A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v2.0.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

thespirit3
Atarian
Atarian

Hatari on Pi?

Postby thespirit3 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi All,

Has anyone had any luck running Hatari on a Raspberry Pi?

Under X it seems practically unusable but outside X it seems quite responsive. However, outside X I can only get VDI modes to display (not the standard ST resolutions) so games/demos etc all fail.

My first attempts were to just run Hatari in X (window-managerless) but I soon realised Hatari wasn't doing what I expected. It seemed to be opening a SVGAlib style display (and not using X at all). However, looking at the lib dependencies Hatari only uses SDL? I thought SDL was X only? I'm very confused :)

Regardless, running Hatari from the console results in high frame rates and responsiveness but non-native Atari resolutions. Running Hatari under X results in native resolutions but noticable lag on the Gem desktop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

Ato
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Hatari on Pi?

Postby Ato » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:11 pm

Perhaps SDL cannot set the requested resolution and falls back to Vesa-only like resolutions? Perhaps http://www.libsdl.org/ can provide an answer.

Cheers,
T.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:41 pm

Yes, it seems like there's some problem with SDL. What's your SDL version and X resolution? Does your X have single fixed resolution (like some embedded devices I've used had), or does it support multiple resolution?

Something that you could try is disable fullscreen, zooming and borders with "-w -z 1 --borders off" to see whether Hatari then gets a suitable window from SDL.

novoline
Atari User
Atari User

Postby novoline » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:32 pm

I'm unable to get Hatari to run in console (goes to black screen, no response, need to hard reboot), I'm using Wheezy 18-9-12. Are you using any specific parameters to get it to run in console?

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:30 pm

novoline wrote:I'm unable to get Hatari to run in console (goes to black screen, no response, need to hard reboot), I'm using Wheezy 18-9-12. Are you using any specific parameters to get it to run in console?

I don't understand your question. I just run Hatari from console. Do you have (text) console access to your device?

patrick295767
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby patrick295767 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:20 pm

thespirit3 wrote:Hi All,

Has anyone had any luck running Hatari on a Raspberry Pi?

Under X it seems practically unusable but outside X it seems quite responsive. However, outside X I can only get VDI modes to display (not the standard ST resolutions) so games/demos etc all fail.

My first attempts were to just run Hatari in X (window-managerless) but I soon realised Hatari wasn't doing what I expected. It seemed to be opening a SVGAlib style display (and not using X at all). However, looking at the lib dependencies Hatari only uses SDL? I thought SDL was X only? I'm very confused :)

Regardless, running Hatari from the console results in high frame rates and responsiveness but non-native Atari resolutions. Running Hatari under X results in native resolutions but noticable lag on the Gem desktop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

On Sheeva, it works. It is almost same as Pi.

However, I must say that the Alsa ** (is not good) on any sheeva's. For Pi sound hw is much better.

novoline
Atari User
Atari User

Postby novoline » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:29 pm

I strongly suggest everyone installing the new RISC OS release for the rPi and getting !Hatari, it runs perfectly! I'm personally trying to find a way to get MIDI I/O, but games are running just fine
http://www.norisc-nofun.co.uk/Software.html

LaurentS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby LaurentS » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:49 pm

I'd like to give it a try.
Is there a tuto to explain how to install riskos on the rPI ?

'I've got a 16 go memory card and the img seems to be for a 2 go card. I'd like to be able to use the 16 go to put some atari roms on my memory card, so I'd like to extend the memory card to 2 go to 16 go, is it possible with Riskos ?)
Regards

Laurent

LaurentS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby LaurentS » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi Novoline,

I've installed Riscos under my PI, installed Hatari from the link you gave to us and launched it.

I've tested 3 OS on my PI : fedora, raspbian and RiscOS.
There's no comparaison : RiscOS is definitely the fastest of the 3.

Hatari run the fastest too under RiscOS, but I've got many questions, if you could help :

- if I use emutos, it seems to run much faster than if I use a TOS 1.04. Is it the same for you ?
- I can't save my conf file in the GUI menu, it freezes the rasbperry PI (I have to swith it down from the power supply link)
- I can't run any game (Ive downloaded 1943, which runs well under my hatari linux), but hatari PI always run to the desktop (it seems to loose the param in the GUI, if I close the GUI and open it again, it has loose the name of the game.

Is there something special to do to have hatari launch a game ?

Should I put my games ROM into a specific directory ? With some specific parameters ?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Regards
Laurent / Thadoss

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:13 pm

novoline wrote:I'm personally trying to find a way to get MIDI I/O

This is explained in the Hatari documentation: http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/h ... -linux.txt

kresopuskaric
Atarian
Atarian

Postby kresopuskaric » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:25 am

Hello everyone,

Have one issue when running Hatari from console (without X).
When using lowres or midres everything is fine, everything is as it should be.
However when starting in hires (mono) mode colors are simply wrong, two very similar blue(ish) colors are used instead of black and white which in turn make it impossible to do anything.
Have tried with two different ArchLinux distributions but behaviour is the same.

My configuration:
RaspberryPi model B, LCD TV (LG 32LH7000), A+V connection via HDMI.
OS: ArchLinux (ARMv5 2012-06-13 and ARMv6hf 2012-09-18)

Any ideas or sugegstions?

Best regards,
Krešimir

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:29 pm

kresopuskaric wrote:Have one issue when running Hatari from console (without X).
However when starting in hires (mono) mode colors are simply wrong, two very similar blue(ish) colors are used instead of black and white which in turn make it impossible to do anything.
Have tried with two different ArchLinux distributions but behaviour is the same.

My configuration:

I just tried Hatari v1.3.1 on my old N900 Nokia phone and monochrome mode works fine there, so at least there doesn't seem to be any ARM specific issue in Hatari (could be a problem in your SDL library).

You could try forcing a different internal bit-depth with the Hatari "--bpp" option and see whether there's any difference. By default Hatari uses 16-bit I think.

patrick295767
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby patrick295767 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:50 am

Eero Tamminen wrote:
kresopuskaric wrote:Have one issue when running Hatari from console (without X).

My configuration:

I just tried Hatari v1.3.1 on my old N900 Nokia phone and monochrome mode works fine there, so at least there doesn't seem to be any ARM specific issue in Hatari (could be a problem in your SDL library).

You could try forcing a different internal bit-depth with the Hatari "--bpp" option and see whether there's any difference. By default Hatari uses 16-bit I think.

Nice. Which distro are you using on the N900 - archlinux as well?

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:15 pm

patrick295767 wrote:Nice. Which distro are you using on the N900 - archlinux as well?

No, the Maemo Linux distribution which is pre-installed on these Nokia phones (I was involved in Maemo development).

I've uploaded the Hatari package to Maemo repositories:
http://maemo.org/packages/view/hatari/

In case you want to take a look at the Debian packaging.

(Fremantle repositories are for N900 phones, Diablo ones for N8x0 internet tablets.)

waSTE
Atariator
Atariator

Postby waSTE » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:09 pm

Could someone tell me if Hatari on RISCOS / Linux is accurate in terms of smooth scrolling, etc?

I would buy a Pi solely to run it as an ST emulator but the minute I see any juddering in scrolling it kinda ruins the illusion for me.

LaurentS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby LaurentS » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:54 pm

Hi,

I've tested hatari under 2 confs with my R-PI (256 Meg)

under rasbpian : it lags a lot, really not fluide
under riscos : it's full speed (st only, the falcon is, of course, slower).

It's really amazing how hatari runs well under Riscos.

- I've noticed 2 problems : impossibility to save the hatari conf file (I edited it by hand)
- .st files (or .msa, I don't remember which one of them) don't load.

I've tested many programs and they work amazingly well.

Regards

Laurent

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:10 pm

LaurentS wrote:Hi,

I've tested hatari under 2 confs with my R-PI (256 Meg)

under rasbpian : it lags a lot, really not fluide
under riscos : it's full speed (st only, the falcon is, of course, slower).

It's really amazing how hatari runs well under Riscos.

- I've noticed 2 problems : impossibility to save the hatari conf file (I edited it by hand)
- .st files (or .msa, I don't remember which one of them) don't load.

I've tested many programs and they work amazingly well.

Regards

Laurent

I think .MSA files have this problem but I don't know why. I experienced this when I tried porting Hatari to the GP2X Wiz which has an ARM cpu too.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

LaurentS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby LaurentS » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:24 pm

I've verified, you're right, it's MSA that have a problem.
.ST files work well.

Laurent

waSTE
Atariator
Atariator

Postby waSTE » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:04 pm

Thanks chaps, think I'll get a Pi then and try it out.. I've been waiting for an excuse to get one :D

LaurentS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby LaurentS » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi,

It's a really nice and cheap computer.
It's a bit slow (if you want to use it as a computer) under raspbian, and quite fast under RiscOS.

You can do many things with it.

A very interresting link (I haven't tried it yet) : http://chameleon.enging.com/node/74

This image seems quite easy to use, and was built specifically for multi machine emulation with the PI.
Several computers are emulated (spectrum, commodore, ATARI, ...) and consoles (mame, game boy, Snes, ...)

I'll try it one of these days.

Regards

Laurent

ToasTuk
Atari freak
Atari freak

Hatari on Pi?

Postby ToasTuk » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:23 pm

Looks interesting, should suit my jaguar cased pi rather well ;)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364854973.347102.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ToasT
ATARI Machines:
64bit: Jaguar + CD unit + Alpine, tap tap, jag link,pro controller
32bit: Abaq(ATW800) + Charity(Blossom), Falcon CT63, Falcon 030 (*2), TT030
16bit: MegaSTE, STe, MegaST, MegaST4, STFM, STF, Stacy
8bit: 130XE
http://www.funkymicros.com
Life: its all about the journey.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:19 am

simonsunnyboy wrote:I think .MSA files have this problem but I don't know why.

I've never tried MSA files on ARM because I had converted all my MSA files to ST.gz (as gzip offers superior compression). Just convert the MSA files to .ST files with hmsa and then gzip them...

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:12 pm

MSA might not compress as good but it still is defacto standard for disk imaging. Users might want to simply run stuffs without having to know that they need to convert the file first.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”