LSD / WAS / AUTOMATION - The Early Years

You can discus menu disks by all those classic ST hack & pack teams. If you have questions, requests or remarks about hackers, packers, screens or just menu disks in general, this is the place to be!

Moderators: Mug UK, bodkinz, Moderator Team

Cyrano Jones
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Cyrano Jones » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:01 pm

I might have some of the "(in)famous" Atari show in London where we set up a few tables with a huge printed Automation banner and were all wearing "Automation World Tour" T-Shifts....

I have no idea where tho.. so don't hold your breath.

Still got the T-Shirt tho! Maybe I should ebay it? :)

Highlander
Atariator
Atariator

Interesting

Postby Highlander » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:17 pm

Well fun to see how young people look and it seems like i have escaped that picture taking exercise... Mr editman and HAL have not changed.....

Sorry to say i do have perfect pictures of mr vapour ( was ) while we where in germany visiting axe of delight, plus egb and others. Even some of me, haah when i did look young. However i wont post them unless given permission !!!. What do you say gordon ????? mr singord.... But then again you have seen an upto date picie of me......

Quite sad to see a pic of rebel, brings back memores every week in leeds... long long time ago
Very Active person in the late 80's....... Got upto to many good things and bad things...

Marl
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Crazy as a Glass of Chips

Postby Marl » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:40 pm

Highlander wrote:Quite sad to see a pic of rebel,
I was very deeply saddened when I got the news from Ozz - propper heavy weight in the stomach sad.

But you know looking back through the pics today had the opposite effect

I have dozens of pics of the group and all our mates and though we all have our ups and downs, and I have a snarly pic of just about everyone, I don't have a single one of Reb where he isn't grinning from ear to ear.

They say that some people bring life to a party, but he really did, more than anyone I have ever known.

Highlander
Atariator
Atariator

me

Postby Highlander » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:48 pm

marl,

you probably have me in your set of pics as it was always me , editman and hal. actually the pic there with editman and hal, sure that is my hand holding a pint !!!
Very Active person in the late 80's....... Got upto to many good things and bad things...

Marl
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Ken's Big Day

Postby Marl » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:53 pm

Highlander wrote:you probably have me in your set of pics ... sure that is my hand holding a pint !!!

It's entirely possible, so many pics, so many faces. So much Beer :?

Oh and just to join the dots for those who might have missed it.

Here's that picture of the Disk 100 owner and the menu from (the publically available version of) that disk

We gave it as a present for something or other.

The Two K's used on the Menu were taken directly from the same image on the Invitations. See we even co-ordinated menus to real-world occasions.

Afterwards, he said it the the best present he'd got that day. I think he even tried to leave early to give it a look :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ozzwald
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ozzwald » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:48 pm

Well how could I not respond to this.

As Marl said, Reb was always at the heart of every place or everything we ever did. That picture captures him perfectly, and I had a big smile when I saw it. :D

As for the packer code, well Wayne did insist or did he just offer us beer!
I still have that old leather jacket hung up in my wardrobe! Sadly or not my beer drinking days are long over, not had a pint in probably 5 years now (at this point Marl probably just fainted) 8O

I have that exact same holiday pic in my box of old photos, as well as the one with Jim outside the cop station after he lost his passport.

I keep meaning to transfer the old video Hal did for us, as that has good images of Me, Marl, Reb('Nice outfit ozzwald!') and Rob('leave the dog alone Reb' - Reb used to harass Robs rotweiller a lot). I must get on with it before the tape falls apart.

I have no problem with being shown, but the mad hair was fair worse than I remember, you have probably worked out which one I am in the holiday snap by now anyway.

Marl
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

The world is smaller than you think

Postby Marl » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:10 pm

ozzwald wrote:Sadly or not my beer drinking days are long over, not had a pint in probably 5 years now (at this point Marl probably just fainted) 8O
you might be surprised
I gave up drinking in the UK some time ago (though I do have the occasional pint for social reasons, and it is very occasionally).

Why just the Uk?

Strange thing, I started getting really bad headaches. Not a hangover, this was the same day, often before I finished the drink.

What makes it strange is that I don't get them abroad, so I put it down the the chemical muck they put in the beer over here and gave it up.

Now my most regular haunts are quite close to where my Brother lives, here's a couple of pics from his patio. See if you recognise the place. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

flanny
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby flanny » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:24 pm

Cyrano Jones wrote:I might have some of the "(in)famous" Atari show in London where we set up a few tables with a huge printed Automation banner and were all wearing "Automation World Tour" T-Shifts....

I have no idea where tho.. so don't hold your breath.

Still got the T-Shirt tho! Maybe I should ebay it? :)

Got my shirt too 8) & yep i remember meeting up under that banner LOL, if i remember right that time a load of us chipped in to buy a big batch of disks & some security guard was following a few of us & getting some looks like out of a western when we were walking past some of the other groups that were there.
Retro

Marl
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Got a Scanner

Postby Marl » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:38 am

OK, So I bought a scanner, not the best in the world, just your basic budget model but enough for what I need.

I'll add pics as I find them, but first...

If there was one place that could be said to be at the very beginning of the story, it would have to be the place Ozz and I met.

Sadly, I have no pics of back then so you'll just have to imagine.

A small shop unit in the outer reaches of the Merrion Centre. Incidentally the source of the surname of Leigh Francis' "Avid Merrion" Character. 8O

The shop area was no larger than a transit van and paid testament to the owner's obsession with all things Atari. On the plus side, he got stuff from the U.S. so we got "Big Box" versions of software, often for less than the repackaged UK Versions.

As I went in there was this guy hunched over one of the worktops, with a screwdriver sticking out of the top of an old 810 disk drive, revving it like a hot-rod. Attempting to get around or duplicate the protection of some game.

That's how I met Ozz. We had a couple of beers after and didn't stop drinking for several years to come.

As to the Shop and it's owner...

ABC Man is known to some people on here, and love him or hate him, he's part of the history.

Marl
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Reposts

Postby Marl » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:50 am

Better Quality reposts of already seen photos.

Still not immaculate, but that's down to the camera I had back then

Marl
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

one more

Postby Marl » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:56 am

reposts

Marl
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

and now

Postby Marl » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:00 pm

some new stuff

punkrulesok
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby punkrulesok » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:42 pm

They're great pics mate :). Hal has not changed a bit in 17 years :D.

ozzwald
Atari freak
Atari freak

Jeeeeesssssussssss

Postby ozzwald » Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:30 am

The pictures keep coming, the July 89 ones are from the Great British Beer Festival as I recall. 5 days 220 beers, now thats what we called a challenge. However in those days, even Beer Festivals closed at 3 and reopened at 530, we were near the front of the queue every session.

The final tally was about 180 beers tried (tried being at least a half), though several were good enough for a lot of tries!

Again great to see Reb. Neil was the so called 4th member of LSD (the one with a car :D )

Nice Work Marl

Marl
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

More from Marl's Box'o'Tat

Postby Marl » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:41 pm

Having a bit of a clear out and along the way have found a few more bits of history.

** Scene wavers like some movie flashback sequence **

When we first started making up the compilation disks (as LSD), they proved very popular (Has anyone got any of these?) but they contained a lot of old repacks and needed more New stuff.

We were getting a decent enough supply of new software, but cracking it, compacting it and making up the menu disks all took time. During this time people were getting the stuff elsewhere.

We were aware that Rob was getting stuff long before anyone else and was faster at ragging off the protection than anyone else. We simply couldn't compete with him in terms of speed.

Asking around we found out a club in stretford where he hung out. But we were very aware that a group of strangers from another town, asking a lot of questions about hacker numero uno would probably not work (he probably got enough law enforcement and star-struck atari owners doinf this).

We figured the only way to make contact was to make him want to talk to us, we had to offer him something he didn't already have, and he didn't have menu disks.

So that's what we did, we made up an uber disk, really went to town on it, crammed loads onto it and made it a bit special (Now that would be a collectors item).

The next time his club met, we wandered in and started to put the feelers out. Sure enough, just as expected, there was some closage of ranks and no-one knew anything.

We explained to some guys that we had something for Rob, and wanted to be sure he got it, we made it quite clear that we were in no hurry to meet the man. One guy came forward as someone who "might see him" and could pass on anything for us.

We gave him the disk, explaining that we would be back at the next club, and if Rob was interested in what the disk contained we'd see him there. If rob didn't turn up, we wouldn't bother him again.

The next club meeting came around and we were unsure what to expect, hoping he'd taken the bait.

As we walked into the packed room, we were aware that people noticed our entrance and there were hushed "It's them" and "they're here". Obviously we'd made some kind of impression.

A large group in the middle of the room parted (very moses) and this scrawny guy rushed through (looking all excited) and introduced himself. He'd got the disk, was VERY interested on what was on it and wanted to talk more.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

The letter attached is a warning from Bob Hay of FAST to the landlord of the place were we first met Rob.

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:42 am

Great little bit of history there!

You especially have to love the FAST letter. Almost as comical as those cartoons they done :lol:
>>> Trust me, I'm a Research Chemist.... <<<

Marl
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Wonky

Postby Marl » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:28 pm

aktiv8 wrote:You especially have to love the FAST letter.
How was this guy gonna catch Pirates, he couldn't get the paper straight in his printer :lol:

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Wonky

Postby aktiv8 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:44 pm

Marl wrote:How was this guy gonna catch Pirates, he couldn't get the paper straight in his printer :lol:

Maybe he visited the club too, but had one to many jars or ale before he decided to write the letter :P

Either that, or he was disgruntled you didn't offer him a place in LSD too :lol:

Highlander
Atariator
Atariator

funny

Postby Highlander » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:54 pm

Marl,

funny, i remember turning up late and on the day he had got this letter and everyone sat around pi**ed off as no one could unpack there st's. Then word got out that there was another club over in oldham ( i think ), so it was like a convoy over to a smaller pub - but it did serve beer so thats all that mattered....

On the word of the leeds beer festival, i remember a strange black larger called something like black ninja which was something like 10% ( good fun ), but remember i was only a young drinker with little experience...

Just found a nice set of pictures with axe of delight, mr vapour, mr derek md and good old gordon from medway boys...

Let me doctor them a little so i dont get told off...

Just out of interest did anyone ever keep in touch with axe, seemed to go very quite once we left his flat in germany....

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Re: funny

Postby aktiv8 » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:50 pm

Highlander wrote: another club over in oldham ( i think )

Obviously more people on here who would know much better than me, but certainly the Oldham club was somewhere often frequented by 'pirates' - many menus got spread from that club iirc

There certainly are a large number of menus out there talking abou the oldham club (early WNW/LSD disks included?)

insanity
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: More from Marl's Box'o'Tat

Postby insanity » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:57 pm

Marl wrote:So that's what we did, we made up an uber disk, really went to town on it, crammed loads onto it and made it a bit special (Now that would be a collectors item).

That would be a nice disk, we have found some of your older disks here:

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=28756&highlight=#28756

Including one Ozz has named as a fake... unbelievable! :)

Anyway, as stated by everyone else, I love hearing these stories...

baz

Marl
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Marl » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:12 pm

Highlander wrote:i remember a strange black larger called something like black ninja which was something like 10%
I think It was called "Dark Assasin" but we nick named it "Ninja Lager" 'cos of the way it crept up on you :lol:
As far as I recall, it was either a limited production run or they stopped producing it shortly after the festival.

Real shame :cry:

Marl
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Re: More from Marl's Box'o'Tat

Postby Marl » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:40 am

insanity wrote:
Marl wrote:So that's what we did, we made up an uber disk, really went to town on it, crammed loads onto it and made it a bit special (Now that would be a collectors item).

That would be a nice disk, we have found some of your older disks here:

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=28756&highlight=#28756
I just looked through this disk and it's a prime candidate for the "UberDisk". :) (the first one, not the one Ozz denounced)

ozzwald
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ozzwald » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:34 pm

Marl wrote:
Highlander wrote:i remember a strange black larger called something like black ninja which was something like 10%
I think It was called "Dark Assasin" but we nick named it "Ninja Lager" 'cos of the way it crept up on you :lol:
As far as I recall, it was either a limited production run or they stopped producing it shortly after the festival.

Real shame :cry:

The company was either Furstenbrau(German for Princes Brew) or Furstenburg. I had a t-shirt from them at the festival which served me well for a number of years.

Marl, I also had the original booklet from the Festival, the one with all our studied and considered opinions ("crap", "tastes like poo", "Yum" etc.)

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Wonky

Postby Desty » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:16 pm

Marl wrote:
aktiv8 wrote:You especially have to love the FAST letter.
How was this guy gonna catch Pirates, he couldn't get the paper straight in his printer :lol:
Brilliant :)

This is great reading - keep them pics coming!
tá'n poc ar buile!

Social Media

Return to “Menu Disks”