Serial port

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Serial port

Postby darklight » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:12 pm

Hey guys,

I want a program on my PC to be able to talk to a STOS program running in Steem. It is entirely possible my problem is with STOS, not Steem, so I've also cross-posted to that forum here.

I've configured my Steem serial port to be a file on my PC. I can write to this file in STOS by printing text to the AUX port. But I cant seem to read from this file. I'm not even sure if or how that should work. My program just waits & never receives any data from the port. Even if I write to the file using a text editor on my PC, then save and close the file, nothing happens in my STOS program.

So I guess my questions are - has anyone ever got 2-way communication happening over the serial port in Steem, using a file? Or perhaps directly between Steem's serial port & your PC's serial port?

And can anyone suggest a better way of sending & receiving data to a program running in Steem?

Oh any by the way - Mr Segal if you are reading this - the ports settings window in v 3.9 is a little messed up - if you select anything except 'none' for the Parallel / Serial / Special Adapter ports, the container panel isn't big enough to show the child controls that appear. v3.7 seems fine, but has less UI elements.
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Serial port

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:06 am

Hi
It's Mr Seagal to you!

Normally bug reports for Steem SSE are expected here:
viewforum.php?f=112
but the ugly bug is obvious enough, argh! It's when I added the 'special adapters' option, thx for the report.

I'm afraid the file for ports is output only.
From the manual:

-File

Using this option you can send all output from an ST port to a file. Click on
the "Change File" button to open the file selector where you can select the
output file (you can create a new one by typing in a new name and clicking
"Open"). The "Reset Current File" button will delete everything that is
currently in the file.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:06 am

It seems like you will need two files per port for this to work well - one for input, the other for output. How does Hatari handle port redirection?
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:34 am

Thanks Mr. Seagal, and sorry for getting your name wrong! :)

Ok, so I guess I can just resort to my backup plan, which was actually use shared files that both the emulated ST & my PC can access - i.e. files on the harddisk, or in the PRG folder of Steem. Not ideal, but it will probably work. And I'll probably use two files, as you suggest Dal - one for input & one for output.
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:10 am

It could work with a virtual serial port driver, not sure a freeware one is available.
An input file looks like much trouble to me:
- GUI: Where do we add it?, it's already a mess ;)
- Timing: When does transmission start and stop? Do we need even more GUI elements ('play','stop'...)?

Social Media

Return to “Steem”