STEEM new user

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code. The current version is v3.9.4.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

Bikerbob
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

STEEM new user

Postby Bikerbob » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:47 am

Hi,

Trying to use STEEM to test things, then maybe I can use them on my real hardware..

SO I am learning bit by bit.. on an older STEEM I had GEMDOS HD and no available ASCI.. on 3.9.0 I am running now.. I have the ability to use images, .img harddrives.. asci, AND assign an ID to them.. but can I also use GEMDOS HD as well? C,D on an image .. and a GEMDOS E.. a GEMDOS F??

I have tried and not getting anywhere.. just wondering.. because would be easier to transfer from the pc using the GEMDOS DIR.. to the IMG RAW HD.

James

Bikerbob

Re: STEEM new user

Postby Bikerbob » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:55 am

Also if I could make a point as a new user. The std way to enter and exit the emu is to hit the break/pause button. Could this be changed? or could an option be put in so I could assign any key to do it?

I ask because MANY laptops especially, do not have a break/pause.. and I happen to be on of the lucky people who have a laptop that does not even have a combination of key presses that allows you to send a break or pause.. so I have no alternative than to hit ALT\ESC which switches windows and gets me out of the emu.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:29 am

Hi,
If you use the "SSE" version, you can use F12 to start/stop anytime, or assign some keys/mouse buttons.
Please read the manual for how to do that, even though it's intuitive enough.
For ACSI + GEMDOS, yes it's possible, but ACSI must have the lower letters, which are set in the img file directly. The number is for the device ID, 0 is fine.

Bikerbob

Postby Bikerbob » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:01 pm

OH, I am not looking to STOP the emu, just exit it, so I can find files, move items to directories that the emu need etc.. that would be the break/pause function no? I did read, but I guess I am not reading well enough. I will try again. I read in places where it says that keys can be assigned if you dont like it, but not how or where to do that.. I found the capture the mouse radio button, but that does not seem to be what I am looking for.

This is from General Info - I cannot copy and paste for some reason. " it is also possible to enable GEMDOS virtual hard disks at the same time as ACSI virtual hard disks, you need to adapt letters of course. ACSI drives will take the first letters."

I read that to mean that the ACSI will be C: D: and I need to setup the GEMDOS as E: F: .. which is the way I did it and it did not work. Your reply to me would seem to suggest the opposite. That I have to go into the IMAGE and change the drive letters from C: D: to E: F: then set the GemDOS to C: and it should work???

James

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:27 pm

Bikerbob wrote:I cannot copy and paste for some reason.

You can since v3.9.2 (normally).

" it is also possible to enable GEMDOS virtual hard disks at the same time as ACSI virtual hard disks, you need to adapt letters of course. ACSI drives will take the first letters."

I read that to mean that the ACSI will be C: D: and I need to setup the GEMDOS as E: F: .. which is the way I did it and it did not work. Your reply to me would seem to suggest the opposite. That I have to go into the IMAGE and change the drive letters from C: D: to E: F: then set the GemDOS to C: and it should work???

James

No, it should work how you did it. Drives are already assigned in your ACSI image which you should load as device 0.
Steem should boot on your ACSI device (hopefully there is a competent driver...), there you need to "install" the other partitions.
Normally, support for Steem SSE is here:
viewforum.php?f=112
Where there are rules that allow us to solve issues more thoroughly.

Bikerbob

Postby Bikerbob » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:23 pm

Ok, so now I am trying to run STEEM on an older system that I will use as a server for my ST and 8-bit. Also it has a floppy drive so I thought it would be a good one to use to transfer Floppys to images or the other way around.

I can get 3.2 to run.. But so far every SSE version i try 32bit D3D or DD does not run.. I get this message.
steem.JPG

Its a built in graphics VIA S3 computer windows xp.. wonder if this is a graphics issue? but I have tried to re-install DX9c.. says its in there.. the version this is from is your 3.9.3 DD

Thank

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:27 pm

Hi, the message isn't very clear, but look here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Error-This-application-has-failed-to-start-because-the-application-configuration-is-incorrect.html

Causes:
This error can occur if there is a problem with your installation of the Microsoft® Visual C++ Redistributable.

Solution:
To resolve the error, you should uninstall and reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable. Refer to the following article for more details:

Steem SSE is compiled with Visual C++ 2008. Notice that it runs on an XP system I still have.
Could you maybe update your system with the "Redistributable"?

Bikerbob

Postby Bikerbob » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:04 pm

AHHH thankyou, just a suggestion this might be something to add to the SYSTEM requirements page. I had asked around. On a mature system.. one that you have been using for a while I am sure most people have that on it. This was a fresh XP install.

I will get it installed. thanks for the help SS

James

Hazzardus
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Hazzardus » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:12 pm

Bikerbob wrote:
Its a built in graphics VIA S3 computer windows xp.. wonder if this is a graphics issue? but I have tried to re-install DX9c.. says its in there.. the version this is from is your 3.9.3 DD

Wow, that's a blast from the past :lol:

Bikerbob

Postby Bikerbob » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:28 pm

Hazzardus wrote:
Bikerbob wrote:

Wow, that's a blast from the past :lol:

Yeah, bought it a couple of days ago because it still has a FDD controller in it $20 with a 200gb HD .. so I will use it as a file server for both the 8-bit and the ST.. should do a good job.

James

Bikerbob

Postby Bikerbob » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:29 am

Well, I installed the C++ runtime and no go. I still cannot get DD or D3D to load..

I will go back to earlier versions of SS edition and see where it breaks for me.

James

edit - Well I now know it is the age of the machine. This is a SSE and SSE2 processor, but I cannot go past 3.7 (special version) I think im back to the video card (or Via S3 built in graphics)

Well at least I know what I am working with.

Bikerbob

Postby Bikerbob » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:11 am

So attached are screen shots.

I am in 3.9.0 on my laptop.

I have a HDD with MagiC on it. It has 3 partitions on it. It is setup as ASCI 0 as you can see in the picture.. and the directories are C,D,E

I then want to setup a GEMDOS directory HDD - you see I have set that up.. and started the drive number at F:

You will see I can get the icon on the desktop.. it knows something is there.. but it cant see it as you see.

This is MagiC 6.2 - I put the english patch in.. but looks like it does not patch everything. Anyone know was there a fully english version? or is this as english as it gets??

James
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:18 am

In Steem GEMDOS type hard disk emulation (so assigning some Windows DIR as partition) works only with regular TOS versions. Not with Magic. It even works not when TOS is in RAM - for instance set via SELTOS or RAMTOS . What is there is only drive bit set in system variables - that's why can put drive icon on Desktop.
I did some plus English translation, and files are published here. You should search forum for. I really can not keep all this retro things, details in head.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Bikerbob

Postby Bikerbob » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:03 pm

OK, so the point was to be able to transfer items from the pc to the ST image. SO.. if I startup the STEEM with both shift keys down.. which in the MAgiC manual says is supposed to bypass magiC loading.. then I could get TOS to see the drive.. transfer the files.. reboot into magiC but the Gemdos drive will be gone.. OK.. that can work too :)

James

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:23 pm

That could work. Another way is to not reset emulator after setting hard disk image file. You need then to run runnable hard disk driver at Desktop - from floppy image or from GEMDOS partition.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:45 pm

I think that the fact that it was under an alternative OS Magic was important enough to be disclosed at once!
Of course one assumes it's under TOS.

Social Media

Return to “Steem”