Best PD compilers?

You can discus menu disks by all those classic ST hack & pack teams. If you have questions, requests or remarks about hackers, packers, screens or just menu disks in general, this is the place to be!

Moderators: bodkinz, Mug UK, Moderator Team

JustExhumed
Atari freak
Atari freak

Best PD compilers?

Postby JustExhumed » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:37 pm

Out of interest, who is your best PD disk compilers?

Off the top of my head I remember Neon Lights (the original), Adrenalin, Serenade and Golden Dawn.

Plus, did you know about these guys at the time, or only through the emulator-period?

Me? I'd go for the Serenade Gods myself! But... I was a member!

8)
End vivisection: http://www.uncaged.co.uk

lotek_style
Mod(ul)erator
Mod(ul)erator

Postby lotek_style » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:56 pm

baaaah ;)

ANIMAL MINE, POV, STAX ;)
lotek style / the sirius cybernetics corporation
- musician - ascii-artist - swapper - archivist -

.tSCc. - low-tech atari cyberpunks since 1990
http://www.tscc.de/ | http://demozoo.org/ | http://www.lotekstyle.de/ | http://ymrockerz.atari.org/

JustExhumed
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby JustExhumed » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:59 pm

Nah, UK only!

POV: great, but only demos!

JustExhumed
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby JustExhumed » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:01 pm

But a lot of crappy people showed up as well, guys like Impact UK, Adrenalin UK,
Serenade, Golden Dawn, The Energetic and others kicked butt with ripped intro
codes (mainly done by Mac Sys Data of POV). They filled disx with damn old stuff
and pictures, senseless educational tools and programms and so on. They released
a bit wave of those dumb disx and sometimes it wasn't possible to check the big
output of crap anymore.

I think we know your opinion!

http://www.tscc.de/ucm21/deathcds.html

bodkinz

Postby bodkinz » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:18 pm

Ripped Off also comes to mind

bodkinz
someone post something, i'm bored :)

Adrenalin

Neon Lights

Postby Adrenalin » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:17 am

Hi All

Nice to see that Adrenalin are included in the list here!

Just out of interest, Andy (TCK) from Neon Lights can still be found at http://www.tcksoft.co.uk doing cool remakes / new games.

Take it easy

Assassin / ADR UK
:D

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:15 am

My favorite english PD crews are:

- Serenade: full collection available - thanks to everyone who contributed ;)
- Golden Dawn: some great menus
- Adrenalin UK: great menus, too - but not so many PD disks as GD or Serenade
- Neon Lights: i like the design of their menus

Also JustExhumed has mentioned Impact UK, but I never found any menu by this crew... I'm curious (as always) about this team, so feel free to drop some lines if you have information (members, location, dates, etc.).

That's all folk.

Brume.

JustExhumed
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby JustExhumed » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:01 pm

Impact UK were started by Flintstone (of Serenade) and Den.H. They were originally called Impact until someone pointed out there was already a crew by that name!

They mostly did demo compilation disks but later branched out into Educational and Art disks (I kid you not!). I thought the educational disks had some good stuff on them that wasn't available elsewhere, but it depends if you had a need for that sort of stuff.

Most of the stuff on the demo disks was rather old and done much better on the compils by the past masters. Still, Flintstone enjoyed doing them and I enjoyed seeing them!

If you REALLY insist I've put the only two I've managed to successfully transfer on the Atari Legend FTP.

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:52 pm

Many thanx JustExhumed...

Will take a look at those little items ASAP - as will a number of other I suspect :P
>>> Trust me, I'm a Research Chemist.... <<<

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:40 am

Great, JustExhumed!!!
Thanks a lot for the compilations you uploaded. Also thanks for the information you provided!

Yeah of course the educational menus should have interesting stuffs. We at AL would love to find them since we collect educational games like crazy dudes. Another disks to add in our wanted list (maybe our english member Mug UK has some of them? :oops: ).

Do you remember when was Impact UK launched? Did Flinstone belong to both crews at the same time?

Take care & thanks again,

Brume.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:32 pm

Erm ... The Source ???

But then I'm biased :)

I was also in Adrenalin under the moniker of Structure for their MOD compils and games trainers.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:13 pm

muguk wrote:Erm ... The Source ???

But then I'm biased :)

I was also in Adrenalin under the moniker of Structure for their MOD compils and games trainers.

na, i meant Mug UK, one of the AL members from the Spice Girls country (with Champions_2002) ;)
sorry for the confusion. I just wanted to say you have maybe some of Impact's menus in your collection. They wasn't spread so far, I have never seen them here in France...
Take care,
Brume.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:19 pm

Sorry .. I'd thought I was just putting in my pennyworth for who was one of the best for doing mixed PD compils :)

We did demos, games, intros etc. Most of the games usually were trained and link-filed by myself as were some of the demos :)

We tried not to be just another disk-filling group ...
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

atari_mark
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby atari_mark » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:15 pm

Best PD crew was POV :D

I actually coded a lot of menus for other crews as pointed out earlier
Adrenalin UK, Serenade, Golden Dawn, Now 5 plus lots more.

Best still was POV but I am bias...
Mac Sys Data/Persistence Of Vision

Instructions said to install Windows 2000 or better so I installed Fedora.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:46 pm

Ever so slightly Mark ;-)

But fair do's you did put up with my dumb questions on the link-filer which started off in life as ripped code from an Orion link-filer if I remember :)

(c)rap #1 loaders ... them were the days - I only used them to get stuff working off my h/drive :)

mac error
Retro freak
Retro freak

PD Compilations

Postby mac error » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:47 pm

Howdy ST Relics!

I have to disagree with Just Exhumed/Moondog, Adrenalin UK PD compilations were not 'crappy' as you put it and whilst I appreciate your point I feel it is unjust that you put ADR in the same category as the other groups you mention.

The ADR PD disks were our final effort to keep the scene going - as games and contacts started to dry up (along with a number of ADR group members input!!!), the two ex DFX guys (inc myself) who formed ADR with ex Northside crew members decided to stop trying to flog the almost dead illegal crack side of things and concentrate on putting out decent quality PD disks containing mainly upfront games along with some mods and utilities (a mod disk series accompanied them). This was spurred on by a number of PD libraries stocking the collection and a number of the fanzine mags giving them good reviews - as did ST Format mag.

ADR disks were never full of 'old stuff and pictures, senseless educational tools and programms and so on' as you state. rather, we had exclusive deals with a couple of PD libraries to put certain games and utilities out before release in return for them getting the disks before others.

I also contest the accusation that we were using ripped MSD code. Again not true, Mani/Mookie was a long term contact of MSD and he gave us the code - I've still got some of his source disks around in a box somewhere with his hand-writing on!!! Most of it was his work but I did modify some basic routines to try and make it a bit different in places. MSD always got the credit for the code as well. I was never a 68000 genius but I had a strong network of 200+ contacts around the UK and Europe - compilation/packing, presentation and distribution were my skills and I was good at them!

The PD projects sadly all came to an end when L.A.P.D. got their solicitors to send us a letter saying that we had illegally used a certain game that they supposedly had a sole distribution licence for and that we must remove the offending compilation from distributors. Whilst the allegation was not actually true, me and the other main active member of ADR were still in our early teens at that point and we just decided not to bother anymore. It amused me that ADR had escaped the clutched of FAST for a couple of years on the illegal side and then we got shafted when we went legal - ha ha!

To this day, L.A.P.D.'s actions disgust me but I've always taken comfort from the fact that I was only 14 years old at the time and it made no difference to my life whatsoever whereas LAPD was run by adults that relied upon the income that their own foolish actions would hasten the drying up of!!!

Anyway, I have occasionally had a look at Atari forums to see who's about and usually refrained from commenting but this time I had to bite back!!! I can only imagine that JustExhumed/Moondog can't have really seen many of our PD disks and not paid much attention to disks he did see because they were some of the better ones around towards the end of the ST era (admittedly not as good as POV etc) - ADR PD 10 is a particular favourite - the Christmas Edition!!!

It's a bit harsh all these years later to attack the people that shared a common passionate interest with you Mr JustExhumed/Moondog. I delivered a horrific slag-off to a rival once on an menu scroller which felt good at the time but was very immature (the guy came to my house with a baseball bat!!!) but then I was 13 years old - I wonder how old you are now sir, old enough to know better I should imagine!!

Big Hi to anyone and everyone that I dealt with in the ST days especially Adrenalin members / DFX members / Mookie / TMB / George PD / Caroline at NewAge / Mike Mee / Bratty / DPPD / BioFeedback / Jimi / Magic Sector / GL-PD / Monroe PD / The Rogue / MSD of course and anyone else I dealt with!

Big hi as well to everyone that collected and distribution Adreanlin Uk / DFX disks.

My email address is available on my profile so feel free to drop me a line if you know me, I'd be interested to know what you're all up to!!

tra for now.
stay cool, life's a fossil fuel

Mac Error - ADR UK
aka Manix - DFX
aka Manix - Evolution

JustExhumed
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby JustExhumed » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:43 pm

I was simply quoting from an article - probably could have done it better with the old quote things but in the end just kopped out and put in the link.

For what it matters, I agree with you!

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:51 pm

Welcome aboard Mac Error .. I enjoyed my work on Adrenalin UK disks (legal or otherwise).

I still have 3 or 4 disks of MOD rips (all neatly ATM packed) that I had to send to Mookie, but for whatever reason either I didn't or I never got the disks they were released on.

atari_mark
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby atari_mark » Thu Sep 08, 2005 4:40 pm

Well said Mac Error. Some of the POV routines were written in direct response to a request by Mookie for nice and easy routines. They made my life easier on POV stuff as things he suggested, I had never thought of writing.

I always enjoyed doing the ADR stuff, it was a break from the POV stuff even if a lot of the routines were very similar. I admit I used some ADR code on POV menus near the end.

Mookie asked me the other week to do a flash movie of the ADR history for the new ADR web project... I have not started it yet!

Mark
MSD/POV

mac error
Retro freak
Retro freak

ADR UK

Postby mac error » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:03 pm

evening all!

Cheers for the response and Just Exhumed - I hope you weren't too offended by my comments. As I mentioned previously, putting out menu disks then just like contributing to this forum now is all about people with a shared passion getting together and sharing that passion!

Wanted to make a few additions to my ramblings yesterday.

Firstly to Mug Uk/Structure and also to The Assasin - I probably didn't put enough emphasis on your efforts towards the end of the ADR PD stuff - my previous post was referring to me and TMB/Divine actually putting the disks together and distributing them - I have to say big up to you two as obviously the disks wouldn't have been at all possible without your sterling work which you both carried out until the end.

Also, nice to know that MSD is still alive and kicking! I was always a massive fan of your menu routines - I remember me and TMB being seriously chuffed when Mookie told us you were on board. I always felt that there was a certain professionalism / quality finish to any menu's that you had coded be it for POV / ADR or anyone else (some crews did abuse the quality though by shoddily putting together the artwork etc and putting ouyt dodgy packs etc). One of the reasons I had to comment yesterday was because ADR (particularly me!) placed a high value on the same quality finish - attention to detail was paramount for our menus.

Report: The Monster Beetle (TMB) / Divine of ADR is still a good friend of mine and is now living in the midlands working as a freelance radio news editor / presenter for a midlands station and he also presents a weekly show for a recently nationalised independant radio station. Story: He used to spill pot noodle on his ST's top air vents almost weekly during the DFX/ADR era but the beast held out for over 4 years before finally dying!

MSD - please say hello to Mookie for me as you are still in touch with him. I will never forget the difficulty me and Divine used to have getting him to answer the phone - according to him this was because he was shagging his bird - an activity he seemed to constantly partake in (occasionally he answered during said activity so he was telling the truth - good lad!)

Well, I hope everyone continues to keep the memory of the ST alive. I have got a ruck load of Menu's and you never know, when I get a week off work at some point I may create the disk images and 'leave' them somewhere - I'll post details on here.

feel free to contact me: marcus_charles(at)talk21.com

In the meantime, best of health to you all and remember, stay cool, life's a fossil fuel!
:D

Mac Error - ADR UK

aka Manix - DFX

aka Manix - Evolution

atari_mark
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby atari_mark » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:28 pm

Mac Error, Mookie once told me that you took your nick to take the mickey out of my name (Mac Sys Data). I didn't know if it was true so I just ignored it.

Glad you liked my menu code. I always put lots of comments in it to help other people.

I have a new POV menu all coded up and ready to put some demos on it. I finished the code over 2 years ago but didn't do anything about it. I should really take another look but as usual, I start messing on my PC then it is midnight and time for bed.

mac error
Retro freak
Retro freak

Handle

Postby mac error » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:36 pm

That's an outrageous and proposterous suggestion Mark - although not entirely untrue!!!! Ha ha - allow me to explain...

After Deadly FX or DFX (I don't think anyone has any of those menus - probably no bad thing!!), me and The Monster Beetle wanted new handles to try and distance ourselves from the older, less sophisticated days!!!
Being quite young, we really couldn't think of any decent names that weren't already being used so TMB decided to keep hold of his for a while and later changed it to Divine (TMB never had a break from the scene as was reported on ADR scrollers - it was an elaborate web of deceit!). I was known as Manix previously (in the DFX and Evolution days) and I was looking through articles of ST format mag (or similar) for possible words / phrases I could use when I saw an article strap line of 'Machine Error'.

I was going to use that but it didn't seem snappy enough. Knowing what your Mac Sys Data handle was short for I thought it would be amusing to use the same abbreviation technique and shortened it to Mac Error as being a 'young-un' I thought it would be hilarious - I found it even more amusing as my coding abilities were less than good so I thought it very apt! So I suppose mickey-taking was the reason for it but it wasn't aimed at you really, I was taking the mickey out of myself more than anything else.

Incidentally, I can't believe there's 2 Evolution menu's on AL FTP - I never thought anyone would have copies of those. If anyone's got any more or if anyone had any Deadly FX / DFX menus (unlikely) then please get them on there as I would love to see them again.

If you'vew got any other tales or amusing rumours or anything I'd love to hear them - this is all taking me back to my early teens - happy days!

Incidentally Mark, there are similarities between both our ST handles and our real names as I am also called Mark!

Stay safe.

Mac Error - ADR UK

aka Manix - DFX

aka Manix - Evolution

Mookie
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Mookie » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:41 pm

Well, well.... Mac Error never thought I'd see you around after ST days, I tried writing to you and Rob but never got any replies, that said I did move house a fair few times over the years!

You know I tried to keep the ADR name going on modern projects in the hope that some old ADR crew would find us on the net but nothing ever happened, I guess you guys no longer tinker with gaming consoles or something!!

I've wanted to put the whole ADR PD work on-line for a very long time but the Mod Menus I / Mug had are incomplete, but I have in my mums loft all the ADR Menu collection and single disc packs that I did with you. If you can fully detail the PD stuff u did games and mods and existing collection, perhaps we'll put it back on-line on the new ADR website http://www.adr-uk.net

I'm currently working on a PC app to analyse XBOX XBE files called XBEAT cos the current XBOX release / home brew coders ain't got a clue what they're doing!! Trying to get the project finished before release of XBOX360 but not sure it will be fully done by then. We'll see.

Get in touch dude! we have a public and private IRC channel on efnet #adr-uk drop by and say hello some time!

mac error
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby mac error » Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:34 pm

Ahhhh, the mookster lives!!

Yeah mate, I'm not really sure of the resons why but me and Rob left the whole computer thing after the demise of ADR. We were at school together throughout ADR but took different directions after that - he then re-located, then I did as well, then he did again etc etc - I was in a (totally un-famous!) band whick took a lot of my time up and he got into music production as well - it's actually the music stuff that's kept us in touch over the years but the topic of Adrenalin crops up every now and again (especially my infamous disk 16 which to this day I am extremely embarassed about - I read it again recently - ouch - I can only blame my age at the time!).

I think with the ST, we both spurred each other on so it just fizzled out in the end when we had other stuff to do!

I'd be interested to see the website and maybe contribute to it as although I have occasionally looked at the forums for interest's sake, I am suprised that there is still a reasonable interest in the ST scene that was. I followed the link but it seems I need a password. If it's not up and running yet, please let me know when it is. See previous posting for my e-mail or use the PM option on here.

It's sat night and I'm off to the pub now! Good to know you're well geeza and I'm sure we'll speak again.

Tra for now.

Mac Error - ADR UK

aka Manix - DFX

aka Manix - Evolution

caffeinekid
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby caffeinekid » Thu May 04, 2006 1:13 am

Good to see a thread about PD Compils. :)

Mine were some of the first I think to be exclusively PD games? Nice to see that someone remembers Neon Lights fondly anyhow. :)

I wish I had a full set of my menus again but still a lot of them missing. :(

I can totally relate to what happened with ADR and LAPD - as I left the Atari ST in a huff after being threatened by the boss of Budgie UK for using some of their games (which say that you can copy them if it's not for profit) on my menus. Bah!

All water under the bridge now though, so never mind eh. You gotta laugh.
http://www.tcksoft.co.uk <- my remakes site
"Anyone got any Neon Lights menus?" :)

Social Media

Return to “Menu Disks”