Re: Hatari 2.0 beta to test for windows

Postby npomarede » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:06 am

highway wrote:Hi
Here is the result I got :
falcon.jpg
I'ts when trying to change atari resolution to 1024x768
When keeping the default one (but, small) it seems to work fine

Hi
after checking this on Atari mailing list, this problem was in fact described in Hatari's manual :
https://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari/raw-file/tip/doc/manual.html#The_Atari_Monitor_Dialog

Basically, TOS4 doesn't support extended VDI resolution ; you need to use EmuTOS for this.
A popup message has been added to Hatari to warn the user in case he uses Falcon + TOS 4 + VDI

Nicolas

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:36 am

npomarede wrote:Basically, TOS4 doesn't support extended VDI resolution ; you need to use EmuTOS for this.
A popup message has been added to Hatari to warn the user in case he uses Falcon + TOS 4 + VDI

Question - what's the problem? Basically, TOS4 is the most flexible of all when it comes to screen resolutions.

Perhaps I could help.
Ain't no space like PeP-space.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:05 pm

shoggoth wrote:
npomarede wrote:Basically, TOS4 doesn't support extended VDI resolution ; you need to use EmuTOS for this.

Question - what's the problem? Basically, TOS4 is the most flexible of all when it comes to screen resolutions.

Perhaps I could help.

Hi
I don't really know as I barely use VDI myself ; maybe other Hatari devs who looked into this could comment (but basically it seems TOS4 is flexible about resolutions (VGA or example), but not about VDI resolutions)
Nicolas

highway
Atariator
Atariator

Postby highway » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:06 pm

npomarede wrote:
highway wrote:Hi
Here is the result I got :
falcon.jpg
I'ts when trying to change atari resolution to 1024x768
When keeping the default one (but, small) it seems to work fine

Hi
after checking this on Atari mailing list, this problem was in fact described in Hatari's manual :
https://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari/raw-file/tip/doc/manual.html#The_Atari_Monitor_Dialog

Basically, TOS4 doesn't support extended VDI resolution ; you need to use EmuTOS for this.

Nicolas

Thanks a lot !
Were are you from, in FR ?

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:17 pm

highway wrote:Were are you from, in FR ?

Paris

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:01 pm

shoggoth wrote:Question - what's the problem? Basically, TOS4 is the most flexible of all when it comes to screen resolutions.

VDI mode is a hack to get larger resolutions with ST(e) emulation, it:
* Changes memtop & phystop system variables at start so that screen has enough memory for the "VDI" resolution
* On VDI workstation open modifies screen size related VDI and Line-A variables accordingly

For details of latter, seeVDI_Complete() and VDI_LineA() in:
https://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/ ... /src/vdi.c

All Videl resolutions work fine Hatari (and TOS v4). Hatari Falcon emulation users should use normal Atari facilities for setting suitable Videl resolution instead of using the VDI mode hack, which is also Hatari manual recommendation:
https://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/ ... tor_Dialog

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:50 am

TOS4 basically installs VDI screen drivers through Vsetscreen() and Blitmode(). Don't think older TOS versions do it the same way. So TOS4 is a special case (but a more flexible one, tbh).

Then again all this can be achieved using std falcon screen enhancers afaik. I used Hatari when developing the Supervidel drivers.

Personally I wouldn't mind having some more efficient "fake hardware" (native blitter + chunky modes). Drivers could be written to support it.

shoggoth
Nature
Nature

Postby shoggoth » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:53 am

npomarede wrote:Hi
I don't really know as I barely use VDI myself ; maybe other Hatari devs who looked into this could comment (but basically it seems TOS4 is flexible about resolutions (VGA or example), but not about VDI resolutions)
Nicolas

Quite the contrary - it's A LOT more flexible compared to older TOS revisions. It can easily be accelerated and extended.

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”