Joysticks not workng in Windows 10

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code. The current version is v3.9.4.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

OldGuyGeek
Atarian
Atarian

Joysticks not workng in Windows 10

Postby OldGuyGeek » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:30 am

The joystick configuration is working fine. I can map the appropriate joystick controls and they all respond in the joystick configuration screen. However, when I run games, they only respond to certain buttons. For example in Arkanoid Revenge of DOH only the fire button responds, the left right does not move the paddle on the screen left or right. In Asteroids Deluxe, the ship can rotate and fire and move just fine. But it seems like it's the only game that is working correctly. It works whether I have it set to Direct Input or Windows Multimedia.

I haven't used the emulators for a few years but the last I remember, I got the joysticks working on a lot of games. It might have been on Windows 7.

I have both a usb and a wireless Xbox Controller for PC. Both of them have the same symptoms. I've also tried them on 3 different Windows 10 Pro systems

Does anyone have a preferred mapping that works for more games?

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Joysticks not workng in Windows 10

Postby Steven Seagal » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:31 am

Welcome to the forum.

Are you aware of the fact that Arkanoid is controlled by mouse, not joystick? :)

OldGuyGeek
Atarian
Atarian

Postby OldGuyGeek » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:47 pm

Well, yes it is controlled by a mouse, but I did get it to respond to the fire buttion. However, it was just an example. Other than Asteroids, I can't find any other programs that work with joysticks even though they were supposed to. For example, both Moon Patrol and Airball both have the ability to select the joystick or keyboard. If I choose Joystick, neither responds to input

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:24 pm

OldGuyGeek wrote:For example, both Moon Patrol and Airball both have the ability to select the joystick or keyboard. If I choose Joystick, neither responds to input

Moon Patrol by Atari features joystick or mouse control, not keyboard.
Joystick works here...

Social Media

Return to “Steem”