[Changed] - Protecting the Wiki from SPAMMERS.

Check out the Atari Forum Wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Moderator Team

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

[Changed] - Protecting the Wiki from SPAMMERS.

Postby RetroGamerUK » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:14 pm

Hello again folks,
Following the recent spate of evil nasty spamming in the wiki, I (that's me) have had the most clever idea of Padlocking certain topics within the wiki, so that they may not be defaced with any more vile retched spam :x

"Padlocking" means nobody but the admin can modify the topic, so it would not be a good idea to lock topics that are "open" such as missing game lists etc...

I cannot personally Padlock anything in there as only the admins have such power! :twisted:

So the suggestion is, that anyone who has made an entry into the Wiki that they now consider to be "complete" in that no further editing is required should inform the admins (Mug and Silver) by means of replying here with details of the wiki topics that you believe should be locked.
I have already recommended some walkthroughs to be locked as I know they are complete, they are now locked and even I cannot modify them.

:)
Last edited by RetroGamerUK on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lautreamont
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Lautreamont » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:59 pm

Hum, interesting.

Tell us a bit more of how you feeled when your teacher
wrote on your homework with his big red pen.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:06 pm

Lautreamont wrote:Hum, interesting.

Tell us a bit more of how you feeled when your teacher
wrote on your homework with his big red pen.

What's this comment got to do with removing crap from the Wiki?

Jeez I really do give up with some of the "humour" on here dressed as comments.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:14 pm

He's lost me as well mate :?
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

SkylineDave
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SkylineDave » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:01 am

i think its a shame to have to padlock the wiki, even if its only a select few articles, cos the whole point of a Wiki is that its written by everyone and can be modified at any time. but as always, its the minority who spoil it for everyone else. is it not possible for modifications to be ratified by admins before theyre applied to the wiki? that way people can still contribute, but the ****ers dont get to ruin it
AKA Megadaz / Black Eagle --- STOS, Dungeon Master and Captive fan!

Proud member of the GameBaseST team.
Founder of the one-man DemoBaseST team!

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:23 pm

That could put some work load on the mods, who are usually busy blocking spammers...
As I said, its only the "completed/finished" topics that are to be padlocked, this practice is also commonplace in other wikis which is where I got the idea.

So this will not affect the openness of the wiki at all as users will still be free to start new topics, edit the "active" ones, and if a topic is incorrectly padlocked i.e. there is room for improvement or further entries then it could always be unpadlocked by request, I am assuming...

Another way would be to strictly control who can register to use the wiki, but that would not be a very "open" wiki either..

Sadly in this internet we live in nowadays there will always be scum, and the only way to stop them is to deny them access.

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:43 pm

Why not just link wiki editing to our atari-forum memberships?

Then if say, an article has been spammed/ruined, and it turns out that the user Desty made the changes, then his wiki editing privileges can be suspended and someone can have a "talk" with him about wtf he's doing.

No need to lock it totally; just authenticate all edits.
tá'n poc ar buile!

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:17 pm

Would be good IMO to link not only the accounts of the wiki with the forum as was suggested earlier, but to also link the Atari Legend accounts as well, would make it easier for me and give the Atari Passport feel to the account, perhaps I should find out how others feel about this by some sort of vote, or collation of mass-opinion thingy..... whats the word I am looking for?... :?

Whatever happens, just leaving the wiki "open for all" is asking for trouble.

So to summarise, these are the ideas put forward so far to combat spam in the wiki (in no order other than how much I like them :wink:):
  1. Padlocking the "completed" topics i.e. topics that require no further input or editing, with the understanding that if the need arises the topic can be unlocked by the admin...
  2. Implementing a bot-proof registration system i.e. a random number image etc, I would add that E-Mail verification to a "proper" E-Mail address would also be a good idea.
  3. Integrating the user accounts of the forum with the wiki, it was suggested that this would be more effective if users have to register with the forum first to use the Wiki... .
  4. Having all entries and modification verified by someone before they are added to the wiki.

So any more ideas?

The problem I have with suggestion No.4 is that it would make adding things impossibly slow, for example, when I was doing walkthroughs from memory I was adding entries whilst playing the game and continually submitting / checking how it looked, I would have been buggered had I had to wait for someone to verify every entry...
So I don't think its a good idea but its an idea nontheless so I have added it to the list, and don't worry, I won't do any polls from this :wink:

jens
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jens » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:55 pm

I'd vote for 3.
No need for already registered users to register a second time.
Greetings, Jens

Falcon030 - TT030 - Mega/STe - 1040 STf - 520 ST+ - ST-Book - Milan 060

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:03 pm

3 seems like a good idea .. but can the two be linked in that way? Guess Silver Surfer is the person who can implement this.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

jens
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jens » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:17 pm

Don't see any technical problems.
The wiki and forum are on one domain, so this should be possible.
Greetings, Jens

Falcon030 - TT030 - Mega/STe - 1040 STf - 520 ST+ - ST-Book - Milan 060

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:18 pm

RetroGamerUK wrote:The problem I have with suggestion No.4 is that it would make adding things impossibly slow, for example, when I was doing walkthroughs from memory I was adding entries whilst playing the game and continually submitting / checking how it looked, I would have been buggered had I had to wait for someone to verify every entry...

And all the spam submissions would have to be checked and rejected individually.... pox upon that!
tá'n poc ar buile!

Social Media

Return to “Wiki Discussions”