Realtime video encoding from Steem output...

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code. The current version is v3.9.4.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Realtime video encoding from Steem output...

Postby RetroGamerUK » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:22 pm

How difficult would it be now that we all have super powerful PCs / Macs to include an audio/video encoder within Steem to allow the producing of .avi / .mpg etc videos of the Emulated "whatever" in realtime when using Steem to play games / demos etc??
I am sure there are seperate video/audio encoders for windows that can grab the audio/video but I was just offering a suggestion for future versions of Steem....

UPDATE:
I have found one example of what I am suggesting: FRAPS
http://www.fraps.com/
This is a "free trial" software, most useful, would such a facility within STEEM be useful?

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:51 pm

I thought Saint already did this?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:23 am

I could name another emulator (nearly ST) that also does this, but I use STEEM for my ST games! :D

Kreese
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Kreese » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:14 pm

This would be lovely! I'd really love to convert some demos into .avi's ...

Kreese
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Realtime video encoding from Steem output...

Postby Kreese » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:20 pm

I've seen that many demos from Atari ST and Falcon has been popping up on Youtube lately. Does anyone know how to best dump STE demos to avi format? Do I need to hook my Atari up with the PC/MAC and use a Videocard or something?

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:27 pm

Microsoft offers some free programs to grab screen output on a Windows PC. It's called "Windows Media Encoder" and the outputted files can be uploaded to YouTube if that's your intention.

ppera

Postby ppera » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:49 pm

bullis1 wrote:Microsoft offers some free programs to grab screen output on a Windows PC. It's called "Windows Media Encoder" and the outputted files can be uploaded to YouTube if that's your intention.

I doubt that WME can grab screen output. It actually can capture video from some capture card + process (encode, transcode) it to some more compressed format.

But we have some (even free) programs for screen capture. Bad thing is that they are not perfect ,at leaast by me - I have some drops in captured files (with very fast PC).

What works perfect is capturing of video output + sound from some real Atari machine with TV card. Not with WME. Virtual Dub rulez !
And Saint 2.0 does video recording very well too.

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:10 pm

ppera wrote:
bullis1 wrote:Microsoft offers some free programs to grab screen output on a Windows PC. It's called "Windows Media Encoder" and the outputted files can be uploaded to YouTube if that's your intention.

I doubt that WME can grab screen output. It actually can capture video from some capture card + process (encode, transcode) it to some more compressed format.

But we have some (even free) programs for screen capture. Bad thing is that they are not perfect ,at leaast by me - I have some drops in captured files (with very fast PC).

Trust me, it does. We use it a work all the time. You can capture a whole screen, or focus it just on a window. Also, it is free like many other capture programs. It seems to hog less CPU/RAM than Fraps as well (at least that's what my coworker told me). Of course, you need to be using a fairly recent version of Windows (year 2000 or higher).

EDIT: Also, I forgot to mention that I'm using Windows Media Encoder 9 Series. It may be in older ones as well, but I can't guarantee it.

Kreese
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Kreese » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:38 pm

Thanks bullis1! It worked fine, really really fine!

The trick was to get Windows Media Encoder to capture from a certain part of the screen. I placed the Steem window top-left and set WME to capture: 6 pixels from the left, and 52 pixels down. Size 320 * 200. After a few tests I started capture the stuff in 50 fps - 20Mbps video - 192Kbps sound. The result was really good. But when uploading it to Youtube, I got complaint from Youtube that it couldn't reencode the files. 2 of the files went trough, 6 didn't...

Then I tried lower the settings to: 50 fps - 10Mbps video - 128Kbps sound, but it didn't help, Youtube still complained about the rest of the clips.

Then I found a setting, "Custom Encoding Settings" and changed from default:
"Windows Media 9 Screen" to "Windows Media 9" then Youtube accepted the files!

I "ripped" all our productions (Zeal) and even uploaded them on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RobbyRubbish

Have a look! Youtube destroyed alot of the good quality though... :(

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:48 pm

I'm very glad to see it worked out! I'll have to watch some of those. Maybe you can get the youtube links added on the pouet entires for your prods?

ppera

Postby ppera » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:22 pm

I DL-ed latest WME and tried screen recording. It works somehow, but I'm not satisfied with quality (choppiness again), and settings are very confusing and limited.

Looked some freeware solutions, and found something really fine: Directshow screen recording. With it capturing of screen, part of it or just specific window is possible, and best - it has no freamedrops with not too big resoutions. Works with capturing programs where may set much more codec and options than in WME.

I noticed that sound from Steem is not always good - for instance Nebulus has very distorsed sound by launching game. Tried diferent settings, but no much improvement. With Hatari sound is significantly better. But it looks that in most cases sound is acceptable from Steem.

ppera

Postby ppera » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:15 am

Hmmm... here someone asked about directshow recording before few days, but post is gone... ?
Anyway, just for record: directshow capturing driver is named 'VH Screen Capture Driver' .
Works fine in Virtual Dub for instance.
http://www.hmelyoff.com/index.php?section=8

Omikronman
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Omikronman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:35 pm

Mac-User can run Windows in a virtual environment and then record whatever they like with "Snapz Pro"!

Trooper
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Trooper » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:19 pm

I cant get WME to record any audio, video is fine but no audio. What happens is I run the screen capture settings and tells WME to use default audio device. When I click finish I get an error message saying "no specified device driver is present (0xC00D0072). Any tips on what I should do?

rs_shadow0000
Atarian
Atarian

Postby rs_shadow0000 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:17 am

The ambush was to get Windows Media Encoder to abduction from a assertive allotment of the screen. I placed the Steem window top-left and set WME to capture: 6 pixels from the left, and 52 pixels down. Size 320 * 200. After a few tests I started abduction the being in 50 fps - 20Mbps video - 192Kbps sound. The aftereffect was absolutely good. But if uploading it to Youtube,

Social Media

Return to “Steem”