No keyboard input in discmenu's

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code. The current version is v3.9.4.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

fusionsynth
Atariator
Atariator

No keyboard input in discmenu's

Postby fusionsynth » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:12 pm

The same problem still is there as mentioned in another topic, which got closed: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29609&p=292151&hilit=fusionsynth#p292151

I try to start a game from the Adrenalin menu 20 ( Sensible soccer). In the menu i have to choose 1-4, but there is no reaction from the emulator what so ever. It does not react to any keyboard input. Trying the C1 option in the SSE settings does not help. Then the menu does not even start. With C2 enabled the menu starts, but no keyboard input.

Settings are: STF, 16mhz, 1mb, tos1.04.

Lowering or increasing the emulationspeed does not help.
What could be wrong? I can not play any of the menu's i have, tried several others
Last edited by fusionsynth on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fusionsynth
Atariator
Atariator

Re: No keyboard input in discmenu's

Postby fusionsynth » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:07 pm

I looked into this further. I tried older versions of Steem. I found the same problem in the pre SSE version 3.2. I discovered that this problem is solved when deselecting the input device in the MIDI-ports setting. Set this to "None" and all works fine. For the most users, this problem will not show up, but for users using a MIDI port, this can be a problem. See pictures:

notworking1.jpg

notworking2.jpg

working1.jpg

working2.jpg

This is not a solution, but a workaround. Maybe Steven Seagall can have a look into this? :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Re: No keyboard input in discmenu's

Postby Steven Seagal » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi
Depending on the MIDI device, it can drown the MIDI connection with standby messages. It can trigger ACIA interrupts and somehow interfere with the keyboard, because the keyboard uses another ACIA, and there's only one interrupt. Or any other case when the program doesn't expect MIDI messages.
I noticed that with my lowly evolution keyboard and some program (forgot which one).
In that case it's correct emulation and not really a workaround. :)

I also notice everybody misspells Seagal. :(

Social Media

Return to “Steem”