How to reset HATARI?

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v2.0.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

Omikronman
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

How to reset HATARI?

Postby Omikronman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:39 am

Forget it. Someone placed the hatari config file in a hidden folder somewhere on the Macintosh. That means: When Hatari gets stuck because of bad settings, you are struggling around for hours to find these hidden folder to delete the bad config file. >.<

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: How to reset HATARI?

Postby darwinmac » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:51 am

That's because of Hatari's Linux roots. All of the developers use it. In Linux, a dot directory is standard.

I realize that a plist file would be the Mac standard. While Hatari has some Linux leanings, I'm happy there is a Mac version at all.

Bob C

rudis
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rudis » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:24 pm

look at /Users/yourusername/.hatari

Omikronman
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Omikronman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:14 pm

I used a tool to find these hidden folder. Apples Spotlight doesn´t. Even if I told it to find system files also, it didn´t. That´s quite annoying. Tnx for the help btw. :)

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:18 pm

Omikronman wrote:Forget it. Someone placed the hatari config file in a hidden folder somewhere on the Macintosh. That means: When Hatari gets stuck because of bad settings, you are struggling around for hours to find these hidden folder to delete the bad config file. >.<

What kind of bad settings? Only problem I've encountered was when porting Hatari to a phone which had a single (small) resolution and if user saved too large Hatari display settings. Current Hatari shouldn't anymore accept invalid screen sizes (as SDL nowadays provides API for querying the screen size), so that problem should be fixed on Hatari side. You can still have buggy SDL library though (on libSDL issues, please file bug against SDL).

If Hatari starts up, one should be able to save config file somewhere else, edit it to correct the annoying setting and start Hatari with the modified config file (using "-c" option). One can then save that config as default.

Omikronman
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Omikronman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:24 pm

I selected TOS 1.2/1.02. My preferences were set to ST in full screen. Hatari started with full screen. The screen went black immediately. The only keys that were working were CMD+ALT+ESC to force Hatari to quit. No chance at all to get into the menus and settings again. Switching back to windowed mode via CMD+F did not work. That was why I had to kill that config file. Hatari itself thought the settings may work, but they didn´t. :-/

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:42 pm

Omikronman wrote:I selected TOS 1.2/1.02. My preferences were set to ST in full screen. Hatari started with full screen. The screen went black immediately. The only keys that were working were CMD+ALT+ESC to force Hatari to quit. No chance at all to get into the menus and settings again. Switching back to windowed mode via CMD+F did not work. That was why I had to kill that config file. Hatari itself thought the settings may work, but they didn´t. :-/

That sounds like libSDL issue. SDL OSX backend seems to have been always very buggy. Please make sure you have a working SDL library version or complain to upstream SDL project (or to Apple that their changes break SDL).

Omikronman
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Omikronman » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:46 pm

I remember Hatari using SDL. For couriosity, Hatari did not ask for SDL but for X11 instead.

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:09 pm

Yes, Hatari uses SDL. However, there is a current problem with the cmake script on OS X that adds an X11 dependency if it finds X11 on the compiling system. This should be fixed eventually.

I did upload to here my compiled version (10.8 only) that does not ask for X11. The version from tuxfamily can run on more Macs but it does require X11.

SDL is built into the application bundle so you do not need to have it installed to use Hatari. I would try running Hatari with just the included SDL. You might have another version installed that is causing problems for Hatari. I have been able to run the tuxfamily and my version in fullscreen mode without a problem.

Bob C

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”