Steem Source released

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code. The current version is v3.9.4.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

Steem Authors
Steem Developer
Steem Developer

Re: Steem Source released

Postby Steem Authors » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:45 pm

Hi everyone,

great to see the enthusiasm about Steem... makes the pain of releasing it OSS worthwhile!

To clarify, it is GPL3... thought we'd updated the readme on that.

Sorry about the old / crappy code, we would have liked to tidy it up but we don't have time. Very happy if someone else would like to do it!

Let us know on email if you'd like to be a committer and we'll add you to the list... you need a gmail account. steem@gmx.net

Cheers,
Ant (Steem)

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:00 pm

I'm just an amateur programmer, but I find the technique of directly including cpp files strange (see main.cpp; emu.cpp). Normally, in C++, each h & cpp file is compiled as an obj file, then the linker puts them all together. Here, however, there are only a few objects. Most cpp files aren't compilable as is. For example, the 4K+ lines M68K emulation is just included in emu.cpp, along with psg, mfp, etc.
I see as potential reasons, mere hypotheses, but none convinces me:
- quicker compile (only for the whole project)
- more compact code (normally not really)
- enforcing conditional build (Unix...) or making it easier
- the order in building would be important (?)
It has as disadvantage:
- the IDE can't browse it and find classes, etc.
- harder to read

Hi & thanks for the release, Ant. I think I'll subscribe to show you what's tidy code (VC6-ready)!
In the CIA we learned that ST ruled
Steem SSE: http://sourceforge.net/projects/steemsse

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:08 pm

Steem Authors wrote:Hi everyone,

great to see the enthusiasm about Steem... makes the pain of releasing it OSS worthwhile!

To clarify, it is GPL3... thought we'd updated the readme on that.

Sorry about the old / crappy code, we would have liked to tidy it up but we don't have time. Very happy if someone else would like to do it!

Let us know on email if you'd like to be a committer and we'll add you to the list... you need a gmail account. steem@gmx.net

Cheers,
Ant (Steem)

Hello

thanks for releasing your sources. I succeeded in compiling it under Linux, but unfortunately the sound part (portaudio and rtsound) doesn't seem to work (at least for me on a recent distribution).
Portaudio doesn't give any sound, and even crash from time to time when I try to change sound settings while steem is running.
Rtaudio just crash immediatly and even prevent Xsteen from starting.

Did anyone succeeded in building Xsteem on a recent linux and get some sound ?

Maybe something is wrong when I compile it myself, so could it be possible to put a more recent xsteeem binary on steem homepage (the old one actually available don't produce sound anymore, as it mainly used OSS and /dev/dsp which don't really exist in recent distrib that now uses alsa instead of oss). I think xsteem would need to be linked with more recent version of the libraries it uses.

Thanks

Nicolas

Steem Authors
Steem Developer
Steem Developer

Postby Steem Authors » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:11 pm

Hi folks, good to see the interest.

Some of the points raised:

Steem debugger is included with the rest of the source, included from boiler.cpp (The Boiler Room of the Steem Engine, ha ha). The build script determines whether the debug code is included because it's a drag on performance.

Why are the files all included in each other? Because of very poor modularity. We'd never written something this big before and didn't know how to manage complexity. Modularity can be improved a lot, please feel free.

Big / small OSD - probably depends whether you are in stretch-blit (i.e. render at 320x200 and then stretch) or straight-blit (i.e. render at 640x400 with double-size pixels for the ST display). That can be influenced by the settings and the window size. We had a fight over the OSD, the spinning fujis in older versions were mine, the plasma box is Russ's... anyone want to bring back the spinning fujis, I'll be happy!

If you want to be a committer let me know your gmail address and I will add you. I think we also need a dedicated forum for Steem development... if you set one up, post here to let everyone know and we'll put it on the Steem mailing list as well.

By the way, we can't update our website because the FTP login doesn't work and we can't get hold of Richard Davey who runs Little Green Desktop (http://atari.st) which hosts our site. Anyone out there have any ideas?

It's true we are not very responsive most of the time... children, jobs, education, relationships etc.

Cheers,
Ant (Steem)

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:34 am

Steem Authors wrote:I think we also need a dedicated forum for Steem development... if you set one up, post here to let everyone know and we'll put it on the Steem mailing list as well.

Done - you now have a subforum called 'Development' right here within the STeem forum (your mod privileges cascade down).

@Steven Seagal: your posts re: improved functionality have been moved to this new forum. I've just lumped them into this thread
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:36 am

Hi Ant,

Great to see you here. Please send my greetings to Russ! :)

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:47 am

Steem Authors wrote:
Why are the files all included in each other? Because of very poor modularity. We'd never written something this big before and didn't know how to manage complexity. Modularity can be improved a lot, please feel free.

It's a pain to include all the correct headers but it makes debugging and browsing easier, at least in VC6.

Big / small OSD - probably depends whether you are in stretch-blit (i.e. render at 320x200 and then stretch) or straight-blit (i.e. render at 640x400 with double-size pixels for the ST display). That can be influenced by the settings and the window size.

Of course! where's the smiley for 'Duh!'
In the CIA we learned that ST ruled
Steem SSE: http://sourceforge.net/projects/steemsse

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:32 am

Steem Authors wrote:By the way, we can't update our website because the FTP login doesn't work and we can't get hold of Richard Davey who runs Little Green Desktop (http://atari.st) which hosts our site. Anyone out there have any ideas?

http://www.facebook.com/photonstorm

Steem Authors
Steem Developer
Steem Developer

Postby Steem Authors » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:54 pm

alexh - thanks for the contact. Cool that Richard works at Aardman, wonder if he's met Wallace?

Dal - many thanks for the forum.

ijor - I will say hello to Russ!

npomarede - Not surprised that Linux sound is broken. The APIs for PortAudio and RTAudio had changed quite a lot and we didn't want the OSS release to require obsolete versions, but we also didn't have enough time to test Linux sound. The problems should be pretty superficial, hopefully someone will go in there and debug it.

Cheers
Ant (Steem)

mamehead
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mamehead » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:29 am

Great news on the continued development. One problem I am still having and cannot fix is steem booting up stx images using a frontend. The emu just boots into the tos without reading the image that has been accessed from the frontend. Having researched the forums it seems that this was an emulator bug which had been addressed but may have been broken again. Could anybody shed some light on this situation as I am pulling my hair out tweaking config files etc. I am using steem 3.2 with pasti. Maximus arcade is the frontend I use which loads all other st images fine.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also is anyone compiling builds of new revs and are they available for the not so technically able?

Dio
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Dio » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:14 pm

(moved to STeem forum)

Social Media

Return to “Steem”