Can pasti images be made on a PC with STeem?

In this forum you'll find more information about the Pasti & VAPI Tools and the Preservation Project built around these tools. Come on in to find out more about it and discuss these projects.

Moderators: Mug UK, ijor, Moderator Team

STcomp
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Can pasti images be made on a PC with STeem?

Postby STcomp » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:12 am

Can pasti images be made on a PC with STeem? I was just trying to image some of my rare games, and a lot of them are larger than 800k which makes them a pain in the butt to get on to a PC from my STe. And is there a way to format PC compatible floppies at higher than 720 k? I remember with DOS there was some special way to format a floppy with extra tracks and sectors, but I forgot how and I dont even know if XP can do such a thing anyway.

Klapauzius
The Klaz
The Klaz

Re: Can pasti images be made on a PC with STeem?

Postby Klapauzius » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:35 am

STcomp wrote:Can pasti images be made on a PC with STeem?

You mean use the Pasti imager PRG in Steem emulation?
No, that's not possible. This will only work on a real ST/E running at 8MHz, it depends on accurate machine timings and real ST hardware.

STcomp wrote:I was just trying to image some of my rare games, and a lot of them are larger than 800k which makes them a pain in the butt to get on to a PC from my STe.

Did you use the "transfer disk" method?
I found that to be quite acceptable in terms of user friendliness. :-)
It takes a maximum of 3 turns to image an ST original and get the Pasti file over to the PC. In most cases you're done in 1 or 2 turns.
http://www.klapauzius.net
http://dbug.kicks-ass.net/klaz

The tears are welling in my eyes again, I need twenty big buckets to catch them in, twenty pretty girls to carry them down, twenty deep holes to bury them in.

ppera

Postby ppera » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:14 am

STcomp wrote:... And is there a way to format PC compatible floppies at higher than 720 k? I remember with DOS there was some special way to format a floppy with extra tracks and sectors, but I forgot how and I dont even know if XP can do such a :D thing anyway.

It was DOS program named 800. But it (and floppies formatted with) will not work in Windows XP, as it has restricted floppy driver.
There is a way that PC with Win XP can read (and write) floppies up to some 830KB capacity.
You may try Floppy Imager: http://www.ppest.org/atari/floimgd.php
But some Pasti images are just longer, so better use multiple pass transfer. Or get some hard disk for STE :D

karlm
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby karlm » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:29 pm

Back in the good old days (Dos 6.22?) you could actually format DOS 820k disks from the command line. iirc all you needed to do was something like:

format a: /u /t:80 /n:10

no need to use special programs. I'm pretty sure in XP this fails though.
cheers

karlm.

bullis1
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby bullis1 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:47 am

karlm wrote:Back in the good old days (Dos 6.22?) you could actually format DOS 820k disks from the command line. iirc all you needed to do was something like:

format a: /u /t:80 /n:10

no need to use special programs. I'm pretty sure in XP this fails though.
cheers

karlm.

I regularly use msdos (ver. 7) and it is possible to format >720kb disks from the command line. I'm not sure exactly what the upper limits are though, as the only time I need to format a DD disk >720kb is for my ST. In these cases, I usually just use the ST. I have formatted 800kb from the command line but I can't say with certainty that I've done an 820kb format like this. While it's not the same situation, I can format 830kb disks on my PC under DOS if I use makedisk. 840kb+ fails however.
Member of the Atari Legend team

ppera

Postby ppera » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:11 pm

In XP such format will fail. But point is not in formatting, what can be done in several ways.
Point is that XP is unable to read or write floppies with 10 sectors/track. Because of limited floppy driver, as is said.
It is the reason why we need fdrawcmd - enhanced floppy driver in XP, Vista.
Will 820-840KB success depends from floppy drive and it's ability to access extra tracks.

Social Media

Return to “Pasti & VAPI”