Pasti images that currently don’t work.

In this forum you'll find more information about the Pasti & VAPI Tools and the Preservation Project built around these tools. Come on in to find out more about it and discuss these projects.

Moderators: Mug UK, ijor, Moderator Team

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:34 pm

This is a list of original programs that currently don’t work under any emulator. It includes only those cases that I could confirm the behavior. There are some other cases reported but for one reason or other this isn’t confirmed (yet).

In all the cases I confirmed that the Pasti image is ok. The reason of failure seems to be bugs, or lack of precision, in the emulators. In one case it seems the game is for ST only (not STe), so this might be the reason it doesn't run under Steem.

Note that on most (if not all) cases a cracked version works fine. It is usually the anti-hacking code in the protection that breaks the CPU emulation.

Blood Money
Hyperforce (possibly, non-STe game)
Warp
Last edited by ijor on Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

ppera

Re: Pasti images that currently don’t work.

Postby ppera » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:00 am

ijor wrote:In all the cases I confirmed that the Pasti image is ok. The reason of failure seems to be bugs, or lack of precision, in the emulators. In one case it seems the game is for ST only (not STe), so this might be the reason it doesn't run under Steem.
Blood Money
Hyperforce (possibly, non-STe game)
Warp

I hear first time that ST only programs work not under Steem...
Are you sure in this?
Is there some list about non-STE games?

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:21 pm

ppera wrote:I hear first time that ST only programs work not under Steem... Are you sure in this?

It depends on the reason that the program is not STe compatible.

If it's a TOS version issue, then STEEM has no problem because you can use any pre STe TOS under STEEM. If it's a hardware incompatibility, then it will likely fail because STEEM it's an STe emulator.

I think there was a thread listing some titles. But note that there is a huge difference between cracked and original releases. Many ST only games fail because of the protection, and then the cracked version usually has no compatibility problems.

Dio
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Dio » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:59 pm

I've got an original Blood Money loading fine (off an MFM image of the disk).

The two bugs I needed to fix to make the protection check work were both related to bus errors: the first address in RAM that errors must be $400000, and the stacked PC from a bus error on a movem instruction must be correct. The rest of it was fine, and I'd have thought it wasn't as picky about the CPU core accuracy as the trace-with-SR-as-key decrypters.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:27 pm

Dio wrote:...and the stacked PC from a bus error on a movem instruction must be correct. The rest of it was fine, and I'd have thought it wasn't as picky about the CPU core accuracy as the trace-with-SR-as-key decrypters.

However this is, possibly, one of the most difficult tasks for accurate 68K emulation. It is not that difficult to fix a specific case. Once you find the problem and figure out what should be the correct exception frame, then you are done. But you are done only for this specific case.

Anyway, please let's not pollute this thread. This is about Pasti, not about emulation. If you want to talk more about the issue, then please use a more specific (emulation or coding) forum.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:06 pm

Well, this isn't pollution if we know that those images are correct after all.
Hyperforce is a STF-only game, that's why it didn't work in Steem 3.2 (OK SSE 3.3).
Blood Money: based on what Dio said, it will be fixed/hacked in next version of Steem, it was about time (should be SSE 3.5.1).
This version will also load Warp: it's another case (won't spoil anything!), but not all pasti images are correct apparently.
The one that works was sent by Petari and is on my site. The image at Thalion shrine is corrupt
(or there's yet another emulation issue, of course).

Ian
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Ian » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:28 pm

4 Wheel Drive compilation from Gremlin, Combo racer from the boot disk doesn't work, everything else on the disk(s) do though.

Have tried using the latest steem (tos 1.0 ST and tos 1.06 STE) and also saint.

Saint crashes the emulator, steem resets emulated ST.

I have no technical ability, so if anyone would like to look into this feel free.

I will post any more I find in this thread to if thats OK?

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:04 am

Ian wrote:4 Wheel Drive compilation from Gremlin, Combo racer from the boot disk doesn't work, everything else on the disk(s) do though.
I will post any more I find in this thread to if thats OK?

Yes, please post more problems, if find them.
Pasti img. check shows no any bad sectors or similar. Still, may be bad image (as transfer is not too reliable) . Or even not well tested release.
Will inform Marakatti to add it to wanted list.
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:38 pm

I downloaded & checked in Steem Boiler the image at atarimania.
The game is heavily protected (trace mode etc.) so this could be an emulation issue, but track 47 could be wrong, with pasti setting "lost data".

Ian
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Ian » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:16 pm

ABZoo disk 2 (the one with "funny" folder) doesn't work in STEem or SainT.

Complains of corrupt disk with TOS 1.02 or greater, stops activity after turning the screen black with TOS 1.0 (UK versions tested) - STEem searchlight shows desktop still behind.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:34 pm

Hello

Pasti version of "Fire and Forget II" from atarimania doesn't seem to work under Steem. Does someone succeed in running it, and if so with which settings ?

Nicolas

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:02 pm

Here it works. I tried first under Steem SSE, thinking that it has some tricky CPU code, as some other Titus games. But actually it works in Steem 3.2 too fine. Pasti - max accuracy . TOS 2.06 , 4MB . I use Steem Debugger, but it should not affect work .
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:27 pm

AtariZoll wrote:Here it works. I tried first under Steem SSE, thinking that it has some tricky CPU code, as some other Titus games. But actually it works in Steem 3.2 too fine. Pasti - max accuracy . TOS 2.06 , 4MB . I use Steem Debugger, but it should not affect work .

I'm using Steem 3.2 and Steem SSE 3.6 with TOS 2.06 FR and pasti 0.2h, and I can't get it to work.
Under Steem 3.6 boiler, I see sectors are read until track 24 is reached, then there's a TRAP 3F and read sectors restarts at track 1 ; this is the part that loops forever.
I tried different TOS and machine type STF or STE, but without any luck.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:51 pm

I just checked - I have Pasti 0.2F at both emulator versions currently active. So, try with it ..

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:02 pm

AtariZoll wrote:I just checked - I have Pasti 0.2F at both emulator versions currently active. So, try with it ..

I only have an older pasti 0.2e version and it doesn't work either.
Could you post here your pasti 0.2f dll ? (or try on your setup with pasti 0.2h ?)

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:19 am

Here is it :
Pasti02F.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:53 pm

AtariZoll wrote:Here is it :
Pasti02F.zip

No progress, it still loops after track 24 with pasti 0.2f :(
Are you sure you're testing "F&F 2", not "1" ? :)
Anyone else could try it ?

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:37 am

I can still count up to 2 :D There is about 10 sec pause after shorter loading after Titus logo shows. After that loads further and may start game.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:55 am

AtariZoll wrote:I can still count up to 2 :D There is about 10 sec pause after shorter loading after Titus logo shows. After that loads further and may start game.

In my case, there's only the black screen after boot, track goes to 24, then loops to 1. What is strange is that I get the same problem under Hatari with STX support ; my STX support might have some bugs left in Hatari, but I'm surprised to get the same loop under Steem. Maybe this game requires a specific TOS language ? (that would be odd)

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:32 pm

It must be some regional restriction (I don't have time now to trace it). Works not with French TOS 1.02, 1.06 (have not FR 2.06) . Works with UK 1.62, 2.06. And with German 2.06 too. So, try with some UK TOS .

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:20 pm

AtariZoll wrote:It must be some regional restriction (I don't have time now to trace it). Works not with French TOS 1.02, 1.06 (have not FR 2.06) . Works with UK 1.62, 2.06. And with German 2.06 too. So, try with some UK TOS .

I confirm it doesn't work with french TOS, but it's OK with UK/US, thanks for pointing that.
Nicolas

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:44 pm

npomarede wrote:
AtariZoll wrote:It must be some regional restriction (I don't have time now to trace it). Works not with French TOS 1.02, 1.06 (have not FR 2.06) . Works with UK 1.62, 2.06. And with German 2.06 too. So, try with some UK TOS .

I confirm it doesn't work with french TOS, but it's OK with UK/US, thanks for pointing that.
Nicolas

I have a question for you too.
Does Combo Racer on the atarimania STX of 4 Wheel Drive work in future Hatari?

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:59 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:I have a question for you too.
Does Combo Racer on the atarimania STX of 4 Wheel Drive work in future Hatari?

No, I quickly tried, but it failed. I didn't have time to have closer look so far, so I can't tell if the dump is wrong or if it's an emulation issue.
Nicolas

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:12 pm

It fails in SainT too. I think track 47 is wrong.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:29 am

I dealt with Combo Racer, using STX images at AM. There is no error, and here works with Steem 3.2+Pasti 02.F . But it failed once with with German TOS 2.06 (first check today) - another check passed . Tried with UK TOS 1.04, UK 2.06 - worked. I don't remember any problems with it earlier.
Copy protection is on tracks 0 and 79.

Social Media

Return to “Pasti & VAPI”