ATARI keys on MAC keyboard

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE/Falcon emulator - the current version is v2.2.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

paule
Atarian
Atarian

ATARI keys on MAC keyboard

Postby paule » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:07 am

Anybody who can tell me how I can find the ctrl-key of the ATARI keyboard on a MAC-Mini bluetouth-keyboard (without numeric keypad)? How to use the numeric keypad of the ATARI? Is there any table/diagram 1:1 ATARI to MAC available?

Thanks in advance.

JonB
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: ATARI keys on MAC keyboard

Postby JonB » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:11 pm

Some advice for key mapping here

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=22271

I'm going to assume you are using Hatari 1.6.1, which I use on my Macs. I'm not sure how you use the numeric keyboard on a bluetooth keyboard (I have a full sized keyboard so it is not a problem for me), but s you can read from my thread, I did have some mapping problems. On my Air I use this hatari.keymap file

#--- Hatari keymap file
# [ and ] keys

# Backslash / Pipe

# Tilde / Hash

# Cursor keys - MacBook Air

# Left shift

# Underscore / Minus

# Left-Alt = Help key (fold / unfold in GFA editor)

I'm not sure about using left-alt for the Help key, it makes it hard to type a '#' character (which is alt-3 on the Air). Maybe I'll change that mapping to right-alt)
Too many retro computers here: 1040STfm, Mega4, Ultrasatanx2 , Amiga A500, A500+ and A1200, Acorn Atom x2, BBC Micro, Electron, Spectrum 48k x2, +48, +128k, QL, Oric Atmos, ZX81, Memotech MTX512, Amstrad 6128 x2..

paule
Atarian
Atarian

Postby paule » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:37 am

Thank you, JonB. The crucial key is clr-home, which is used in my favorite (ATARI) program for shortcuts and macros.
I found the solution: There is a small nice program out there which allows to create your own mapping on the MAC-keyboard: KeyRemap4MacBook
http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/index.html
So I could bring my clr-home-key (on ATARI) which is home-key (on Windows) to cmd-r (on Mac bluethouth-keyboard). Perfect solution!

Some days later: I found another way: inbuilt key-combination. To get the clr-home-function, press <fn> + <left shift> + <left arrow>. Voila!

Paule

paule
Atarian
Atarian

Postby paule » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:01 pm

I use HATARI-v1.3.1 on my MacMini with OSX 10.7.2 and a Bluetouth Keyboard. I have the TOS 2.06 (German version). The following description refers to this combination, but may also be useful for different ones.

The keypad mapping follows mostly the signs. Y and Z are correct. Some keys at the right edge are wrong: ß, ü, +, # . The key </> (smaller/ greater) at left lower corner its not used in HATARI, but I found a way.

The file "keymap_thuth.txt" from Thomas Schaerer I didn´t need. Anyway, it was the base for my file. I have to mention that Thomas was very helpful with every question! I set up a new file (i.e. MacHatTast.txt) with just the following lines (only a little bit different from JonB):
#45 is the ASCII-Code for - (minus), 12 is the code for ß-key on ATARI-keypad
45,12 # SDLK_MINUS = 45, ß and ?
91,26 # SDLK_LEFTBRACKET = 91, ü
92,41 # SDLK_BACKSLASH = 92, # and ^
93,27 # SDLK_RIGHTBRACKET = 93, + and *
96,96 # SDLK_BACKQUOTE = 96, < and >

This file must be selected through HATARI menu under "preferences...(keyboard)" by "choose" and than saved. That is (as I found) necessary for any alteration to this file. Than "ok" and "cold reset" through menu/emulator. That´s it.

The left upper key ( ^ and ° ) I left as it is. The caret-sign is the upper case of # like on ATARI, the degree-sign I couldn´t localize on the ATARI-keypad.

After I had lost several times all my settings without knowing why, I found at a time, that the hidden file .hatari/hatari.cfg, where all the preferences are stored, not allways was saved accordimng to the alterations. If the keyboard doesn´t work the intended way it´s a good idea to check this file.

JonB
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JonB » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:22 pm

paule wrote:Thank you, JonB.

You're most welcome!

:)
Too many retro computers here: 1040STfm, Mega4, Ultrasatanx2 , Amiga A500, A500+ and A1200, Acorn Atom x2, BBC Micro, Electron, Spectrum 48k x2, +48, +128k, QL, Oric Atmos, ZX81, Memotech MTX512, Amstrad 6128 x2..

maaarcooose
Atariator
Atariator

Postby maaarcooose » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:37 pm

So time to resurrect an old thread, but I'm using Hatari v2 on my Mac and the keyboard mapping for the arrow keys seems wrong. I've tried the suggested key mapping above but that still doesn't seem to work.

Anyone got a keymap file for hatari on the mac that works?

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:01 pm

I am using Hatari 2.2.1. I have a simple keymap file that I have attached. It only remaps the Help and Undo keys to F11 and F12 respectively. The other keys use the symbolic keyboard mapping. I have a few keys that don't work (-, _, {, [, }, ]), but the arrow keys work correctly. I haven't spent the time to get those keys working correctly. The symbolic keymapping option works better, but I can't get Symbolic keymapping to work with remapping the Help and Undo keys which I use occasionally.

Bob C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

maaarcooose
Atariator
Atariator

Postby maaarcooose » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:29 pm

Thanks for that.
Looks like I was being stupid but also Hatari seemed to have every single joystick mapped to the same cursor keys.
All working now.

!m!

maaarcooose
Atariator
Atariator

Postby maaarcooose » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:38 pm

And now I see the issue with the minus key not working along with the others.
Fairly essential for programming.

Is there a way to find out what key codes they are on the Mac keyboard that Hatari is getting?
I would try the joystick mapping approach but the Mac version of Hatari seems a lot more functional that the windows one and just has a pull down of the keys.

darwinmac
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darwinmac » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:32 pm

If you use scan code keyboard mapping, it appears that the only missing keys are Atari-specific like Help and Undo. I think those keys are remapped to function keys that aren’t on a standard Mac keyboard (F13, F14).

The other keys should all work.

Bob C

maaarcooose
Atariator
Atariator

Postby maaarcooose » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:26 pm

That got it.

Thanks Bob.

!m!

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”