Steem v3.2 screenshot

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code. The current version is v3.9.4.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

rockyone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Steem v3.2 screenshot

Postby rockyone » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:05 am

Steem v3.2;
high resolution screenshot
I did not understand why color pixels RGB equal to $FFF are encoded in 24 bits by $F8FCF8 instead of $FFFFFF

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Re: Steem v3.2 screenshot

Postby charles » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:16 am

is this the very reason screenshots turn blue ?
atari is my lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! !,
Im printing unreadable characters ...!

rockyone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rockyone » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:04 am

Yes, Steem sees life in blue ..
When I open these images, I will correct the values.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:55 am

rockyone wrote:Steem v3.2;
high resolution screenshot
I did not understand why color pixels RGB equal to $FFF are encoded in 24 bits by $F8FCF8 instead of $FFFFFF

I saved many monochrome - so ST hi-res screenshots (640x400px) with Steem 3.2 and all are pure B/W. No any turn to blue or other color.
Save goes in 24bit BMP, files are therefore pretty long, and is visible that there are only 0-s and $FFFFFF-s . Indeed worth to convert into 2 color mode.
What way you use for saving Steem screenshot ?
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:56 am

might be if you don't use direct draw ,,maybe a steem bug? in the configuration
HOLD ON ! ! !,

rockyone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rockyone » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:04 am

I redid a high-resolution screenshot in full screen with Steem's capture button.
I even checked the values in $ ff8240 and $ ff8242 :) !!
A steem.zip

strange ... but not boring for conversion to another format. four bits are correct
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rockyone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rockyone » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:23 am

charles wrote:is this the very reason screenshots turn blue ?

Seriously, I think you configured steem in 256 colors .....

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:36 am

First to say: I'm here to help, and because never heard, seen described bad color problem.
It would be helpful if Rockyone would give more details:
There are 2 BMP files in supplied zip file, and one is with white, other with little less white white :D And no word how each is made exactly.
Then in what OS - Win v. for instance , was it ?

"strange ... but not boring for conversion to another format. four bits are correct"
What four bits ? Monochrome is 1 byte = 8 pixels, or 1 bit = 1 pixel. Saved true color BMP is 24 bits for 1 pixel, so waste. You can save it without compression in 32KB file. Instead 760KB . And it will be almost same as Degas PI3, except header.

Finally, screenshots should not depend at all from how Steem is set, in what mode runs, what is Windows screen mode (color depth). It should save emulated Ataris screen buffer - and set colors according to $FF8240 .... - in mono mode that can be direct, or inverted only. Only B/W .
24 bmp is used because Steem can save high-color, Spectrum 512 too. So, on screen can be over 1000 colors at once. Since there is no 16bpp BMP format, it needs to be 24bpp. Although, in case of mono, it is really waste of space, especially as there is no way to have more color nuances on screen in mono mode.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

rockyone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rockyone » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:07 am

Two BMP picture ???
I had to download the file to understand that I had to send by mistake an additional image that has nothing to do here .....

Let's take this opportunity to make a guessing guess.
  What image could be the screenshot made with Steem without looking into the image data, is it STEEM.BMP or MI-9.BMP :?: :coffe: :coffe: :coffe: :coffe: :coffe: :coffe: ... :( :cry: :roll: :evil: :twisted: ...

:idea:
So, back to my first question ... it can help.: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32717&p=333490#p333490

I guessed, the least white picture is the screenshot made with Steem. :angel:

Who names him STEEM.BMP? Yes man. :cheers:

rockyone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rockyone » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:24 am

The internet connection is not very good today.. :twisted:

Otherwise, I use Steem with Windows 7

For converssion, knowing that the format of this image is 640 * 400 in high resolution with only two colors, one black and the other much whiter, I will not count the number of bits to one.

But all this does not bring a logical answer to my question ?

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:40 pm

OMG. You ask here for help, and then act like you know everything better.
To answer on your question, file MI-9.BMP is such, what kind I'm getting when saving monochrome 640x400 with Steem. Just because I have same white dots, in color $FFFFFF - in all 30 screenshots which I looked quickly. And I using Win 7 too.
So, I tried in windowed and in fullscreen, and Steem saves bad white value from full screen mode. So, solution would be to save screen from windowed, or to patch Steem 3.2 . I guess you did same, and those 2 files indicate it :mrgreen:
I'm little surprised with this idea of Russel brothers.
Patch of exec attempt worked not - could not find those values with hex editor. So, need to spend some time with sources of Steem - me not today. But you can do it even better than me, I guess :wink:

P.S. I like people making mistake and then yelling on others :mrgreen:

rockyone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rockyone » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:27 pm

Sorry, I did not want to shock by my words ..

The second image is a conversion made with an assembler routine

ha yes, the catches in windowed mode are correct (I did not look)

Please do not rely on me to debug the Steem code, I will only make it unusable. :mrgreen:

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:57 pm

gfa_026.zip
ahh! many thanks , had trouble using full screen , but after a length of tries left the 256 color mode on ,,,,much better now

thanks rocky
have a good day
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HOLD ON ! ! !,

Social Media

Return to “Steem”