can you map keyboard keys to a joystick button in Steem?

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code. The current version is v3.9.4.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

STcomp
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

can you map keyboard keys to a joystick button in Steem?

Postby STcomp » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:32 am

I was just wondering if STeem, or any ST emulator, can map keyboard keys to joystick buttons, to make shooting games that used the ST keyboard for special functions a little more fun to play. Also this is a weird question, but my F10 key is out on my laptop keyboard, is there a way to remap the f10 key to another key like f11??? (in STeem or any ST emulator)

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Re: can you map keyboard keys to a joystick button in Steem?

Postby Desty » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:11 am

I don't know about STeem, since I haven't used it for a few years... it probably has some mechanism for remapping keys.
Hatari allows you to define a custom keymap file, which maps SDL keyboard codes (which you can find online, in one of the SDL header files at least) to ST keyboard scancodes.

About the keyboard -> joystick mapping, I'm not sure... if not, you might be able to configure your joystick software to simulate a certain keypress when a particular button is pressed. Maybe you can find a generic joystick macro program if one didn't come with the device.
tá'n poc ar buile!

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:49 am

IIRC Steem allows that out of the box, e.q. making a joypad button behave like pressing SPACE or so on the ST keyboard.
Just explore the joystick configuration dialogs.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:58 am

Desty wrote:About the keyboard -> joystick mapping, I'm not sure...

I would be grateful if somebody could answer this as I would like a PC joystick for use with STEEM. At the moment all my low res colour stuff is don via STEEM.

StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby StickHead » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:21 pm

This is possible. You need to go to the shotcuts menu (the little lightning bolt on the top-right) from there you can assign joystick buttons to ST keys, re-map your F key, whatever you want. I found this handy for taking 'action' screenshots by assigning a joystick button to 'take screenshot.' Now I don't need to put down the stick to take a piccie!

Just click 'add new' then click on the empty box and STeem will wait for input of what you want to map (ie Joystick button, F11) then tell it what you want to assign with the drop-down menu.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

STcomp
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby STcomp » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:30 am

thanks for the help everyone! it pretty much kicks ass to map keyboard keys to a nice little USB gamepad, especially for all the platformers (like Beyond the Ice Palace and many others) that have you annoyingly having to hit space or a function key while you are trying to deal with a controller. now if that was only possible on a REAL ST! :D That would be da bomb.

Social Media

Return to “Steem”