D-bug menus not working in Steem

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

fusionsynth
Atariator
Atariator

D-bug menus not working in Steem

Postby fusionsynth » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:32 am

In the latest versions of Steem several d-bug menus don't work properly. For example disk 95 starts fine, but then it doesn't respond to any keyboard input. It is not possible to choose from the list of games that appears. This happens in steem 3.7.0 and 3.8.0.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: D-bug menus not working in Steem

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:38 am

I would be very careful with that. Quote from their site: "known to wipe out whole Windows partitions without any sort of recovery!!! "
You take serious risk with all this. Not to mention their incomplete and buggy cracks. Use rather Vectronix, SuperGau releases.
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:51 am

It seems to work for me (95A, can start games), so maybe more details or check with another disk image?

fusionsynth
Atariator
Atariator

Postby fusionsynth » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:22 pm

AtariZoll wrote:I would be very careful with that. Quote from their site: "known to wipe out whole Windows partitions without any sort of recovery!!! "
You take serious risk with all this. Not to mention their incomplete and buggy cracks. Use rather Vectronix, SuperGau releases.

Well, thanks for your warning, i didn't know that.

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby galax » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:52 pm

fusionsynth wrote:In the latest versions of Steem several d-bug menus don't work properly. For example disk 95 starts fine, but then it doesn't respond to any keyboard input. It is not possible to choose from the list of games that appears. This happens in steem 3.7.0 and 3.8.0.

Did you try with different TOS versions, memory configurations, and machines (STF/STE)? STF TOS 1.02 1MB is usually a safe place to start.

fusionsynth
Atariator
Atariator

Postby fusionsynth » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:22 pm

Yes, still doesn't work.

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:06 pm

AtariZoll wrote:I would be very careful with that. Quote from their site: "known to wipe out whole Windows partitions without any sort of recovery!!! "

Wow, we all know mr AtariTroll's English skills are bad, but this bad? The website just warns about software by a certain mr Pera Putnik.

D-Bug menus were, are and will be perfectly safe to use.
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

fusionsynth
Atariator
Atariator

Postby fusionsynth » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:18 pm

Tried it again. I know discovered that when i hit the nr.1 key several times in a row, the game starts. When i make a real diskette of this image and use it on my real STE with 2.06 and 4 meg the diskette works fine without any problem.

fusionsynth
Atariator
Atariator

Postby fusionsynth » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:32 pm

Experimenting further: i put Steem in 16mhz mode and now it works. I will also try it with increasing the run speed on 8mhz.

edit: runspeed didn't work, putting it in 9mhz speed does work. It seems that with 8mhz some how the keyboard interrupt gets lost.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:14 am

ggn wrote:

Wow, we all know mr AtariTroll's English skills are bad, but this bad? The website just warns about software by a certain mr Pera Putnik.

D-Bug menus were, are and will be perfectly safe to use.

All,

The quotation cited by AtariZoll is in itself incomplete and deliberately taken out of context. There is also little hard evidence to prove the statement Dbug make about his menus is accurate as well.

This thread - indeed this forum - is not the place for petty point scoring and cheap swipes.

AtariZoll has been warned for his initial unprovoked statement and advised to take any issue he has with Dbug directly with them - NOT via Atari Forum.

For the record, I - like many others - have been using Dbug and AtariZoll's patches for years without major issues. Where I have encountered bugs / glitches, they have all been quickly fixed.

Can we get back to the topic, please?
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:40 am

Yes, Dal is right. I did it in purpose - that was of course not serious, same as that partially quoted page.

I think that problem is because some setting of Steem SSE by fusionsynth - check SSE settings, especially IKBD emulation settings.

Regardless from my opinion about D-Bug menu disks, cracks, I don\t think that cracks are best emulator test SW - because they are done in most cases by people with limited Atari ST knowledge, with dirty code and like. What is relevant is how regular SW works.
But there may be exceptions - like case with Superior's Blood Money crack - bug in it actually initiated discovery of 68000 CPU emulation errors, and was finished in fixing them: viewtopic.php?f=68&t=26820 . Too bad that some open-source assemblers still have same error (letting to ASM some opcodes for 68030 when 68000 is target) .
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

Cyrano Jones
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Cyrano Jones » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:17 am

"Regardless from my opinion about D-Bug menu disks, cracks, I don\t think that cracks are best emulator test SW - because they are done in most cases by people with limited Atari ST knowledge, with dirty code and like."

My god, you can't even apologize without being snide, can you?

ggn
Atari God
Atari God

Postby ggn » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:19 am

Cyrano Jones wrote:"Regardless from my opinion about D-Bug menu disks, cracks, I don\t think that cracks are best emulator test SW - because they are done in most cases by people with limited Atari ST knowledge, with dirty code and like."

My god, you can't even apologize without being snide, can you?

Nah, it's ok. I'll just save this thread's link and paste it for everyone that asks me "Why doesn't D-Bug visit Atari-Forum?". It'll save me quite some time!
is 73 Falcon patched atari games enough ? ^^

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:21 pm

You walk away for a couple of hours and come back to this...

AtariZoll / ppera / Pera Putnik - you continue to make inappropriate comments even after being given a warning. Rather than accept it and drop it (we have given up expecting you to apologise), you attempt to take the final word as some kind of personal victory. I was willing to give you a chance after many others protested about allowing you to post here again and you have once again crossed the line. I have imposed a 7 day ban on your account.

Apologies to the OP who just wants some support.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:21 pm

Dal wrote:Apologies to the OP who just wants some support.

Nah, OP is a troll too.

fusionsynth
Atariator
Atariator

Postby fusionsynth » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:34 am

Steven Seagal wrote:
Dal wrote:Apologies to the OP who just wants some support.

Nah, OP is a troll too.

You mean me? That can't be true. I just discovered something not working and a solution that works for me, that's not trolling at all. After all it could also have been some kind of bug, what is wrong with that?

Cyrano Jones
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Cyrano Jones » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:30 am

fusionsynth wrote:After all it could also have been some kind of bug, what is wrong with that?

It is an emulation bug.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:05 am

How would you know? I bet you didn't test.
I did and I can't reproduce, without details provided, instead I get this great screen:

bug95.png

reminiscent of the good old C64 days, red means "swap disks, even though you have 2 drives".
ETA: to be fair, a lot of otherwise good demos are like that too
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:16 am

fusionsynth wrote:You mean me? That can't be true. I just discovered something not working and a solution that works for me, that's not trolling at all. After all it could also have been some kind of bug, what is wrong with that?

That's no solution, it should work at 8mhz, C1 C2 options enabled. The problem is I can't reproduce, I ask for config details, what do I get?

Note: with option C1, Steem SSE does like my STE, tends to skip the intro text.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:40 am

@Steven Segal: I think you are being unnecessarily pedantic here. I read fusionsynth's 'solution' as a workaround he is willing to accept.

You are coming across as hostile here and I'm struggling to understand why. Perhaps you can PM me to put me in the picture.

You either want people to report issues running your product or you don't. If the latter, you need to stop creating threads inviting people to do so and then we're all clear.

Also, rather than simply asking people for their "configuration" and then flaming them when they don't supply exactly what you're expecting, you might consider defining what you really mean. For experienced STeem users, this may seem obvious, but newer or less savvy ones May misinterpret this request .

I can see you're frustrated because you feel you haven't been given the information you need to reproduce the reported problem. At no point during this conversation have you explicitly requested what you want this user to supply to you.

How about we create a "Read this before you post" sticky to lay down some expectations on your part for all bug reports?

I'm locking this thread for now while we fix this.

Social Media

Return to “Steem”