Troubleshooting Pasti

In this forum you'll find more information about the Pasti & VAPI Tools and the Preservation Project built around these tools. Come on in to find out more about it and discuss these projects.

Moderators: Mug UK, ijor, Moderator Team

wheeel
Atariator
Atariator

Troubleshooting Pasti

Postby wheeel » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:18 am

Hi all,

I'm having a problem using Pasti which I can best describe as perhaps a synchronisation problem? When imaging disks (even non-copy-protected disks) it can go through an entire disk without finding any sectors at all. The resulting STX file comes out relatively small (~700/800k) and consists of mostly null bytes and the odd run of random bytes. Out of curiosity I also tried the Tracks/Syncs feature of Knife ST. If I do this before using Pasti to image the disk it will read the track "correctly" - i.e. I get the obvious sync marks, sector headers, etc and the sectors seem to be containing data. I can also use the read sector option to read the sectors, without RNF or CRC errors. After using Pasti, I can no longer use the read sector option (I get RNF errors) and the Tracks/Syncs option produces similar blank and random data output that I see in the Pasti file.

I have a MegaSTE with a 1.44mb drive and 4mb of memory. The disks in question are almost all DD. I have made sure all caches are turned off and that it is running at 8MHz (I read somewhere this was important). Occasionally I have managed to get a working image of a disk, but the file size is a whopping 3.8Mb! Surely this is not normal? Is there something I am doing wrong? Or is it just that my drive and my disks are now running out of time!...

Thanks for any advice! :wink:

Will

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Troubleshooting Pasti

Postby Mug UK » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:31 pm

That sounds like one for Ijor to ponder over. I used to do my imaging on a Mega STE, running it at 8Mhz and didn't have too many problems. But the only difference in configuration is that I was using the stock double-sided 720K drive and not a 1.44MB one.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:42 pm

wheeel wrote:I'm having a problem using Pasti which I can best describe as perhaps a synchronisation problem? When imaging disks (even non-copy-protected disks) it can go through an entire disk without finding any sectors at all... After using Pasti, I can no longer use the read sector option (I get RNF errors) and the Tracks/Syncs option produces similar blank and random data output that I see in the Pasti file.

I have a MegaSTE with a 1.44mb drive and 4mb of memory. The disks in question are almost all DD.

Not sure what is going on. My only possible guess at this time is that it is related to your HD drive. For sure that HD disks wouldn't work, but DD disks they should.

I have made sure all caches are turned off and that it is running at 8MHz (I read somewhere this was important).

That shouldn't be the problem in your case, because otherwise (if CPU is running at 16 MHz) Pasti would normally fail at the initialization.

Remind me in a couple of weeks and we might try some tests.

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:41 pm

I use 1.44mb disks for all my pasti-work on Mega STe all the time. Even if it's not recommended I never had any serious problems.
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

wheeel
Atariator
Atariator

Postby wheeel » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:47 am

Thanks for all your comments.

I didn't realise that the MegaSTE didn't ordinarily come with the high-density drive. Anyway, I have managed to find an old Cumano external DD drive - and apart from the fact that it runs about twice as slowly, it seems to be better at reading the disks correctly. If I get any images worth sharing, does anyone have a preference where I upload them?

One thing I was wondering, however: what do the letters l, T, D and v mean when Pasti reads a track?

Thanks.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:38 pm

Upload them here - but there is an (out of date) known PASTI list on the Atari Forum Wiki you could base your "images to do" on.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Social Media

Return to “Pasti & VAPI”