HELP key on small external Mac keyboard?

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.1.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

PeyloW
Atarian
Atarian

HELP key on small external Mac keyboard?

Postby PeyloW » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:53 pm

Mon ST key combination for interrupting a running program is Shift-Alt-HELP. Kid of a pickle, I have not figured out how to press HELP on a Mac keyboard.

Any help?

According to the Hatari manual HELP is bound to SDL PageUp key. So I guess any hint on how to rebind this, could help as well.

mrdalliard
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: HELP key on small external Mac keyboard?

Postby mrdalliard » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:45 pm

I'm going to bump this thread up, if I may. I just transferred a load of STOS stuff onto Hatari. Unfortunately, to invoke the compiler, I need to press the "help" key, which is tough when you've got a Macbook Air. If anyone's got any suggestions on how to map that key to another combination, I'd be grateful.

M.
--
520 STFM.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:01 pm

Maybe there's something useful in this thread.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:14 pm

I have a Mac keyboard (actually a third-party keyboard) and I remapped the ST Help key to F13 on my keyboard. I realize the standard Mac keyboard does not have an F13.

I used the keytest.prg program in tests/keymap folder (when you download the source) to determine the correct scancode to enter into keymap.txt (default name that Hatari always loads for the keymapping). This program allows you to hit any key and it shows you the value that is generated on the ST. Keymap.txt is put in the same directory as the Hatari application package.

# 294 = F13, 98 = ST Help key

I looked in the Hatari source code to find the hex value for the Help key. Looking at the code, it is 0x62 (98 Decimal). Since I needed a decimal value, I did a simple conversion and came up with 98. I commented my keymap.txt file in case I ever had to do this again.

There may be an easier way to do this, but it worked for me.

Bob C

mrdalliard
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby mrdalliard » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:23 pm

I got there in the end, thanks. I was having a senior moment and I think I forgot to reboot the ST a few times once I'd changed the configuration, so these are the only two I needed.

27,98 (My escape key is now my 'help' key)
92,96 (My '\' key now does what it should).

Thanks for everyone's help.

M.
--
520 STFM.

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”