Some Tricks for Steem

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code. The current version is v3.9.4.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

MoodST
Brume's Right Hand
Brume's Right Hand

Some Tricks for Steem

Postby MoodST » Mon Apr 29, 2002 2:53 pm

Hi everybody, :)

I know that most of you are already much more expert in Steem than I am, but anyway I've got some tricks that may help new comers when they have non working games, apps or demos:

1 - Tos Version:
For each non working stuff, please try it with two different TOS in order to be sure it is not due to the TOS version you are using. The best would probably be to try both TOS 1.02 and TOS 1.62 with all non working applications. Some STF application are better (sometimes only) emulated with STE Tos 1.62.

2 - Amout of RAM:
The amount of ram can also be changed when an application is not running.
It happens that the emulator requires more RAM to run a Romset, but the contrary has also been verified. I have found one or two applications that won't run with 4 Meg of RAM, but will run with 1 Meg.

3 - The keyboard Language and TOS Version language:
Being French, I have used the French TOS for a while and have found a few issues that sometimes can give you the feeling a game is not working.
For exemple, run Steem with TOS 1.62 FR, with French keyboard settings, and in a game you have to press 1 to play, press 1 (not on the keypad, but just beside ESC key, as if you were using a laptop). This will print an 8. This kind of configuration seems also to prevent some games of running. I tend to think the best configuration would be: US Tos with US Keyboard settings.

4 - Zipped Roms / Read Only roms:
Some games won't run when the roms are zipped or read only (ex Maupity Island cracked by the Medway Boys, check for the rom on lankhor.net). This happens quite a lot, even when the game does not really need to write on the disk.

Using these four tricks, I could have quite a few not working roms of mine to be running anyway. I just thought it might help some people to verify their owns.

I will take this opportunity to thanks Steems Author for their wonderfull emulator, it is really the best available for PC. Congratulations guys.

Cheers,

MoodST

Silver Surfer
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon Apr 29, 2002 3:39 pm

Great!! I didn't know about the zips issue...Actually when I think about it, it is quite obvious...thanks! :)

I made this one sticky.

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby cb » Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:08 pm

I already knew about the zip thing, but I didn't know the Medway Boys version of Maupiti had this problem. Thanks for the info! :wink:

I remember some games from Impressions have this problem too (Paladin II).
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

Steem Authors
Steem Developer
Steem Developer

Postby Steem Authors » Fri May 03, 2002 3:02 am

For exemple, run Steem with TOS 1.62 FR, with French keyboard settings, and in a game you have to press 1 to play, press 1 (not on the keypad, but just beside ESC key, as if you were using a laptop). This will print an 8. This kind of configuration seems also to prevent some games of running. I tend to think the best configuration would be: US Tos with US Keyboard settings.

I haven't heard of this one before, what symbols do you have on your 1 key? A standard French keyboard has this:

&

Some games won't run when the roms are zipped or read only (ex Maupity Island cracked by the Medway Boys, check for the rom on lankhor.net). This happens quite a lot, even when the game does not really need to write on the disk.

It's annoying this one, I wish programs gave you more of an indication this is the problem. We have 2 choices when it comes to zipped disk images, we can make them read-only or we can make them read-write and lose all their changes everytime you remove the image from the drive. I've stuck with the first one as I think it is clearer, but I've been thinking of putting in an option for the other way, does anyone think that is a good idea?

Russell Hayward

MoodST
Brume's Right Hand
Brume's Right Hand

Postby MoodST » Fri May 03, 2002 8:27 am

Hi Russel,

Concerning my keyboard, I'm actually using a US (or maybe Irish) keyboard on an HP laptop.

The 1 key countains ! / 1. What surprised me with this particular point is that all the other keys are working ok (or seems to).

Concerning the Issue with Zip files, I think that to keep them read only was a good choice. Once you know it can block some games, you just have to try it with non working games.

Maybe it could be possible to get just a warning displayed by Steem when a program tries to get write access to a Zipped / Read Only image ? (I don't know if this is possible from a devellopment side, not being a develloper myself, but I guess it might be) Thus, the user knows he has to unzip the file on a Hard drive and unprotect it to use the application ?

MoodST

Steem Authors
Steem Developer
Steem Developer

Postby Steem Authors » Sat May 04, 2002 11:22 pm

Concerning my keyboard, I'm actually using a US (or maybe Irish) keyboard on an HP laptop.

The 1 key countains ! / 1. What surprised me with this particular point is that all the other keys are working ok (or seems to).

That surprises me too, I wouldn't have thought it would work very well at all. Unfortunately it is impossible to get every combination of PC keyboard, keyboard language and TOS working. It is especially difficult when AZERTY keyboards are involved as they are so different to the rest of the world's layout. So to get 'perfect' keyboard emulation all 3 settings have to match, for instance US PC keyboard, US keyboard language and US TOS.

Maybe it could be possible to get just a warning displayed by Steem when a program tries to get write access to a Zipped / Read Only image ? (I don't know if this is possible from a devellopment side, not being a develloper myself, but I guess it might be) Thus, the user knows he has to unzip the file on a Hard drive and unprotect it to use the application ?

Yes that is a good idea, but I have just tried a few programs and unfortunately it seems it won't work. If they were actually making an attempt to write to the disk and it went wrong because of the write protection then it would be easy to do, but the programs I tried never made any attempt to write to the disk. They are checking the write protect flag and crashing because that is set, unfortunately there is no way we can detect that (every program that uses the disk reads that flag reguarly, at the same time as many other flags).

Sincerely,
Russ

Postby Guest » Tue May 07, 2002 9:27 pm

Thanks for the info :)

docdunning

Agreed!

Postby docdunning » Tue Jun 18, 2002 6:15 pm

Thanks for the tips, and I agree ... Steem is a remarkable bit of software. I was amazed to find that such things existed - my ST is in the attic at present, and it might stay there if I can get more of the old favourites running with Steem.

Oscar Sheila
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Oscar Sheila » Thu May 08, 2003 7:51 am

I'm going to drag this thread back up and say...

In a couple of games I have managed to get going, the keyboard works when you tell it to run the game ie T for trainer, but then if it tell you to press space bar to continue it dosn't respond.

:?

The other problem I am having is that when I try to run Ghouls and Ghosts it comes up with 5 or so black bombs, and says "crash and burn - st reset"

Steem Authors
Steem Developer
Steem Developer

Postby Steem Authors » Sun May 11, 2003 11:11 pm

In a couple of games I have managed to get going, the keyboard works when you tell it to run the game ie T for trainer, but then if it tell you to press space bar to continue it dosn't respond.

Yes this can be irritating, we haven't worked out exactly why this happens in all the cases. Usually the best way to get round it is to hold down the key you are pressing to load the game (in your case T) until the "press space" screen appears, then release it, then press space.

The other problem I am having is that when I try to run Ghouls and Ghosts it comes up with 5 or so black bombs, and says "crash and burn - st reset"

I'm afraid I have 2 versions of this game and I can't get either of them to crash, what crack do you have? If you have time try the usual things, TOS version, memory size, write enabled disk and, or course, punching your monitor. :D

Sincerely,
Russell Hayward

Baz
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Baz » Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:25 pm

For as long as I can remember, I have been using F12 as a key that releases the mouse and stops emulation.
Today I changed profiles to an old one and the F12 stopped working.
Creating a new keyboard shortcut for F12 does not work at it thinks it is 'PAD)'. F11 is 'PAD('
After some messing about I found an old shortcuts.dat file that contained the right key setup.
F12 was actually shown as #93 (To get # I press the UK pound sign above the 3).
Thus if you want F12 to toggle emulation and cant get it to work, use #93. Presumably #92 gets F11 to work too.

Baz

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:50 pm

Use the PAUSE/BREAK-key to release the mouse. F12 is used in Winston :wink: .

Baz

Postby Baz » Sat Oct 23, 2004 2:32 pm

Yes, but to free the mouse AND stop emulation, you need to Pause/Break and then Shift+Pause/Break.
This way, I just hit F12 :)

Steem Authors
Steem Developer
Steem Developer

Postby Steem Authors » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:26 pm

Steem maps F12 to Pad ) in its default shortcut set, if that is enabled then it may interfere with any new shortcuts you add on F12.

The easiest way to make sure this works is to turn off every set (by clicking on the icon next to the set until it shows a red cross), then create a new set. Enable this set and create a shortcut like the attached picture, now F12 will act like shift+pause/break.

Hope this helps,
Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Maverick[RAM]
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Maverick[RAM] » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:12 pm

Steem Authors wrote:Steem maps F12 to Pad ) in its default shortcut set, if that is enabled then it may interfere with any new shortcuts you add on F12.

The easiest way to make sure this works is to turn off every set (by clicking on the icon next to the set until it shows a red cross), then create a new set. Enable this set and create a shortcut like the attached picture, now F12 will act like shift+pause/break.

Hope this helps,
Russ

It helps alot as a matter of fact, i can now very fast checkout different menus and all sorts of stuff.

I have it setup like so
Right-CTRL - Toggle Forward
Right-Shift - Cold Reset and Run
Backspace - Cold Reset

That works like a charm.

In case of any other reset or so I simply use the mouse and the normal
right or left click on mouse for appropriate reset mode.

Best thing with these toggle thing is that i forget myself and run it to long is no real hazard cause, it oftens wrap the scroller or whatever, or in worst case, i simply strike my Right-Shift again and rerun it.

And with two windows open, one explorer and the other STEEM
Just Drag N Drop the files one after the other to quickly check them.

Exellent feature that Drag N Drop.

Exellent emulator.
Just Brilliant

Best Regards
/<o>\
< x >
|_o_|

SYOTN - See You On The Net

AnkhAngel
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Some Tricks for Steem

Postby AnkhAngel » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:29 am

I know this may be the wrong place to mention this but I have spent 4 hours trying to get Steem to load to the C:/ Drive
& for some strange reason it will not properly load showing the Atari & ram test any thoughts or suggestions?? :megaphone:

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:06 pm

AnkhAngel1 wrote:for some strange reason it will not properly load showing the Atari & ram test any thoughts or suggestions??

Atari logo & ram test is only on TOS 2,06 onward.
Which TOS version are you using?
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

AnkhAngel
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AnkhAngel » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:05 pm

AnkhAngel1 wrote:I know this may be the wrong place to mention this but I have spent 4 hours trying to get Steem to load to the C:/ Drive
& for some strange reason it will not properly load showing the Atari & ram test any thoughts or suggestions?? :megaphone:

Thank You So Much Wongck you rule man I been workin' on this for days & would have never figured it out!!

AnkhAngel
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AnkhAngel » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:13 am

Hello Again I'm so glad you wise ones are here to talk to.I'm not finding any documentation on how to use multiple instruments in a song / track 1 2 3 etc....I'd like to combine instruments in Line 1 for example, any words of wisdom???

Retrogamer_ST
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Retrogamer_ST » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:23 am

"Scanlines Interpolated"

THANKS FOR THAT. :)

Every improvement in the "video area" is a great thing.

When using "scanlines interpolated", increase STeems own brightness and contrast a bit (20-25%) to compensate.

In the ZX Spin Emulator you can even choose the amount of scanlines, i usually use about 20-25% to make it look just right.

Atari ST was never built to work without scanlines and you really need them to get the right look on the screen. ST (like many other) computers from that time was quite limited and scanlines is a good thing to hide the limitations.

Social Media

Return to “Steem”