it and started it up.

Then I updated packages and installed Hatari using apt-get. I went to run it and it said that tos.img wasn't in the right directory.

So I did a bit of a google of what that meant and then went and downloaded EmuTOS from Sourceforge. I put the image file in the and renamed it to tos.img.

Now, it starts up.. but it takes AGES to load. And then when I exit, the terminal is full of error messages like "bus error" and "illegal instruction".. so clearly something is a bit off.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a better way to install hatari? Should I be compiling it from the source? Have I done something wrong with emutos?

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Hatari loads slow and reports errors on RPi3B running Raspbian

Postby ThorstenOtto » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:38 am

handsomegenius wrote:Have I done something wrong with emutos?

The current EmuTOS version is hosted on github, maybe you are using an older version?

Also, at least some of the bus-error messages are normal, unlike TOS, EmuTOS checks the available hardware, and you will get those message from hardwre that is not present on the machine you are emulating. As long as your programs don't crash with a panic message, you don't have to worry about that.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:48 am

Please define "ages". Also: What do you mean by "load"? To the boot screen? To the desktop? How long does it take for the EmuTOS boot screen to appear? How long does it take for the desktop to appear?

Atari TOS and EmuTOS try to read the floppy drive (on Hatari as well as on real hardware). If there is no floppy (i.e. floppy image on an emulator) inserted, it will repeatedly try until a timeout occurs. This prolongs the boot time of Atari TOS and EmuTOS. Try creating an empty floppy image within Hatari and load the image into drive A:. Does it speed up things?

handsomegenius
Atarian
Atarian

Postby handsomegenius » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:43 am

Thanks guys, much appreciated and genuinely helpful.

czietz, it gets to the EmuTOS boot screen almost instantly.. it's going from there to the desktop that takes a while.. I haven't run a stopwatch on it but it's several minutes. Then when it's up to the desktop, it's laggy as hell.

I didn't know about the floppy thing, I will try with that :)

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:10 pm

If it's several minutes, your Hatari version isn't built properly, or your raspi is otherwise too slow for Hatari.

Are you by any chance emulating something else than 8Mhz ST / STE?

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”