Problems with Windows 10

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

MrMaddog
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Problems with Windows 10

Postby MrMaddog » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:36 am

So Steem 'was' working fine under Windows 10 before but when I accendently double clicked on a ST image in a zip file, I got a black screen. Since then anytime I try to use Steem it doesn't respond. I tried deleting & reinstalling a fresh copy and even tried the original version of Steem. Nothing! It's always when I get to the main window that it crashes. I don't know if it's Windows 10 or whatever but alot of my older games stopped working all the sudden. If this keeps up I'll go back to Windows 7... :evil:

So anyone else have this issue?

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Problems with Windows 10

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:20 am

I use Win 10 for 1 month, and there was and is lot of problems and really stupid errors and limitations. Did not have problems with Steem 3.2 except known bad work in fullscreen mode. Generally, WIn 10 is not considered as good and stable, many people saying that better to keep Win 7. I tried that too, but had almost same problems in it with older SW. However, solving access to multiple partitions on removable storage in Win 7 in nightmare. I tried really all possible tips and tools available online, but the result was that only way to prevent it to do restore to previous good state - and destroy all installs, updates done in meantime is to press F8 at start, and setting it in "disable driver signature enforcement" . Just not possible to solve it as permanent in every restart.

Maybe you should dig deeper, and look in registry for some remains of Steem install. Of course, it may be some other problem - maybe video driver corruption or like.
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:55 am

Steem working fine with Windows 10 pro here.
Normally a fresh install should solve it, as often the problem is "auto.sts" or sometimes "steem.ini".
But here, it seems the incident corrupted Windows or DirectX itself!

darklight
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby darklight » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:39 am

Hmm, I had a similar experience with Steem recently - I'm on Windows 10 (not sure if that is important though) and Steem crashed at a particular point during a game. Each time I restarted Steem it played the exact same thing & crashed immediately again. A reinstall did fix it.
Storm Clouds over the Western Front - my WW1 2D dogfighting game for windows
2D Flight Sims - side scrolling aerial combat games

MrMaddog
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MrMaddog » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:03 am

Ok, I used a restore point and everything (including Steem) works again.

Before I had to "fix" DirectX 9 to get some other old game to work and that's what screwed Steem up. I might consider getting a 2nd hand PC for older games...

Mikefulton
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mikefulton » Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:14 am

Steem has been working fine on Windows 10 for me.

TwiliteZoner
Atari User
Atari User

Postby TwiliteZoner » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:59 pm

The problem I noticed is fullscreen corruption when launching a game from medium resolution that was not there before. Launching all the games from low-res has fixed this.

Some games obviously are affected by using the no-borders options. A good example is Pacmania STE. With no-borders selected the screen is not centered correctly. I know this is a nitpick since this was not an option on actual hardware.

Thanks again for continuing developing this emulator. The work is very much appreciated!

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:26 pm

TwiliteZoner wrote:Some games obviously are affected by using the no-borders options. A good example is Pacmania STE. With no-borders selected the screen is not centered correctly. I know this is a nitpick since this was not an option on actual hardware.

In fact, that game uses the borders so you really should check the option!

Social Media

Return to “Steem”