How to make a sort of autoexec?

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

qwe
Atari User
Atari User

How to make a sort of autoexec?

Postby qwe » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:32 pm

Hi, guys.
I need to run tos file automatically when emulator start.
If I want to run tos file on hard disc what I have to do?
On hard disc, I tried to put a file in dir auto but it didn't run automatically.
What I have to do?
Thank you.

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: How to make a sort of autoexec?

Postby exxos » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:37 pm

Steem automatically loads the TOS ROM that you select on install (or select later from the ROM menu select) so not sure why you are trying to go about it some other way ?
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby galax » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:16 am

I think by 'tos file', qwe meant an executable with a .TOS extension, not a TOS ROM?

Only .PRG executables will be run from the AUTO folder at boot, try renaming your .TOS to .PRG.

bj
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bj » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:33 pm

You can "auto load" a single tos application immediately after the os boots up and loads anything in the Auto folder.
Here's how. Select / high light the tos application icon. Go to "Options" at top of Desktop. Select "Install Application" In dialogue box that opens select "Auto" & "Tos" then click "Install". Finally from "Options" select
"Save Desktop" , Confirm. Reboot and the Tos App will auto load immediately after all programs in the Auto folder.

The Tos app will also accept an Argument upon booting up - as will my girlfriend :-)
regards
BJ

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby galax » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:44 pm

bj wrote:Select "Install Application" In dialogue box that opens select "Auto" & "Tos" then click "Install".

TOS 1.04 and above of course... ;)

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:14 pm

Set Hatari as handler for *.TOS and *.PRG programs in your Desktop configuration and then just double-click on a program. Your desktop will then ask Hatari to run the program when it starts.

Note that there are few minor restrictions on this:
- Hatari implements auto-running with a virtual .INF file given to TOS, so program needs to be compatible with emulated machine default resolution
- Virtual .INF file works only with Hatari GEMDOS emulation, so program needs to be runnable from HD, and with C: root being in the same directory as the program
- Program needs to work with the Atari machine, TOS version & monitor specified in your Hatari configuration

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby galax » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:15 am

This is in the 'Steem' section, but that's pretty cool- I didn't realise Hatari did that.

qwe
Atari User
Atari User

Postby qwe » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:34 pm

I'm trying to program in assembly.
I need autorun of my executable file as in this example, but I don't know how to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdzdEy-rwiY

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby galax » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:35 am

That's nothing to do with the AUTO folder, or with Steem. Eero explained how to start Hatari and run a given ST executable. You should be able to execute the file from within your editor too without going to the command line.
Last edited by galax on Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:50 pm

galax wrote:This is in the 'Steem' section

Oops, sorry about that. I normally read the posts through "unread posts", and didn't pay attention on which area this thread was. :-)

galax wrote:but that's pretty cool- I didn't realise Hatari did that.

There's also a shell script [1] with which one can provide arguments for the programs that accept them. It uses Hatari debugger's breakpoints & memory writing to add user given arguments to the program command line (stored in program's basepage) when TOS Pexec()s the autostarted program:
https://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/ ... rg-args.sh

With that one can, for example, add a desktop shortcut that uses emulated Atari YM player TTP to play any YM-tune user drags to the shortcut. Does STeem have anything similar?

[1] it's mostly a convenience for Linux users, I guess on Windows one would need Cygwin environment to be able to run shell scripts: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cygwin

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby galax » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:42 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:With that one can, for example, add a desktop shortcut that uses emulated Atari YM player TTP to play any YM-tune user drags to the shortcut. Does STeem have anything similar?

I don't think Steem can do that, nor run ST executables that are passed as parameters. It sounds cool, but I'm not sure if I'd ever really use it. I usually just execute files out of the virtual hard disk. Sometimes edit files externally and compile within the emulator. They can just be double clicked or could be made to auto-execute within the emulator of course.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:11 pm

galax wrote:I don't think Steem can do that, nor run ST executables that are passed as parameters. It sounds cool, but I'm not sure if I'd ever really use it. I usually just execute files out of the virtual hard disk. Sometimes edit files externally and compile within the emulator. They can just be double clicked or could be made to auto-execute within the emulator of course.

Steem (SSE) can run PRG or TOS files, and even be associated with them, but there are conditions. It's handy for little demos available in this form.
But I think OP really meant an ST environment.

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby galax » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:52 pm

Aah, good to know- thanks. I thought the OP meant an ST environment too until he posted that video link:

qwe wrote:I'm trying to program in assembly.
I need autorun of my executable file as in this example, but I don't know how to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdzdEy-rwiY

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:10 am

English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

Social Media

Return to “Steem”