steem, m-ros & co - midi-input-problem

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code. The current version is v3.9.4.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

mr.music
Atariator
Atariator

steem, m-ros & co - midi-input-problem

Postby mr.music » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:08 pm

hi steem-fans,
i have a problem to solve. has anybody an idea?

the situation:

vista-laptop
steem 3.2
steinberg midex on usb
external midi keyboard

the problem:

the progs work perfectly under steem

the midi-signal is recognized by sequencers under vista (outside steem),

but i can not manage it to get this signal to steem > m-ros - cubase lite

what ever i do - yes, i can see the midex 3.1 input in the steem-midi-preferences, but no signal comes into cubase lite or any other midi programm (prg or acc).

has anybody a solution for this?

thanx and regards stan

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Re: steem, m-ros & co - midi-input-problem

Postby charles » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:30 pm

midex is that huge maroon hardware addon,

how did you get it hooked up with usb?
and how does steem recgonize usb extras?

it needs to have a driver actived at program launch to be initiated... this opens a handle to the midex addon ...

i get the feeling you might have the wrong midex for atari cubase ,,
it should not easilly connect to usb..
again how does the atari cartridge port terminal
adapt a usb receptical?

charles
The radioactive half-life : )
Atari is a lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! ! Im printing unreadable characters ...!

mr.music
Atariator
Atariator

Postby mr.music » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:30 pm

hi charles,
the midex is steinbergs midex 3.1 for windows (usb) and works well under vista with windows sequencers.

it is shown in steem as a midi-input
steem1.jpg

so the only problem is , that no midi -data is transfered whithin steem to m-ros (or what-ever the problem is).

any idea now?

thanx
stan :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:55 pm

this is a good topic stan , but what i see and truely know is the midex the atari version uses utilizes the cartridge port,,, so you could have interfacing with the midi ports as much as you like , but there is no option i know of in steem to redirect the cartridge port of a real atari to the usb of a pc

.....see a real atari has those ports

PC = ATARI
----------------------------------------
serial = atari modem

parrell port = printer

midi port = midi ports

emulated disk c,d,e,f ..whatever in steem = hard drive port

NONE = cartridge port (except under "machine" but this applies to program imageswithin steem)

the cartridge port is on the left hand side of the unit

while the other ports on the rear
---------------------------------------------------------------
what the steem does not supply us with is a user handle input/output for the ataris cartridge port.

and the atari cubase is engineered to use the cartridge port for the midex dongle,

there is no way to reconfigure the program ,it boots up and when the midex driver is active , chooses to use the cartridge port of the atari for midex activity.

my only logical suggestion is to write to the steem authors
and request some input towards adapting a request about making a cartridge port in the list of ports us users may access for program interaction.
(but how to configure?????this will require consulting steinberg for midex pin configuration???)

steem authors are a good bunch and listen with good intentions to most of the suggestions

its cause the cartridge has a 32 bit bus on the atari i think??? , but i don't know fo rsure
somethings are easier to emulate then others...

i had a problem with a couple commands for programming that conflict while under the steem emulation , there is a work around solution ,, not always easy.

charles

mr.music
Atariator
Atariator

Postby mr.music » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:38 pm

hi charles,
i intensivly read your post. tahnk you for all the infos.

in that case idon't understand one thing:

is there any way at all to get midi-data from steem to any window midi port or the other way - midiin in windows to steem in??

i though that there for there is the menue i showed in the screenshot - a redirection of the windows-sided device ( in my case a usb-midex) to an internal input of steem.

this steem menue suggests this.

what has all of this to do whith the atari midex? i don' understan exactly. i have several ataris working in my studio, so i have a good experience in using hardware on st's ( i run midex+ together with smp24, meens 5 inputs and 8 outputs under m-ros ! working perfectly, even with polyframe!)

but back in steem: have you or any one else reading this any idea, how we can use an external midi-keyboard sending midi-signals threw usb to steem? is this at least not possible?

i will try to contact the steem-guys, if they are still programming ( the steem-site is not updated, as far as i could see).

but anyway, thank's for helping...

regards stan

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:24 pm

yeah sure there is a mrthod to output midi data thru a pc port with steem ,
like you thought,,in and out ,,

but you will be limited to only 16 independant channels and thats all there is with midi 1-16 channels but good enough if you know what you're doing!.

go to your local music astore , music mart , guitar shop where ever they sell rent or display intruments like guitasrs , keyboards , midi cables...

and get a joystick port /midi port splitter... this in turn goes into the pc joystick port
splits the signal off into a midi in a midi out and a joystick plug for the pc ...

very cool , i bought one few years ago and believe me if you want me to i can make you one
for some $$$ , i paid $40.00 6 years ago for mine if i make one for you , it might be about 50.00 or 60.00

no problems tho , what ever you want .

then set steem up so it's
midi output is external midi
and its
midi input is external midi ..

ok
till next time

charles

mr.music
Atariator
Atariator

Postby mr.music » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:38 am

hi charles, thanx, i think, i am already on the way, but the problem seems to be vista on a new laptopp, no serial/ parallel-ports,but usb/firewire etc.
hi-tec!

i am also aware of the 16 channel limit, which is no problem,
what i need more is the input for putting data into the sequencer and the arpeggiator (working "on the road"). in the studio then i can put these data to my st4.....whith lots of outputs.

basicly i did what you suggest (clear), my usb-midi-interface (which is a midex 3.1) is even shown in steem as a midi-in / out port.

but at least no data-flow thru it.

i keep om looking for a solution...

thank you again. regards stan

PS later at night: it worked fora short moment, no idea , how, next reboot in steem killed the dream.

so:

does anybode know a programm for vista, which is able to record the midi-input of the soundcard to a midi-file?

example: software 1 plays some notes in midi > soundcard generates audio > program 2 generates recorded midifile of this

the reasn is, software 1 cannot export any midi data,only play on channel 1

shifter
Atarian
Atarian

Postby shifter » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi mr.music, I don't know if this will help but, I am using an m-audio mk-461 usb keyboard. This has usb plus a normal midi connection. It has an option to send the data going thru usb midi out to the normal midi connection. So, in steem I choose the mk-461 for both midi in and out, cubase lite-midi thru checked. Now everything is triggered on my second machine which is using the normal midi cable and running Kontakt. You can get these kb's cheap sometimes and there are smaller versions which I would think have this option as well but I would check it out first. HTH

shifter

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:01 pm

the problem is cubase is configured to out put the extra midi channels through the cartridge port ,which then in turn addresses the "midex" expander issuing the extra ports
a and b .

so a midi interface will definitlly be regonnized by the midi ports , just not expandable
in the same manner as a port expander through the cartridge port can be .

and sadilly enough cubase uses no midi port channel expanders , only a cartridge or a rs232 midi expander.

charles

Social Media

Return to “Steem”