Steem 3.7.1 with MagiC OS in ROM instead of TOS

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code. The current version is v3.9.4.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Steem 3.7.1 with MagiC OS in ROM instead of TOS

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:43 am

If I select MagiC roms instead of TOS for a STF I get the message:

Which is incorrect as I run this combination in real hardware.

However if I press the run button it does boot:

But to boot MagiC in rom requires a PASTI HDD image which is fine I have it set up as you can see I have booted to MAGXDESK:

But I also want a Windows Folder virtual drive for ease of use and testing which I set as drive H:

However, the drive H: shows up on the desktop but is empty when I open it:

So why can't I have a pasti drive C: and also access a virtual HDD H: at the same time?

H: is not empty and has a lot of files on it. It is my normal non-pasti boot drive so I know it otherwise is recognized.

I need to test configurations under MagiC rom and a virtual HDD makes it so easy under windows to transfer files and folders.

Is this possible?

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Steem 3.7.1 with MagiC OS in ROM instead of TOS

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:50 am

The reason is simply that MagicC is not supported by Steem. It works though, but not everything is possible - as is case of virtual drives. It is hooked to trap #1, and because MagicC has different code than TOS it just works not. For instance if you try some regular TOS in RAM situation is sane. Don't know will Steven S. spending some time for this.
There are ways to transfer files from some Windows DIR to/from hard disk image file.
http://atari.8bitchip.info/drimus.php
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:53 pm

Ah I see, thank you for the explanation.

It would be a nice feature to have, but now I understand the technical implementation is probably more work than Steven would want to do.

I will try your program though. Thanks for the link. I use several of your softwares and they are very useful!

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:24 pm

AtariZoll wrote:There are ways to transfer files from some Windows DIR to/from hard disk image file.
http://atari.8bitchip.info/drimus.php

I tried this and it works good. But why won't it recurse into sub-directories automatically for file transfer? It gets tedious making sub-directories manually by hand. Thanks for the help. :cheers:

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:19 am

Yes, there are some things there what missing for comfortable usage.
But you can do transfers with Steem and TOS 2.06 for instance. Of course, LFN will be not recognized, but same is in Drive Imager - it is for 8.3 names only.
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:34 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:If I select MagiC roms instead of TOS for a STF I get the message:

Which is incorrect as I run this combination in real hardware.

Notice it says "normally" so it's not incorrect.
This message can be disabled in v3.7.3, check manual.
Steem SSE checks version in rom file.

But to boot MagiC in rom requires a PASTI HDD image which is fine I have it set up as you can see I have booted to MAGXDESK:

In v3.8.0 (coming soon), you should be able to run it without pasti as well.
There's a max of 4 devices, so you can transfer from one image to another.
That is, if the feature works!

But I also want a Windows Folder virtual drive for ease of use and testing which I set as drive H:

However, the drive H: shows up on the desktop but is empty when I open it:

So why can't I have a pasti drive C: and also access a virtual HDD H: at the same time?

H: is not empty and has a lot of files on it. It is my normal non-pasti boot drive so I know it otherwise is recognized.

I need to test configurations under MagiC rom and a virtual HDD makes it so easy under windows to transfer files and folders.

Is this possible?

As Petari said, GEMDOS hard disk emulation is based on the way GEMDOS, part of TOS, works, intercepting calls.
I didn't code it, it was all done by Steem authors.
It will not work with another, non-compatible, OS.
In Steem this OS (which I didn't know) will only work with ACSI images, which is lower-level and simpler emulation.

PS: I see one more happy XP user

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:49 am

AtariZoll wrote:Yes, there are some things there what missing for comfortable usage.
But you can do transfers with Steem and TOS 2.06 for instance. Of course, LFN will be not recognized, but same is in Drive Imager - it is for 8.3 names only.

I found that for MagiC it is comfortable to zip the folder (and any sub-folders) on the windows drive and then transfer it with your program to the Steem drive and unzip it on the Atari side which recreates the directory structure.

Thanks for the program! :cheers:

Social Media

Return to “Steem”