database

Check out the Atari Forum Wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

database

Postby alexh » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:38 pm

If I was interested in creating a database interfaced by the wiki, would that be easy? Is there an SQL (or some other server) on atari-forum?

Why??

I wanted to start an Atari Hardware database concentrating on ST(fm), STe and MegaSTe hardware, third party and Atari.

I want to collect photographs, details on jumpers etc.

There seems to be so much cool hardware poo out there that most people have never seen, or heard about.

Hopefully a decent database will help prevent hardware from being binned due to lack of information / manuals / drivers.

Zenichiro
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Zenichiro » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:14 am

Actually I've been thinking just the same thing, that's why I've been motivated to try to help out with working on the wiki lately and scouring the net for info on all the hardware, obscure or otherwise that was available for the ST.

It's very important that not only is all the information on great hacks and projects for the ST range kept safe and presented in the best way, it's also vital that any of us who come across some unknown hardware have at least a chance of finding out a little about it and how it may be used.

Ideally I'd like to see detailed step by step walkthroughs for all the projects, along with lots of suitable photographs and diagrams. I'd also like a parts list with estimated prices along with suppliers covering the main markets, UK, US, Germany, France.

Likewise for the hardware database, I'd like to see all the things you've mentioned, detailed photographs, front, back, installed, etc. Jumpers and options, manuacturer, release year and price , etc etc. And of course PDF manuals/install instructions available for download.

This would be such an invaluable resource if everyone just contributed a bit and would build up quickly. I've been amazed just how many obscure products there are out there that I'd never heard of but found with a little research.

teh3pwner
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby teh3pwner » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:25 pm

I'm willing to help, i can supply you with pictures, info and any other stuff.
I have a lot of free time so i search the net alot also, im from slovenia, so i can understand and translate, slovenian, croatian, serbian, and i know a little of polaish and rusian, will go on the net today and post all the interesting stuff i find, someone should make a sticky that regards the wiki database :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:49 pm

My stock answer for anyone wanting to help with the Wiki - "the more the merrier".

AlexH .. talk to Silver Surfer re: your database add-on as he might know what we can and can't do in the background
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:06 am

Why would you need a db for that? I don't get how you want it to work. Under mediawiki you can very well work with category tags and organize anything and everything under the same or multiple umbrellas...
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: database

Postby wongck » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:48 am

AlexH, if you still want to do this, I can help you put it into a table. Just pass me the contents (writeup & photos).
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Social Media

Return to “Wiki Discussions”