Capture card advice for Steem...

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code. The current version is v3.9.4.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

Neild323
Atari User
Atari User

Capture card advice for Steem...

Postby Neild323 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:24 am

Hello,
Just thought I'd ask, in case theres anything I'm unaware of, whether a game capture device would work well in order to capture steem?
Because I've spent so much time trying to find a solution to capture at a high frame rate in 640 x 480 (using software like camstudio, virtualdub etc), I'm going to buy a VGA game capture device.

Before I buy one, if anyone knows of a reason it might not work with steem please let me know. Due to various software/hardware conflicts I can't get a good enough capture with fraps, OBS, virtualdub, but I'm hoping that if I buy a good 60fps capture device, what ever output from VGA & my audio out will turn out accurate enough.

I intend to create animations in steem & later edit them in final edit for some music videos. I made one a while back but I could only capture at around 24fps, & it turned out pretty jerky. Any thoughts on this would be really helpful.

Cheers!

LynXX
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Capture card advice for Steem...

Postby LynXX » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:56 pm

Hatari is another emulator that has built-in video capture capability (I never tried it though).

Neild323
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Neild323 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:30 pm

Thanks, I tried Hatari on my mac but found too many conflicts & errors. Steem runs pretty much everything I want to run, especially demos. After so much energy & research trying to screen capture with the hardware I have available, I feel I need to either get a capture device or give up all together. I just can't afford any more time trying to get screen capture working so feel its better to just buy a game capture device, probably one with HDMI in so long as I can get a reliable VGA to HDMI converter.
I'm just hoping that if I get one, the resolution would be sized ok, as I've heard of capture devices which eg, take a composite signal but only work with certain consoles (works with snes, but not N64). I got close to capturing with virtualdub, but the recordings we'rent compatible with final edit (even tho it supports AVI) & the files we're turning out around 1GB for 20 seconds. I figured I'm better to buy one, then spend as much time as I have already trying to configure software in line with my OS & hardware. If I added up the hours I've spent, it'd be well over a week, where as if I'd spent £30, thats less than a days pay, it's really got to this point now.
I'm on the verge of a breakthrough with the music I've made & sprites ready to put into action, I just need this part working to start piecing it together. I'm sure a lot of people could relate, it's just becoming an ongoing task, when I could be using the time to create the visuals.

I've found a few which seem promising, this one records in 480p (640x480) at 60fps, so hopefully it will be everything I need, hoping there isn't anything I'm unaware of in the way Steem displays its images, which could result in a poor or inaccurate capture. Eg, the Elgato DH60 looks like it could work well...
(I wouldn't buy from maplin, https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/elgato-game- ... used-b35qq

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:35 am

If you're talking about Steem SSE (not clear), there are DirectDraw and Direct3D builds which I suppose could behave differently, although both can vsync at the monitor refresh rate (which unfortunately is rarely correct for emulation).
When I personally tried Fraps software with a D3D build it just worked but for some people it just doesn't.
Quite frustrating. :shrug:

d0us
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby d0us » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:16 am

I would suggest OBS studio

Neild323
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Neild323 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:09 pm

Thanks. I'm fairly new to the understanding of how video cards work regards to compressors, directdraw etc, so recently learnt a lot whilst configuring virtualdub. I spent a whole day, 10:30am to 5pm, trying various settings on virtualdub but didn't have any stable results. I asked about on a forum called 'videohelp.com' & got some in depth help there. For the meantime I've managed to find a good configuration using camstudio. I've tried x3 different machines so, the one I tried here worked great, although I tried installing OBS on win10 & ran into too many conflicts surrounding x86, quety files, getting it online in order to attempt installing it, but could never run it & spent too long trying. I tried it on my vista machine & quit for the meantime as there was another issue with installation & didn't want to repeat another potential wild goose chase. But camstudio settings are good enough at 640x480, at around 40fps with little frame drops. Enough to create some starfields for background animations for now.

My mate Dav who works on a lot of high profile events (VOID in Glasgow recently was a great success!) has a lot of knowledge on AV equipment & suggested the black magic intensity. I'll be getting that to copy betamax as it has composite & hdmi in, & then I could also capture visuals with it. I'm more keen on scraping the emulator now as I'm getting geared up towards hooking my ataris with my music setup, so in the end, I might just take the RF out from the Atari instead. I'm sure that would create better results, even if the image isn't as sharp as u get from an emulator.

Yeah its hard to know whether to purchase fraps & take that gamble yet. I tried a few captures but as u only get 30 seconds with the freebee, I can't be sure if a longer recording would have further artifacts after a few minutes. Best thing I can do is learn some coding, so I've got STos Game creator, GFA basic & First Basic to get stuck into. Will be far better than emulating the effect of an atari in the long run, & I'd love to make my first demo at some point :-)

Social Media

Return to “Steem”