Steem 3.9.1 + PP HDD-Driver

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code. The current version is v3.9.4.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

IngoQ
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Steem 3.9.1 + PP HDD-Driver

Postby IngoQ » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:42 am

Hiya,

I am trying to set up a emulated replica of my physical 1040 STE which is using a UltraSatan and PPs HDD-Driver.

I went to set up an HDD-Image in Steem, but as soon as I tried to use PPs partitioning tool (V 1.3) on it, it failed. The tool recognized the device (it showed a device name) but was neither able to read the partition table nor to write one. When trying an already partitioned image, the driver installation (V1.01) failed. I tried both internal ACSI emulation and PASTI.

Now, the funny thing is: When I tried the same in Hatari it worked flawlessly. I was able to partition the image, install the driver and boot of it. Since I don't want to use Hatari under Windows, I afterwards tried mounting this image again in Steem. As soon as it started the driver, it crashed with four bombs.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a known issue? Ideas, solutions, general mockery? ;)
Ingo :coffe:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Steem 3.9.1 + PP HDD-Driver

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:18 am

UltraSatan driver uses ICD ACSI command extensions, and that's not emulated in Steem, not in Pasti too. Latest Hatari versions emulate it.
For Steem you need basic ACSI driver. And you will be able to use it with images of your SD cards, where UltraSatan driver is installed - just will need to install basic ACSI driver - with emulator, not on real Atari. I don't know what is size limit in Steem 3.9.1 . With Pasti it is 1 GB.
So, pls. drop me an e-mail, and I will send you ACSI driver and partitioner.
There is way to stop global warming.

IngoQ
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby IngoQ » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:22 pm

AtariZoll wrote:UltraSatan driver uses ICD ACSI command extensions, and that's not emulated in Steem, not in Pasti too. Latest Hatari versions emulate it.
For Steem you need basic ACSI driver. And you will be able to use it with images of your SD cards, where UltraSatan driver is installed - just will need to install basic ACSI driver - with emulator, not on real Atari. I don't know what is size limit in Steem 3.9.1 . With Pasti it is 1 GB

Ah, thanks, that explains a lot.

Meanwhile I received the driver and had a chance to test it. It now successfully reads the partition table, but when writing to it, something seems not to be working. Here is what I did:
  • I downloaded the ready made image from here: http://atari.8bitchip.info/DiskImgPP1.html
  • I mounted it via the Steem integrated HDD emulation
  • it booted fine using the already installed driver version 0.9
  • I ran the partitioning tool that you sent me on the image, and created two partitions: one 511MB and one 430MB
  • Partition table seems to be updated, when I reread the drive it shows my new table
  • I install the new simple ACSI driver (1.02), drive is detected and the driver is successfully written
  • I do a cold reboot, the driver gets started, shows the partitions and ... hangs :(
  • I started over with the same image, but this time I only installed the new driver and let the partition table untouched
  • After a cold reset, the system boots fine.
  • I tried removing all partitions but the first one, system boots fine
  • I tried changing first partition to a smaller size (200MB), system boots fine
  • I tried changing first partition to a slightly larger size (260MB), system boots fine
  • ...changed it to 280MB, system hangs after reboot and driver startup

To rule out the image, I created a new and empty one with DrImg135. Same here: 200MB boots, 280MB does not.

Any ideas? :shrug:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:43 am

Only idea what comes to mind is that it is fault of Steem SSE. I never had such problems with Steem 3.2 + Pasti. And I guess that in Steem SSE+Pasti combination it would work OK too. So, pls. try with Pasti using it's hard disk options.

IngoQ
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby IngoQ » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:06 pm

AtariZoll wrote:Only idea what comes to mind is that it is fault of Steem SSE. I never had such problems with Steem 3.2 + Pasti. And I guess that in Steem SSE+Pasti combination it would work OK too. So, pls. try with Pasti using it's hard disk options.

I tried with Pasti, same result. In addition I mounted the identical image in Hatari, and even here it does not boot.

Here is the image I used: It's the one from the URL above, with all partitions deleted and a new 280MB partition created.

https://hub.e-quade.de/nextcloud/index.php/s/q6ZGUg3EjpxJtLt

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:02 pm

I looked image, and found some strange large cluster size, what TOS can not handle. There is one corrupted byte in partitioner what I sent you. So, I sent you in e-mail correct file. With that 280 MB is OK. Actually, error would happen with any partition in range 256-512 MB.

IngoQ
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby IngoQ » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:21 pm

And I can confirm: HDD partitioning and the driver works perfectly under Steem now :)

Thank you for your great support!

Social Media

Return to “Steem”