Recovering data for retro remakes

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code. The current version is v3.9.4.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

goonzy
Atarian
Atarian

Recovering data for retro remakes

Postby goonzy » Tue May 18, 2010 3:46 pm

Hi all

I'm trying to do some atari retro remakes, and would like for this to get a "clean" memory snapshot of the wanted intros to recover bitmaps and data tables for sines and palettes to be as close as possible as the original... my problem is I can't find something giving me the expected results :)

When I try to do a memory snapshot off an emulator, it's either obfuscated, or packed in a way or another, whild I'd like to get pure raw data.

When trying to use a Ultimate Ripper cartridge within steem, I seem to get packed data in mmory (or perhaps some kind of encryptipon)

I was wondering if there was something eles I could use, which would work as and Action Replay cart on Amiga (winUAE) r a way do have a real raw memory snapshot of any emulator?

Thanks in advance

goonzy
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Recovering data for retro remakes

Postby goonzy » Tue May 18, 2010 5:42 pm

goonzy wrote:Hi all

I'm trying to do some atari retro remakes, and would like for this to get a "clean" memory snapshot of the wanted intros to recover bitmaps and data tables for sines and palettes to be as close as possible as the original... my problem is I can't find something giving me the expected results :)

When I try to do a memory snapshot off an emulator, it's either obfuscated, or packed in a way or another, whild I'd like to get pure raw data.

When trying to use a Ultimate Ripper cartridge within steem, I seem to get packed data in mmory (or perhaps some kind of encryptipon)

I was wondering if there was something eles I could use, which would work as and Action Replay cart on Amiga (winUAE) r a way do have a real raw memory snapshot of any emulator?

Thanks in advance

sorry for crossposting, didi not realise there was a full moderation :) so mod, you can move/link the previous posts to this one :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue May 18, 2010 6:17 pm

No problem, welcome to the forum.

There's also the option of dumping the 1MB of memory using STEEM Debug and then using modern PC graphics ripping tools from the file saved off.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

goonzy
Atarian
Atarian

Postby goonzy » Tue May 18, 2010 6:42 pm

Mug UK wrote:No problem, welcome to the forum.

There's also the option of dumping the 1MB of memory using STEEM Debug and then using modern PC graphics ripping tools from the file saved off.

I just installed steem debug :) somehow I must be thik, I can't find the 1mb memory dump :) I somehow found out that the standard memory snapshot is actually in reverse order that's why I can't exploit them easily :)

is there a key shortcut for the 1mb memory dump?

Nyh
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Nyh » Tue May 18, 2010 8:41 pm

goonzy wrote:
Mug UK wrote:I just installed steem debug :) somehow I must be thik, I can't find the 1mb memory dump :) I somehow found out that the standard memory snapshot is actually in reverse order that's why I can't exploit them easily :)

is there a key shortcut for the 1mb memory dump?

Open a memory browser (Boilerroom->browsers) and then you have the dump option.

Hans Wessels

goonzy
Atarian
Atarian

Postby goonzy » Thu May 20, 2010 10:52 am

Ok found out that my shortcut for steem did not point at the right one :) and that my .ini file had 0 for debug mode ... It works like a charm thanks for all the replys :)

Social Media

Return to “Steem”