Horizontal black border part with Hextracker ?

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v2.0.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

ljbk
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Horizontal black border part with Hextracker ?

Postby ljbk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi !

While doing some tests with Hatari 1.62 under Windows, i found out that the lower part of the bottom border is shown in black when Hextracker is playing anything with option VU selected when working in NTSC/60 Hz.
As the code does not change logical color 0 during replay and synch and resolution registers are not touched, i do not understand why this happens.
The VU uses HBL rasters but for logical colour 2: $FF8244 in color mode.

To reproduce the behaviour, just open the program at 60 Hz, press OUTPUT, unselect all back stuff except V.U. and press PLAY.

Sorry about that,
Paulo.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Horizontal black border part with Hextracker ?

Postby npomarede » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi,
I can't reproduce this ; I tried with Hatari 1.6.2 and dev version with hextracker 0.837.
VU meters are fine and bottom of the screen is OK.
What you describe looks like if the whole screen was not correctly repainted when going to 60 Hz (as 60 Hz displays less lines than 50 Hz, the last line of the screen should not be used in 60 Hz and might display black line).
But if that was the case, you would see this always, even under the GEM desktop, not just when pressing the "play" button.

Are you using the "show borders" option or running in fullscreen with F11 when you reproduce this ?

Nicolas

ljbk
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ljbk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:27 am

Hi !

I am using windowed mode.
The program does not switch to 60 Hz. If it is launched at 60 Hz, it will stay like that but use a timer to synch instead of the VBL or HBL.
I attach the desktop images rip with PLAY active and without PLAY active, after pressing space.

Bye,
Paulo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:00 am

I also used a program to switch to 60 Hz before testing, but I couldn't reproduce.
In your screenshot, there're no color in the vu meter while playing the song ? It's only white ?

ljbk
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ljbk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:09 am

npomarede wrote:I also used a program to switch to 60 Hz before testing, but I couldn't reproduce.
In your screenshot, there're no color in the vu meter while playing the song ? It's only white ?

Because, i loaded no MOD ...
You don't need to. If you want i can load one.
I forgot to say that the OS is Vista 64 bit and that this happens for all output types (STE or STF).

Paulo.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:12 am

ljbk wrote:I am using windowed mode

Are you using WinUAE or old UAE CPU core version of Hatari? This is a Hatari build time option and WinUAE CPU core is intended only for Falcon emulation.

ljbk
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ljbk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:18 am

Eero Tamminen wrote:
ljbk wrote:I am using windowed mode

Are you using WinUAE or old UAE CPU core version of Hatari? This is a Hatari build time option and WinUAE CPU core is intended only for Falcon emulation.

Hi !

I am not sure i understand what you mean.
I am using the Hatari.exe executable, not the Hatari_falcon.exe executable, of hatari-1.6.2_windows.zip downloaded from the download site that is 2.471.590 bytes long.
I do not know which core was used to make that build.

Paulo.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:57 pm

If I start hextracker and play en empty song, I don't get the black bottom.
But if I save a memory snapshot before play, the restart hatari with this snapshot and play an empty song, I get the black bottom. This is strange, looks like something not correctly restored in 60 Hz, but I can't see what.
From the traces, I see that only color ff8244 is changed while playing.

Something must trigger this bug only while playing (the bottom bar is exactly 16 pixels, which is the difference between showing 47 lines in bottom border 50 Hz and 29 lines in bottom border 60 Hz), it's possible there's a side effect when the color is changed and screen freq is evaluated to compute if the color should be store on a visible line or not (this part of the code is unnecessary complicated in Hatari, I would not be surprised it some bugs were hidden in it).

I will add more debug info to Hatari to track this.

Nicolas

ljbk
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ljbk » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:21 am

Hi !

At least, you can now reproduce the problem. :)
The changes to logical color 2 ($FF8244) occurr at lines 152,154,...,178 and 180.
No color change occurs after the end of line 200.

Good luck !
Paulo.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:14 am

npomarede wrote:But if I save a memory snapshot before play, the restart hatari with this snapshot and play an empty song, I get the black bottom. This is strange, looks like something not correctly restored in 60 Hz, but I can't see what.

yep, I also faced an issue with memory snapshot, I use daily Hatari build from that site: http://antarctica.no/~hatari/latest/
In TT mode sometimes colors are wrongly restored and very often ST Low is not doubled
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”