Copy-Protection Shock

You can discus menu disks by all those classic ST hack & pack teams. If you have questions, requests or remarks about hackers, packers, screens or just menu disks in general, this is the place to be!

Moderators: Mug UK, bodkinz, Moderator Team

English Invader
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Copy-Protection Shock

Postby English Invader » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:18 pm

Not sure where to post this, but it's kind of hack related.

I recently acquired a Blitz copier add-on for my ST that enables you to make back-ups of copy-protected disks. It's come in quite handy and I've also enjoyed the challenge of finding ways to get past difficult protection mechanisms.

Today, I tried to make a copy of Chuckie Egg and the copy-protection not only damaged the target disk but also made my original copy of Chuckie Egg unusable and almost naffed up my disk drive :cry: .

Is there any way to check a disk beforehand to see if there are any destructive copy-mechanisms and circumvent them before they cause any damage. When I used the disk before, I remember the game occupying an area of RAM after reset that stopped the following game from loading which gave me the impression that the disk wasn't designed to play nice. Is there likely to be any relationship between how a game occupies RAM and copy-protection?

I really like my Blitz copier and want to continue using it, but I can't if there's an ongoing risk of permanent damage to software/hardware.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Copy-Protection Shock

Postby AtariZoll » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:31 am

If your original floppy was write protected, then no way that SW can damage it.
I guess that it was, so problem is rather of mechanical nature.
Possible that you had some extensive head movements, what damaged original. But I think that it was rather because drive's age. If you can say little more about how it exactly happened.
There is number of games which occupies some part of RAM after reset too, or just restarts after reset, but it has nothing with copy protection.
You just need to turn machine off for few seconds.
Personally, I think that making private copies of SW what is DL-able from diverse places in diverse formats, and is deprotected too is waste of time.
It's fine to make some STX or SCP.,Kryo image and share with others, but personal copy is of limited usage and may be pricey.
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

English Invader
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Copy-Protection Shock

Postby English Invader » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:33 am

It was the write-protection. Doh!

The disk drive was fine after a quick session with the head-cleaner.

Thanks very much for your help.

Social Media

Return to “Menu Disks”