Collected 3500 ST disks today

You can discus menu disks by all those classic ST hack & pack teams. If you have questions, requests or remarks about hackers, packers, screens or just menu disks in general, this is the place to be!

Moderators: Mug UK, bodkinz, Moderator Team

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Collected 3500 ST disks today

Postby rich » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:33 pm

Hi all,

Well I took a gamble at a listing on ebay that simply said '3500 Atari ST disks. Collection only'. I bid, won the lot for £20, drove 40 miles this afternoon and picked up two massive boxes full of floppies and bought them home.

Talk about a treasure trove! One box was full of game cracks (the usual Pompey, Automation, etc) including some weird menu disks I've never heard of before. The other box was full of demos, source code and PD apps - including again a load of things I've never heard of, and some that ring vague bells :)

I'm going to have fun going through this lot!

Does anyone remember a demo menu / packing crew by the name of 'Swamp Juice' ? because there appear to be a load of stuff by them in here. I know I'll probably bin most of the disks, but I do love going through collections like this for the odd gem you just know you're going to find :) I'll post more as I dig.

Cheers,

Rich

ASYLvM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ASYLvM » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:46 pm

Congrats on the win!

Hopefully there will be some long sought after, rare items in amongst that lot!

Should keep you busy for a while :)

/|\

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:04 pm

That's a good news :D . Let's hope, that you find many lost menus.
TI 99/4A, C64, 800XL, 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 1040ST, 1040 STE, Mega ST1, Mega ST2, Mega STe, Apple IIsi

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby cb » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:24 pm

hey, that sounds interresting! :)
hopefully some rare stuff will surface from those disks! :wink:
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

Argonaut
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Argonaut » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:50 pm

Great eBay find, hope you find some rare stuff!

Silver Surfer
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Postby Silver Surfer » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:11 pm

3500 disks for £20??!! My god, that's a great catch! :cheers:

With 3500 disks there is bound to be some rarities! :)

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:20 pm

mmmmm.....

that sounds very interesting to me :thumbs:

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:20 pm

A great catch

I look forward to images of any rear menus and the source code collections etc appearing very soon

Just hope you only dump shall we say the "popular titles" already in our scene (PP, Automation etc)

As for the name Swamp Juice, for some reason it rings a bell - but cant for the life of me remember if it was Atari related (might have read in a scroll text or even seen a disk) or just some dark disturbing area of teenage mind at the time :? :P
>>> Trust me, I'm a Research Chemist.... <<<

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:20 pm

Hi guys,

Ok it took me hours, but I finally sorted the disks all out! I don't know who's collection this was (the guy I bought it from had just 'acquired' it with a job lot of retro stuff), but the collection is superb. It's an absolute dream ST collection from back in the day - I mean this guy didn't throw away a THING!

I don't know about you lot, but I was only a kid back then and disks were expensive, so I'd copy over stuff I didn't want any more with the newer releases. Whoever built this collection didn't, he kept *everything*. I literally had to sort through every single Automation, Medway, Pompey and BBC disk they ever released. I put all of those aside into the garage, which saved me a lot of space :) because they're well covered on the 'net already. What is left is an amazing mixture of stuff. I think whoever owned these disks was a member of a group called 'STD' (nice huh?!) because there are stacks of STD Sample Disks, Demo Compiles and STD Demos. I also found loads of Vidi ST and Replay 4 stuff, so they're probably all sampled sound demos coded in STOS.

Anyway I'm digging through the most interesting sounding titles now and will let you all know what I uncover - for now though here is a photograph of the mountain of disks that was left AFTER I removed all the games cracks!

Cheers,

Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Grunaki
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Grunaki » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:47 am

Did you find a copy of Automation 500A in there? :wink:
Thermopylae is now an Enemy Island!

keops
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby keops » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:15 am

Rich: if you find rare and early intros or cracktros such as this one (february 1987), feel free to post them here :)

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=27377

Dew-It
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Dew-It » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:55 am

Looks like memorex disks. I know what you mean about copying over the floppies back then they were expensive. Have any Ancient Celts menu disks in that lot? What a mountain of disks! :) I prefer Mt. Dew myself. Well hopefully you can find some diamonds in the rough.

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:46 am

I have started to MSA the disks onto my Falcon, which is a tedious process to say the least :) But I managed to do around 80 tonight which isn't bad, and have attached a text file listing of them all. I found an interesting demo I've never seen before called 'The Mega XXXX Demo' (it's not a pr0n demo). It appears to be by a chap called 'Steve', and 'SJM' is the only reference that appears in it. It's over 2 disks, and the effects are quite neat in a standard scroller-trick sort of way. On the second disk there are guest screens by ACO, which are written in STOS, so I don't know if the rest of this demo is - looking at it, it could have been. Here's a screen shot if this rings any bells?

Also there is a disk with 'The Other Side of the Spoon by ULM' written on it, but I cannot get this disk to read at all :( I always loved the ULM 'Darkside of the Spoon' demo - it was a real classic, but I didn't know there was a sequel, does anyone have it?

On a side note I'm having real trouble with MSA on my Falcon.. lots of the disks are formatted up to track 80, and MSA just can't read that track in most cases, which makes it fail the entire bloody disk - VERY annoying. I try floimg on the PC too, but that more often than not doesn't copy the disk properly - it gives no errors, but the software nearly always bombs out (3 bombs) other than in rare cases. I downloaded JAYMSA which looks great, but crashes when you click 'Disk Compression' in the menu, right after entering a file name.

Pah :)

Cheers,

Rich
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ASYLvM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ASYLvM » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:06 am

rich wrote: I literally had to sort through every single Automation, Medway, Pompey and BBC disk they ever released. I put all of those aside into the garage, which saved me a lot of space :)

There are some early BBC menus still not found, I dont recall which ones though :(

I would really appreciate any IRS stuff in there notably 'How long is your Dong?' which I beleive is all thats missing from my archive of releases.

Cheers,

ASYLvM

/|\

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:08 am

Looks like some nice finds judging by the list.

Will these images be upped to LGD (or elsewhere) anywhere in the near future Rich?

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:15 am

Yes absolutely. LGD is 10 years old next year, and I've been working on the code for the new site for a long time now, so it will all be released.

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:37 am

rich, don't change the look of LGD :wink: .
TI 99/4A, C64, 800XL, 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 1040ST, 1040 STE, Mega ST1, Mega ST2, Mega STe, Apple IIsi

Marcer
Atarilegend
Atarilegend

Postby Marcer » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:45 am

woW nice Catch!

Maybe you may find something very hot things! which could be very intressting for my GAME DVD project! :)

// Marcer
- Atari ST/FM/E - Mega sTe - Portfolio - Falcon 030 FX 3 in 1 -- Atari 7800/Lynx/Jaguar -
- FTP... Ask for info
- Atari Legend (Games all-a-round)
- Paradize (Chip Music)
- Elite (Atari Softs)
- The Legion (Demos)
- Alive Maggie Team
_/|\_YM-RockerZ_/|\_

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:47 am

Sounds more & more interesting :D
There are many missing menus in your list, rich.

For missing BBC disks (and all others), see http://pacigame.atarizone.com/Atari_com ... issing.txt ;)

(see http://pacigame.atarizone.com/Atari_com ... ns_wip.txt for the disks we have collected the last years).

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:58 am

LGD is staying looking the same :) only much better (you'll see) and it will be 100% CAB compatible too. It has also moved totally away from 'games' and is now on everything ST.. demos, mags, the lot.

Brume - I had a quick look at the 'missing' list and I know for a fact I have various menus listed as missing from Blues Brothers, a few Clockwork Orange cracks, Deadly FX, DodgeySoft, Electronic, Electric Blue, Evolution, a few G-Force, Mantronix, lots of Northside disks, some Now5, some Pure Energy and a few Rebels. Those are just disks I found while sorting them into piles, there might be others. I don't have complete sets of all of the above, but the more holes we can fill, the more complete the collection will be.

Does anyone know why JayMSA crashes so badly for me? (see my post above), it would really help me image up some of the more tricky disks.

unseenmenace
Atari God
Atari God

Postby unseenmenace » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:06 pm

Wow! Keep it up mate and I look forward to seeing the updated LGD site.
UNSEEN MENACE
Several STFM's, 4MB STE, 2MB TT with 1.2GB Hard Drive and 14MB Falcon with 540MB Hard Drive,
Lynx 2 and Jaguar with JagCD
Member of GamebaseST and AtariLegend team
Check out my website at http://unseenmenace.110mb.com

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:33 pm

A great little list of things you;ve found already Rich...

Can't believe LGD is about 10 years old.

Remember finiding it during my first year at university (10 years ago), becoming obsessed with Pacifist at the time, resultin in me starting up my own FTP site and on and on...

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:58 pm

It's been 10 years? My god .. where's that decade gone?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:37 pm

Ok I went through the box of games I have up here (the rest are in the garage, I only have so much room in my office!) and Brume - here are the disks from your MISSING list that I definitely have infront of me. Please note that doesn't mean they will image successfully, but I'll try my best:

The Blues Brothers 2 - Navy Seals, Treasure Island Dizzy
The Blues Brothers 3 - Darkman, Carv-Up
The Blues Brothers 4 - Hunter
The Blues Brothers 6 - Rodland
The Blues Brothers 7 - Battle Chess, Crystal Castles
The Blues Brothers 8 - Magic Pockets
The Blues Brothers 9 - Vroom, IK+
The Blues Brothers 12 - Wild Wheels, Mean Machines

Synchro Sys 44 - Captain Dynamo, Demon Blue, Cyber Snake, Jetpak, Smash Hit

Pure Energy 6a - Top Banana, Knights of the Sky, Mystic Well, Ancient Games
Pure Energy 6b - Top Banana data
Pure Energy 7 - Shadowlands, Graeme Souness Soccer Manager
Pure Energy 11 - Way of the Samurai, 3rd Reich
Pure Energy 14 - Discovery, JB European Football

Evolution 2 - R-Type 2, Stack-Up, Head Over Heels, KGS Driver
Evolution 3 - Rolling Ronnie, Avina Blue, Chink
Evolution 4 - Douglas Rockmoor 2, Wild Wheels, Trifide, Cyber Storm
Evolution 5 - Baby Jo, Basket Manager, Illusion, Atomix 3.3
Evolution 6 - Rick Dangerous, Dan Dare 3
Evolution 8 - Hudson Hawk, Pro Boxing Simulator
Evolution 9 - Midnight Resistance, Action Fighter, Ice Packer

T.B.E. 62 - Midnight Resistance, Match-It

Commiesoft 17 - The Omnicron Conspiracy, Super Soccer Challenge

Clockwork Orange - Vroom, Grav, FCopy Pro

Northside 11 - Boston Bomb Club, World Cup Rugby
Northside 14 - Hudson Hawk, Atomic Packer

Now5 3 - Frenetic, Monster Business, Logical

G-Force 73 - Narco Police, Sword and Rose, Loopz, Galaxia, Ace Invaders
G-Force 75a - Test Drive 2, Hard Drivin 2 + Track Editor
G-Force 75b - Test Drive 2 Data

The Bad Boys - Billiards Sim 2

Dodgysoft 46 - Eskimo Games, Santa Paravia, Cloud Kingdom, Cartographer
Dodgysoft 96 - Deluxe Paint, Plotting, Turn It
Dodgysoft 121a - STAC, Talespin, SEUCK
Dodgysoft 121b - Docs and graphics for 121a
Dodgysoft 142 - Mission Elevator 2

Wild 28a - Goblins, Fighter Command, Easy Rider 4
Wild 28b - Goblins Data
Wild 28c - Goblins Data

I have also found the following disks which sound interesting, but are not 'menu disks' as far as I can tell:

Dodgysoft - B.A.T. (3 disks)
BBC - Gods (2 disks)
The Factory - Terminator 2 (2 disks)

There are also 2 Now5 disks, again no numbers but appear to be menu disks (will find out when I image them):

Now5 - Viz, Insects in Space
Now5 - Supercars 2

Finally two menu disks that I didn't see on any of your lists, might have just missed them:

W.O.D. 2 - Grand Monster Slam, Action Fighter
W.O.D. 7 - Pacland, Hard Drivin, Robocop

There are some single-disk cracks by Cynix / MBK (is that Milky Bar Kid?) but I guess you've got a complete set of them anyway?

I will get to work making MSAs of these over the next few days and upload the results for you.

Cheers,

Rich

sniperstorm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sniperstorm » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:05 pm

Well once you get them all MSAed pm me and we can trade. I have about 3000 disks I have coppied into my ST for the BBS. I have just transferd them all to the PC and have them on prvate FTP server. We can trade if you want.
SysOp: The St Guild BBS

telnet://stguild-bbs.dyndns.org

Social Media

Return to “Menu Disks”