Underscore character

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.1.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Underscore character

Postby jury » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:17 pm

How do I type the underscore character in Hatari?
When I press the _ key I get a "?" typed, when I press ? key I also get "?" typed. Tried with tos 1.62 us and uk.
Version of Hatari is not known to me as I can not find where it can be checked. I have 2 or 3 different Hatari's at my machine, but I guess the one I'm using is 2.0.0 ( but its just a guess )

Edit:
BTW, in Steem this character types fine.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Underscore character

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:30 pm

I guess you either use different TOS version with STEEM than with Hatari, or STEEM is lacking emulation for Atari keyboard.

Your TOS version determines what symbol each key (position) will output. You need to use a TOS version where the "_" key is where you expect it to be.

For example, I've set my PC desktop to use Finnish keyboard layout because my keyboard has Finnish layout. Otherwise I wouldn't get "_" symbol from "_" key even on my PC desktop (whether it's Linux, Windows or Mac).

You need to do the same thing for the emulated Atari, by using suitable TOS version. With the Finnish version of EmuTOS, I *do* get "_" character when I press "_" key on my Finnish keyboard. Same thing with German Atari TOS, but in the English TOS versions "_" symbol is in a different place.

If you want to, you can also give Hatari a keymap file which tells Hatari which symbols you want for each key. See "keymap-sample.txt" in Hatari doc/ directory for an example and Hatari manual for more documentation.

This shows the keycodes for each Atari key:

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:56 am

Eero Tamminen wrote:I guess you either use different TOS version with STEEM than with Hatari, or STEEM is lacking emulation for Atari keyboard.

The TOS image files are in one folder from which Hatari and Steem is configured. And I of course tried to press all the possible keys on the keyboard, but maybe missed somethind, so will check it more shortly. Thanks for the info.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:27 am

Apart from the custom mapping, there's far more easier method (at least it works for me every time I see something else printed): change "Keyboard mapping" from "Symbol" to "Scancode" in the Keyboard menu. That way I always get the symbol I want.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:51 pm

Changing from Symbol to Scancode resolved missing character! Thanks for the tip.

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”