Using Atari Floppies on the PC

A forum for anything about the Steem Engine STE emulator, comments, problems, bug reports etc. Steven Seagal regularly provides updated versions of the original STEem code. The current version is v3.9.4.

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

muso512
Atarian
Atarian

Using Atari Floppies on the PC

Postby muso512 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:07 am

Hi! I have an Atari ST1040 which appears to be on the blink{could be a prob with cable to the monitor].I cant get anyone to fix it and so I was wondering if there is any way of using my floppies on a PC, or transferring the data somehow. I have plenty of expensive software and also MIDI files. Even if the software doesnt work, I'd be happy to be able to use the MIDI files on my PC. Help and thanks! :D

ppera

Re: Using Atari Floppies on the PC

Postby ppera » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:29 pm

Hi, and welcome to the Forum :D

Most of Atari floppies can be fine usable on PC. Usual way is to first making floppy image files and work with them, instead of direct work with floppies (what is possible in some cases, but not recommended). What SW for transferring your floppies into floppy image files will you use depends from your OS on PC.
Most popular Windows XP has troubles with reading many of Atari floppies (800KB capacity for instance). In that case you need some special program which will override Windows limits : http://ppera.07x.net/atari/floimgd.php

Then, we have some nice Atari ST(E) emulators for PC. Best is the Steem - it will run almost everything.
http://steem.atari.st/download.htm

Note: for copy protected floppies (original SW in most of cases) you need working Atari and program Pasti.

muso512
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Using Atari Floppies on the PC

Postby muso512 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:46 pm

Thanks a million! All of my Atari software is original -however, I have a feeling that I will not be able to get the Atari in working condition. In this part of the world, it is best to stay far away from repairmen! I will follow the advice you have given me-thanks again.

Social Media

Return to “Steem”