Added a sub-category to the Wiki

Check out the Atari Forum Wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Added a sub-category to the Wiki

Postby Grunaki » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:08 am

Multiplayer Games - i.e. Games that require another ST to play them 2 or more player or games you can play 4 or more player with a multitap.

I've only included games mentioned in this thread so far and I'm sure the list is far from complete, so if anyone knows of any more, go ahead and add them in or post them here and I'll do it (eventually! :wink: )
Thermopylae is now an Enemy Island!

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:38 am

Nice work Grunaki.

I'll add the DIY guide to the 4-player adapter when I can.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

MetalSnake
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby MetalSnake » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:24 am

added Oxyd and Oxyd Magnum to the 2 Atari STs needed list.

rb
Netatari Developer
Netatari Developer

Postby rb » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:12 pm

Hi

I have created a lot of new templates recently. Most of them start with "AL " for (Atari Legend". These are templates that point to the URL of the game description. They are base on yet another template called "AL-Game" which expects two parameters: AL id and the official (real) name of the game.

When you look at Grunaki's new article "Serial Cable/Modem Games" you'll see the first game is "Days of Thunder". So we could create a template "AL Days of Thunder" like this

{{AL-Game|559|Days of Thunder}}

This template can then be used in any other article incl. such lists like that:

{{AL Days of Thunder}}

The reason for templates is quite obvious. You do not always have to go to AL and retrieve the URL and game id since it is already included in the template AL-Game. Another advantage is that whenever AL should change its URL or for whatever reason a game gets another id you ony have to adjust it in one single template. Another advantage is to keep the article small and overall readability of the article script.

There are also templates for game publisher (in this case Mindscape {{AL-Mindscape}}) for the same reasons.

Regards

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:16 pm

I really need to get my head around these templates etc. Knew I should have asked my brother about them at the weekend :oops:
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

rb
Netatari Developer
Netatari Developer

Postby rb » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:35 pm

Creating a template is no sorcery.
They work basically like #define in C. If you have a template called Template:Test with the definition

I am a template

and you use it in a normal article script like that for example:

{{test}}, no big deal

you'll get

I am a template, no big deal

in the article page.

A little trickier are templates with parameters, especially since AF wiki uses an old version of Mediawiki. Let's assume a template like this: Template:Name

My name is {{{1}}} {{{2}}}

The three braces wrapped around the numbers are placeholder that can be substituted by piped parameters:

Hello, {{name|Joe|Bloggs}}

will result in ...

Hello, My name is Joe Bloggs.

So it should be obvious that {{{1}}} is replaced by Joe, and {{{2}}} by Bloggs.
I have used this technique in most of my templates. Saves a lot of space and typing

regards

Social Media

Return to “Wiki Discussions”