Not able to write to blank disks - issue

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v2.0.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

Gonesolo
Atarian
Atarian

Not able to write to blank disks - issue

Postby Gonesolo » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:45 pm

Has anyone else seen this. I have Hatari installed on Ubuntu 14.04 and its almost 100% for me.

I do have one issue. I can not create a write to a blank disk.
I can create a disk image using the button in the Hatari GUI

However I can not write to it or format it with ST OS or a running game.

I've tried setting write protection to ON/OFF/AUTO none have made any difference.

Any suggestions.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Not able to write to blank disks - issue

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:11 am

Does even "Save Desktop" from GEM desktop fail to save "desktop.inf" file to the floppy image? Or is it just some specific kinds of writes that fail (like write track ones used by TOS when doing formatting)?

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:36 pm

Gonesolo wrote:Has anyone else seen this. I have Hatari installed on Ubuntu 14.04 and its almost 100% for me.

I do have one issue. I can not create a write to a blank disk.
I can create a disk image using the button in the Hatari GUI

However I can not write to it or format it with ST OS or a running game.

I've tried setting write protection to ON/OFF/AUTO none have made any difference.

Any suggestions.

What version of Hatari are you using? I do remember having a problem with writing data to SD and HD floppy images at one time. However, Nicolas fixed it months ago. I am running OS X so I cannot test the Linux version, but I was able to write to floppy images using the official 1.7 version and the current development version of 1.8.

Bob C

Gonesolo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Gonesolo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:33 pm

ok so the version of Hatari I have is showing as 1.7, however its showing as Hatari UI (is there a difference)

I can "Save Desktop" and it creates the file on the floppy disk but I can not format from the desktop it gives an error. and I'm still getting the error trying to save from games.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:02 pm

Try to use a normal 720kB Atari *.ST Image and delete the Files on it, than use this empty Image ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:19 pm

Gonesolo wrote:ok so the version of Hatari I have is showing as 1.7, however its showing as Hatari UI (is there a difference)

I can "Save Desktop" and it creates the file on the floppy disk but I can not format from the desktop it gives an error. and I'm still getting the error trying to save from games.

I think the Hatari UI designation is for the Python UI that Hatari uses in Linux. However, I will defer to one of the Hatari developers on that.

I also see the error when attempting to format the disk from the GEM desktop. I am not sure that Hatari could ever format the disk directly from the desktop. However, I was able to successfully save data to the MicroProse Soccer data disk (saves data on your tournament progress, match length, etc). The data disk is a blank disk that I created in Hatari.

I will say that I am using the 1.8 development version of Hatari.

Bob C

Gonesolo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Gonesolo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:05 pm

I'm testing two games specifically.

Hero Quest and Deutrous (actually I've just not tested any others so far)
When I click save they complain its not a game disk and when I click format I get an error has occured, which references to write protection being off but I know it is off.

I've tried creating a new disk in Hatari.
I've made a copy of my game disk and tried using that.
I even tried creating a disk using Makedisk as I have access to a Windows machine.

None of which work.

Gonesolo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Gonesolo » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:47 pm

ok tried to work around the problem I have xSteem installed on my machine (can't get sound or Xbox controller working but it can access disks)
so I created disk images in Xsteem. booted my games formatted as required and even saved a game on each.

however when I go back to Hatari my file name for my blank disk now has a second file called original.msa.steembpb and the image is completely useless and once again Hatari can't read/write to it.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:54 am

Gonesolo wrote:ok so the version of Hatari I have is showing as 1.7, however its showing as Hatari UI (is there a difference)

I don't think FDC type III command 'write track' (needed by TOS formatting) is supported in that version. TOS formatting seems to fail also in very latest Hatari version, although there's no error message from Hatari. I've sent a mail about that to hatari-devel mailing list.

Game saves should work though. In what game(s) you have save issues? And if you run Hatari from command line, do you see any messages from Hatari when saving fails?

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:56 am

Hatari doesn't support "write track" command for ST & MSA images because those diska image formats cannot contain such information. V1.8 will again give a warning about this.

If there are games which require support for such command, you need to use a different disk image format, one that supports storing the extra information on tracks (between sectors). Hatari v1.8 will have support for reading STX images which contain such information, and separate data files for storing written data.

If you encounter games that require such feature, please list them e.g. here.

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:27 pm

I am having the same problem with Hatari 1.70 under Windows. I can create 720K floppies and read and write to them just fine but when I create a 1.44MB HD floppy image I can not write or format the newly created floppy either. To create the HD floppy I chose 80 Tracks, 18 Sectors, and 2 Sides.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Hippy Dave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Hippy Dave » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:39 pm

New Version:
http://download.tuxfamily.org/hatari/test_1.9.0/
v1.7 has your problem, v1.8 doesn't

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:58 pm

V1.8 Crashed on Boot so I stayed away from it. I will have to see how 1.9 works.

Thanks
Atari Gamer
FireBee

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:53 pm

The V1.90 appears that the floppy is working now but no ACSI drive image access. I'd rather not have floppy access if given the choice.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:53 pm

fmh wrote:The V1.90 appears that the floppy is working now but no ACSI drive image access. I'd rather not have floppy access if given the choice.

What means "no ACSI drive image access"? I.e. What you do, what happens and what you expect to happen instead? Any error messages on console?

Which TOS version and emulated machine you're using (e.g. original Falcon doesn't support ACSI, only IDE)?

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:53 pm

I am using an ACSI Drive Image containing 68K MiNT. I leave the configuration alone and run the 1.70 Hatari.exe and I can boot into C: and MiNT. If I run the 1.90 Hatari.exe C: is not available at all. Both the 1.70 and 1.90 are using the exact same configuration file as only thing that changes is the .EXE that I run.

I am using TOS 2.06.

I do not have access to the machine at the moment so I do not know what the console says.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

Hippy Dave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Hippy Dave » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:46 pm

Hatari may have been improved since v1.7, and one must check the manual for correct operation.
Otherwise FreeBSD may have changed.
http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/h ... isk_images

attle
Atari User
Atari User

Postby attle » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:52 pm

I am having issues with this too. I am just creating standard DD and am attempting to write some files to A:

Everything looks fine an dandy in Hatari, but the .ST file is untouched so it just looks like a blank disk in my MiST. How do I know the file is untouched? They have the same MD5 after I copied the files in Hatari..

On OSX, Hatari 1.8.0

Hippy Dave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Hippy Dave » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:22 pm

attle wrote:I am having issues with this too. I am just creating standard DD and am attempting to write some files to A:

Everything looks fine an dandy in Hatari, but the .ST file is untouched so it just looks like a blank disk in my MiST. How do I know the file is untouched? They have the same MD5 after I copied the files in Hatari..

On OSX, Hatari 1.8.0

If you can write data to the .st image in Hatari, exit Hatari, then read the .st image in Hatari at a later time... then all is ok. Otherwise, something is wrong with OSX/Hatari.

attle
Atari User
Atari User

Postby attle » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:56 am

Hippy Dave wrote:If you can write data to the .st image in Hatari, exit Hatari, then read the .st image in Hatari at a later time... then all is ok. Otherwise, something is wrong with OSX/Hatari.

Thank you, that was it! :cheers:

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:54 pm

I'm attempting to run a .STX format floppy disc image of 'The Guild Of Thieves' (text adventure game by Magnetic Scrolls) and although the game runs absolutely fine I can't save my game. If I try, TGOT goes away for a little while and then announces 'Bad Save - Ouch'.

Preserved on the disc image is a readme message from the publishers that the game disc should always be kept write protected, so presumably you have to flip out the game disc just before you save, save your game, and then put the game disc back in to continue playing. I'm not aware of any way to make TGOT use drive B: (If present) for saved games.

Initially I tried letting the game save onto the 'game disc' since it's just an image and if saving to it damages it in some way, I can just get a fresh copy of the image.

When that didn't work, I tried doing the Hatari equivalent of a disc swap - at the point where I wanted to save the game, into the F12 menu, eject the game disc from drive A:, specify my 'blank disc' image as the new drive A:, exit from the F12 menu back into the game and try to save the game - same result - 'ouch'.

Any idea what may be going on here? I'm running Hatari 1.8.0 as originally released, but with one patch applied, the one discussed in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=27068

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:44 pm

OK, I found a 'Workaround' with respect to saved games in 'The Guild Of Thieves'. Untypically the interaction with this game, even during file saves and loads, is entirely 'Command Line'. Even Infocom games gave you a file dialogue box for game saves and loads. 'The Guild Of Thieves' just asks you for a filename.

However, just on the off-chance, I tried including a drive letter in the filename and it works, so if you have the main .STX game disc image in drive A: and a Hatari-made blank disc image in B: then, when you type 'save' and the game prompts you for a filename, just type 'B:filename' and the game accepts that path as valid and successfully writes the saved game to the blank disc image in B:

For loading games, as you would expect, the process is 'Load', and then, when prompted for the filename, enter 'B:filename'. The onus is upon the player to remember which name they used for the game they want to load. Pretty crude.

af0l
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby af0l » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:30 am

Ok, maybe something got lost in translation here, but - is there a way to have a blank floppy image in Hatari (on OSX if that matters) to format and use as save game disk? I've tried .st, .msa, .stx with no luck...

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:32 pm

With most games, the uncompressed floppy images generated by Hatari should work fine. How saving from a game works, depends a lot on the game though. Which game you're trying to use?

Note: Easiest way to do game saves is using Hatari memory snapshots instead of trying to use game's own facilities for saving things. (Only drawback for the memory snapshots is that normally they aren't compatible between different Hatari versions, they're tied to the specific Hatari version with which they were created.)

af0l
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby af0l » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:42 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:With most games, the uncompressed floppy images generated by Hatari should work fine. How saving from a game works, depends a lot on the game though. Which game you're trying to use?

Note: Easiest way to do game saves is using Hatari memory snapshots instead of trying to use game's own facilities for saving things. (Only drawback for the memory snapshots is that normally they aren't compatible between different Hatari versions, they're tied to the specific Hatari version with which they were created.)

Thanks for the answer Eero. I was trying CAdaver and Powermonger. Both games seem to want to format the disk before first use. As track writes are not supported, this seems to be the problem.

Snapshot is a good option, but I sometimes play "on the road" in Hatari, but at home I'd like to use real HW with Gotek + HxC. So what I'm after is really an image that works in both...

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”