Reverse engeneering Steem

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code. The current version is v3.9.4.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Reverse engeneering Steem

Postby Steven Seagal » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:08 pm

Not seriously, but I wanted to give it a go, and various tools, like PE Explorer, seem to stall on Steem.exe.
Then I tried with IDA Pro, and it gives messages saying the executable might be protected. Is it possible? I think the authors used the free Borland C++ compiler. It would be surprising if it included protection features.
In the CIA we learned that ST ruled
Steem SSE: http://sourceforge.net/projects/steemsse

telengard
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: Reverse engeneering Steem

Postby telengard » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:29 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:Not seriously, but I wanted to give it a go, and various tools, like PE Explorer, seem to stall on Steem.exe.
Then I tried with IDA Pro, and it gives messages saying the executable might be protected. Is it possible? I think the authors used the free Borland C++ compiler. It would be surprising if it included protection features.

I've never seen that message myself using IDA Pro (on other apps), interesting...

I wish the Steem developers would open source the code since it the project has been idle for so long.

~telengard

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:04 pm

I thought about it. Why should the Steem authors open their source? After all, the WinSTon author opened his source and not much happened. It's a shame. So,rather than try and reverse engeneer Steem, I've loaded the WinSTon source in VC6 (still my IDE anyway), and begun tinkering in it, like making a debug build that works with MFC, transforming C into C++, etc.
I'll let you all know if it leads to something useful... :)

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:15 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:I thought about it. Why should the Steem authors open their source? After all, the WinSTon author opened his source and not much happened. It's a shame. So,rather than try and reverse engeneer Steem, I've loaded the WinSTon source in VC6 (still my IDE anyway), and begun tinkering in it, like making a debug build that works with MFC, transforming C into C++, etc.
I'll let you all know if it leads to something useful... :)

Not much happened with Winston is a massive understatement. The released WInston v0.5 code was the very basis for Hatari!
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:23 pm

Oops! I thought that only Stew appeared after WinSTon!

Edit:
I looked at Hatari. I think there's still room for somthing else.

Ato
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Ato » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:19 am

Steven Seagal wrote:I thought about it. Why should the Steem authors open their source? After all, the WinSTon author opened his source and not much happened. It's a shame.

If nothing happens after the source code has been release, nothing is lost. So what? But if other developers pick up the ball and start carrying the torch, this can only benefit the project.

In my experience, not releasing source code is because of either or both of two reasons:
1. The source code sucks (add big time if you like) and the company/developer is alergic to/afaraid of criticism/questions about the code quality.
2. The company/developer believe that they have invented the quantum hyper drive algorithm in their software and want to keep it secret for dubious reasons.

daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby daeghnao » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:22 am

Ato wrote:In my experience, not releasing source code is because of either or both of two reasons:
1. The source code sucks (add big time if you like) and the company/developer is alergic to/afaraid of criticism/questions about the code quality.
2. The company/developer believe that they have invented the quantum hyper drive algorithm in their software and want to keep it secret for dubious reasons.

I'd add:

3. You used code from different sources with dubious licensing or copyright and are not 100% sure that it'd be OK to publish as is, so some parts need to be rewritten and tested before you can be confident that the source can be given away.

SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SofiST » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:32 am

I can add some mine ideas:
4. Code self likely sucks not much, but listings (sources) are ugly, not well commented and similar. Before publishing they'd need invest some time to make it nicer and more usable.
5. Pure lazynes and lack of care (maybe combined with disappointment in community) - some people even never replies on mails, PMs .
6. There are some dirty tricks in code to achieve some things, what is not according to programming schools, books.
Something says me that it is case with Steem at couple places and Pasti too. Personally, I don't think that is is something bad.

If I'm wrong, please deny me with facts - what means sources :mrgreen:

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:28 pm

Well ugly code can be replaced. Thothy removed the old Winston CPU core to use the more portable UAE CPU core for Hatari instead.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:46 am

SofiST wrote:I can add some mine ideas:
4. Code self likely sucks not much, but listings (sources) are ugly, not well commented and similar. Before publishing they'd need invest some time to make it nicer and more usable.
5. Pure lazynes and lack of care (maybe combined with disappointment in community) - some people even never replies on mails, PMs .
6. There are some dirty tricks in code to achieve some things, what is not according to programming schools, books.

:lol: :lol: yes very likely codes are not commented due to laziness.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Social Media

Return to “Steem”