4P Gauntlet wiki Entry: wrong!?

Check out the Atari Forum Wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

Serblander
Atari User
Atari User

4P Gauntlet wiki Entry: wrong!?

Postby Serblander » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:41 pm

I looked at the wiki entry for the 4P adapter games and the original Gauntlet game was listed. However, i do not believe this to be the case.

Just the other day, to test this out, i plugged in my 4P (printer port) adapter and put in my original/commercial, 2 disc version of Gauntlet. It didn't work.

Not only that, but the manual only mentions one or two players - nothing about 3 or 4!

I'm not sure if there was ever a hack or crack or any type of 'ack' for the game, but the original version is 2P only!

If anyone has ever played the original/first Gauntlet with more than 2P simultaneous, can you please let me/us know?

Cheers!

Btw, the adapter works flawlessly with the sequel, which got me hooked for some time yet again with Green Elf! :mrgreen:
twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/Serblander

WANTED: (all CIB where possible)
--> ROBOKIT « Atari ST
--> R/C Aerochopper « Atari ST
--> Traders « Atari ST
Any CIB Atari ST networkable game (Populous II, Fire Brigade, Vroom, etc)

Klapauzius
The Klaz
The Klaz

Re: 4P Gauntlet wiki Entry: wrong!?

Postby Klapauzius » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:02 pm

The original Gauntlet is definitely 2 players only on the ST.
While patching it I found no clue in the code that would suggest any support of a 4P adapter.
http://www.klapauzius.net
http://dbug.kicks-ass.net/klaz

The tears are welling in my eyes again, I need twenty big buckets to catch them in, twenty pretty girls to carry them down, twenty deep holes to bury them in.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:25 pm

OK that page is fixed now
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

NightSprinter
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby NightSprinter » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:29 am

Sorry to necro-post, but when selecting your character, pressing left or right on the keyboard actually brings up "MIDI JOY0" and "MIDI JOY1". I'm not sure what it refers to, but it leads me to believe there was some special adapter for Gauntlet that could be made to allow a full four-player game.

sarnau
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sarnau » Thu May 14, 2015 4:42 am

Serblander wrote:I'm not sure if there was ever a hack or crack or any type of 'ack' for the game, but the original version is 2P only!

There actually was a hack - I did it... I added 4 player support, fixed some issues with the rendering (there was a redraw issues of the last row), added support for the blitter (which was a really nice soft scrolling) and also a full level editor. The hack was not wide spread, because I kept the copy protection. This meant you actually needed an original copy to play the 4-player version. If somebody still has this one, that would be great!

catmando
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby catmando » Thu May 14, 2015 6:48 am

NightSprinter wrote:Sorry to necro-post, but when selecting your character, pressing left or right on the keyboard actually brings up "MIDI JOY0" and "MIDI JOY1". I'm not sure what it refers to, but it leads me to believe there was some special adapter for Gauntlet that could be made to allow a full four-player game.

Maybe there is the possibility to connect joysticks to the the midi ports?
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

sarnau
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sarnau » Sat May 16, 2015 1:33 am

catmando wrote:
NightSprinter wrote:Sorry to necro-post, but when selecting your character, pressing left or right on the keyboard actually brings up "MIDI JOY0" and "MIDI JOY1". I'm not sure what it refers to, but it leads me to believe there was some special adapter for Gauntlet that could be made to allow a full four-player game.

Maybe there is the possibility to connect joysticks to the the midi ports?

The adapter to support 2 more joysticks (besides an STE) was on the parallel port. MIDI is a serial protocol and as such you need some logic to convert the 5 bits (4 directions plus button) to a serial MIDI packet.

galax
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby galax » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:10 pm

sarnau wrote:There actually was a hack - I did it... [...] If somebody still has this one, that would be great!

I just received a copy of the disk image from NightSprinter, it seems to be sarnau's modified version! I described what I found on the disk in a post on AtariAge. Hope it's OK to share it on here, here's the disk:
Gauntlet.st
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sarnau
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sarnau » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:05 pm

Cool that somebody found this version. Yes, we also added a level editor. But I left the copy protection intact to avoid any unnecessary trouble. Maybe somebody removed that one...

sarnau
Atari User
Atari User

Postby sarnau » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:10 pm

I don't remember the Joystick code. However, it did have blitter support and STE. My guess with the MIDI code is that you have to launch the MIDI app on a second computer linked via MIDI to the Atari (MIDI Out => MIDI In). The 4-player joystick adapter on the parallel port might also be supported, because around that time I helped on games supporting them.

walterj64bit
Atari User
Atari User

Postby walterj64bit » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:49 pm

sarnau wrote:Cool that somebody found this version. Yes, we also added a level editor. But I left the copy protection intact to avoid any unnecessary trouble. Maybe somebody removed that one...

A level editor? Than that would mean we can make an unofficial "Gauntlet - The Deeper Dungeons" that was never release for the ST. :cheers:
SC1224, 1040ST(E)4MB, The Link 2, RoDIME Systems 45 Plus, RoDIME Systems 20 Plus, Happy Computers Discovery Cartridge.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:15 pm

Sadly it doesn't seem to launch on the Falcon. I was going to test it out between the Falcon and my MiST to see if I could get 4-player going.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:45 pm

If you have Unix/Linux machine, you could link multiple Hatari instances together with "virtual" MIDI connections to test that. For an example, see:
http://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/h ... di-ring.sh

Social Media

Return to “Wiki Discussions”