Taking a game out of a menu disk?

You can discus menu disks by all those classic ST hack & pack teams. If you have questions, requests or remarks about hackers, packers, screens or just menu disks in general, this is the place to be!

Moderators: Mug UK, bodkinz, Moderator Team

Jamesbeat
Atari User
Atari User

Taking a game out of a menu disk?

Postby Jamesbeat » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:50 pm

I have most of the games I play a lot downloaded as standalone games without menus.
I have one game that I can't find a standalone version of, so I have to go through the menu stuff to load it.
The menus are cool, but sometimes they get in the way...All of my standalone games are hacked cracked and packed, so I assumr they were part of a menu once.

How is this done?

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Re: Taking a game out of a menu disk?

Postby spiny » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:46 am

which game ?

Jamesbeat
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jamesbeat » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:49 pm

Hunter (Activision).
There are already two standalone versions, but one doesn't work and the other has no trainer.
I have a version which has a full trainer with loads of cheats to choose from, and that's the version I like to play.

I can live with it if it's a nontrivial thing to do, but I'd prefer to have a copy without the menu if it's reasonably easy to do.

It's weird in that there isn't a separate hunter.prg or hunter.tos on the disk.
The other games on the menu have obvious program files, but Hunter does not.

The disk is Pompey Pirates CD95

bandit
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bandit » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:27 pm

maybe I can help?

http://www.climatics.com/showthread.php ... ght=hunter

i looks as there is some elite, cynix, replicants versions.. but maybe they're not the right one.. sorry had no time to check.
cheers bandit

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:52 pm

The Cynix one has a trainer option but each time I tried that file via STEem it would bomb out with 3 bombs. Tried it also from the full disk image (Cynix #1) and it does the same. Could be my STEem configuration though I did drop it down from 4Mb to 1Mb.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Jamesbeat
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jamesbeat » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:00 am

Nope, I got exactly the same problem with Hatari on my Linux box set to ST with 1Mb.
Never mind, it's not a huge problem...

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:42 am

OK so I took a very quick look at the disk through GEM. It has a file called HUNTER.PP on it. I copied it to a blank disk, renamed it to HUNTER.PRG and put it in an AUTO folder. On reboot it starts to run and I get the trainer options. However it crashes just after loading the main game.

I think PP must have set something in RAM from their menu which the game is expecting to find (probably some copy protection workaround).
FireBee, Falcon -Soundpool case: CT63@95Mhz + 14MB/512MB + 16GB SSD + FPU + Phantom 25/50 + SuperVidel + SoundPool FDI + FA8 + ADAT + Eiffel, TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STbook, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:58 am

PP=Pompey Pirates, I guess. Usually, cracks are protected by adding some irregular trap at start or like, so will not work if starter prg (with cracker signo, messages) is removed, changed. If game starts at all, it is most likely not that something missing from RAM - but from crack, or needs specific config. And of course, not always is that crack is bad - it may be damaged during transfers, storages. We will see such threads certainly again.
I'm not against GMO, I'm against that children play with fire.

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Sat May 30, 2015 12:02 pm

Ok, even though is thread is WAAy old...

You need to copy PP_95 as a full disk...

REMOVE ALL FILES APART FROM:

HUNTER.PP

RENAME HUNTER.PP -----> HUNTER.PRG

Move said file to AUTO and RUN THE SUCKER.

Should be fine, I managed on Tos1.4 1mg to run it within STEEM
There are unfiled sectors required which is why a simple file copy didnt work afaik

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun May 31, 2015 11:50 am

I was close then. Didn't think of doing it that way round (removing all the redundant stuff rather than attempting to copy what I needed to a fresh disk.

Nice work!
FireBee, Falcon -Soundpool case: CT63@95Mhz + 14MB/512MB + 16GB SSD + FPU + Phantom 25/50 + SuperVidel + SoundPool FDI + FA8 + ADAT + Eiffel, TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STbook, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:22 pm

I was close then. Didn't think of doing it that way round

I know... it took awhile for me to think of it too

stumbled across the idea myself after messing around trying to do the same thing with disk menus as the previous user i.e rip single games...

There are issues on a couple though, the PP menu with X-Out can screw with the sectors used on the disk if you recopy the prg into an Auto, best to run from desktop imho.

Well, like I said, even though its an old thread, i stumbled across it so maybe someone else will find use for it as well?

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:15 pm

EstTeeEfEm wrote:There are issues on a couple though, the PP menu with X-Out can screw with the sectors used on the disk if you recopy the prg into an Auto, best to run from desktop imho.

For this one, you could try setting the program to Auto start (highlight it and go into "Install Application" from the Options menu) then save the desktop.

*Requires TOS >=1.4 though...

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:32 pm

And risk the DESKTOP.INF overwriting those precious hidden sectors ;)
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:50 pm

Not exactly a huge risk is it? If it doesn't work, you recreate the disk from the MSA... :shrug:

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:27 pm

I don'T see a problem with the menues anyway...the main problem is that most menued games/old cracks have troubles with 4MB and TOS 2.06 :(
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org

EstTeeEfEm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EstTeeEfEm » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:50 pm

Sometimes its nice NOT to use menus and just to stick the disk in the drive and wait for it to load.

I use my ST under my TV sometimes and I have to tell you, perhaps Im lazy but getting up and pressing "1"
can be quite annoying :)

Social Media

Return to “Menu Disks”