Collected 3500 ST disks today

You can discus menu disks by all those classic ST hack & pack teams. If you have questions, requests or remarks about hackers, packers, screens or just menu disks in general, this is the place to be!

Moderators: bodkinz, Mug UK, Moderator Team

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:06 pm

Ok I have uploaded the first 50 disks I made images of. You can find them all here:

http://megafile.atari.st/

There is a text file listing, a complete set as a RAR file, and the individual disks. Grab whatever you want.

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:13 pm

Great stuff rich - you're truly an atari legend...
>>> Trust me, I'm a Research Chemist.... <<<

daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby daeghnao » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:40 pm

rich wrote:On a side note I'm having real trouble with MSA on my Falcon.. lots of the disks are formatted up to track 80, and MSA just can't read that track in most cases, which makes it fail the entire bloody disk - VERY annoying. I try floimg on the PC too, but that more often than not doesn't copy the disk properly - it gives no errors, but the software nearly always bombs out (3 bombs) other than in rare cases. I downloaded JAYMSA which looks great, but crashes when you click 'Disk Compression' in the menu, right after entering a file name.

I have a number of imaging options, you could post any remaining disks to me here in York and I'll give them a go - and if that doesn't work, I have a girlfriend who might be able to help too.

sniperstorm
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby sniperstorm » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:45 pm

aktiv8 wrote:Great stuff rich - you're truly an atari legend...

Log on to my BBS, where are about 2.5 gigs of the same stuff there. from my old 3000 disk collection from back in the day when I ran a BBS.
SysOp: The St Guild BBS

telnet://stguild-bbs.dyndns.org

keops
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby keops » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:09 pm

rich wrote:Ok I have uploaded the first 50 disks I made images of. You can find them all here:

http://megafile.atari.st/

There is a text file listing, a complete set as a RAR file, and the individual disks. Grab whatever you want.

Wow, cool! Looking forward to checking them out. I'm especially interested in old and rare intros, if you find any :)

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:20 pm

daeghnao - I can't tell if the problem is the drive in my Falcon or the disks themselves. I have a spare (brand new!) Falcon floppy drive, so I'm going to fit that tonight and see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't then I'm happy to send a few disks to you to see if you have any luck.

sniperstorm - I'll check out your BBS after work. Do you have any file listings online anywhere, or only on the BBS? 2.5GB is an impressive collection, but I guess it depends how rare it is? The Atari folder on my PCs hard drive, where I'm collecting together all that I have, currently sits at:

53.2 GB
Spread over 602,556 Files in 83,215 Folders

And that is excluding CD ISOs. So I'm sure we have a lot of duplication between us! Would be great to fill the gaps though.

Cheers,

Rich

Marcer
Atarilegend
Atarilegend

Postby Marcer » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:45 pm

rich wrote:Does anyone know why JayMSA crashes so badly for me? (see my post above), it would really help me image up some of the more tricky disks.

Dont use JayMSA! use MSA v1.41 its far more better than JayMSA.
I used that for my falcon, and it worked fine on about 95% of 1500 Floppys I did on my falcon

for disks you know are in files and MSA wont copy, just simply use TOS File copy. and then zip it. then make MSA file out of it with MSA Converter (PC).

Rest 5% need to be imaged by Pasti.

// Marcer
- Atari ST/FM/E - Mega sTe - Portfolio - Falcon 030 FX 3 in 1 -- Atari 7800/Lynx/Jaguar -
- FTP... Ask for info
- Atari Legend (Games all-a-round)
- Paradize (Chip Music)
- Elite (Atari Softs)
- The Legion (Demos)
- Alive Maggie Team
_/|\_YM-RockerZ_/|\_

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:54 pm

Ah ok - can you post up MSA 1.41 for me please? I only have the v2 version. Also the Pasti site says it doesn't work on a Falcon, which causes a problem :(

On the bright side, I have uploaded another 26 disk images. They are in this new location: http://megafile.atari.st/MSAs%20made%20by%20floimg/

They have longer file names because I created them with floimg on my PC, but I have tested each one and confirmed they are working. Some of the menu disks are quite amusing.. screen shots attached :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marcer
Atarilegend
Atarilegend

Postby Marcer » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:07 pm

here is MSA v1.41
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Atari ST/FM/E - Mega sTe - Portfolio - Falcon 030 FX 3 in 1 -- Atari 7800/Lynx/Jaguar -
- FTP... Ask for info
- Atari Legend (Games all-a-round)
- Paradize (Chip Music)
- Elite (Atari Softs)
- The Legion (Demos)
- Alive Maggie Team
_/|\_YM-RockerZ_/|\_

cb
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby cb » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:23 pm

wow, nice to see all this rare stuff, keep'em coming! :D
AL-FGC
Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam!

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:10 pm

a great update...

hope the post of MSA 1.41 will help image the "problem" floppies you had

Silver Surfer
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Postby Silver Surfer » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:17 pm

Wow, you really scored nicely here Rich! Things here I have never heard of. :D

Keep em coming... please!! :wink:

//Matt

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:52 pm

I think a lot of us could say the Christmas has come early... :P

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:54 pm

Ok I have uploaded another bunch of disks (to the floimg folder on megafile) which brings the total there up to 38, plus the 50 I uploaded earlier - not bad for one day :) While reading some intros I found out that most of these groups all belonged to one 'large group' (ala union / corporation / etc) called: The Collaboration.

The members were:

Northside
Wild! Boys
Crime
Insanity
The Blues Brothers
Lowlife

So it explains a little why they all share very similar looking menus! None of these groups cracked anything as far as I can tell, just pure menu compilations using cracks from crews that actually could ;)

I'll go through another load tomorrow, but this will do for today.

Cheers,

Rich

bodkinz

Postby bodkinz » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:56 pm

Very nice collection so far :)

Especially that Clockwork Orange menu among others :) :) :)

:thumbs:
someone post something, i'm bored :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:23 am

I'm sure Quattro will be interested in that find :)

Nice work Rich.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

bodkinz

Postby bodkinz » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:24 am

H009.MSA is BBC Menu 7 .. well without the menu?
someone post something, i'm bored :)

insanity
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby insanity » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:19 am

rich wrote:Ok I have uploaded another bunch of disks (to the floimg folder on megafile) which brings the total there up to 38, plus the 50 I uploaded earlier - not bad for one day :) While reading some intros I found out that most of these groups all belonged to one 'large group' (ala union / corporation / etc) called: The Collaboration.

The members were:

Northside
Wild! Boys
Crime
Insanity
The Blues Brothers
Lowlife

So it explains a little why they all share very similar looking menus! None of these groups cracked anything as far as I can tell, just pure menu compilations using cracks from crews that actually could ;)

Rich,

I did some of the menu pictures for Crime menus, most I never got to
see, so if you have any of these I'd be interested.

Whereabouts did you get these disks? East Midlands? Notts maybe? :)

baz/insanity
(not linked to the group Insanity, above, btw!) :)

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:28 am

I picked them up from Bristol actually, but that doesn't mean they didn't come from up North. As I said in a previous post I'm sure the collection was owned by a member of the STD crew.

I was a member of Insanity - the group listed above, not yours :) so it' fun seeing some of the old menus again. We released a bunch of demo disks as well (mostly Mastersound demos with early 90s rave tracks), but I can't find them anywhere.

Cheers,

Rich

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:52 am

Any menus from The Source - there's loads missing unfortunately. I only ever kept the ones I'd done stuff for or I'd done the menu etc. Silly move but back then disks weren't cheap :(
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:12 am

Mug - I haven't looked through the demos yet, but there are a LOT of them. I have just 2 more disks to image for Brume and then I'll have all the missing game disks out of the way and can start looking at the demos instead.

Oh and you can all thank Marcer for giving me MSA 1.4 - as this version is amazing! and has managed to image lots of disks that the v2 release failed dismally on.

felicemaggie
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby felicemaggie » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:44 pm

Hi,

Like Rich / LGD here on this thread, I've also been imaging my old discs up as well, using the rather useful FloImg and low-level driver on the PC to image up the discs. It has imaged the majority of discs that I've thrown at it so far, with one or two exceptions, most notably the entire collection of coverdiscs that were released with Atari World magazine, issue 6. FloImg can't find any kind of boot sector on those discs.

There may well be some rare stuff on my discs that has not been seen before - once they are all imaged I intend to place them on a DVD that will be sent to a couple of sites for their use. My first choice was the GamebaseST team, although Dbug will also get a copy and the same for LGD if required.

Cheers,

Rich / Alive Team
Atari Falcon x 4 (including a broken one that I need to get fixed), Atari Mega STe (4mb, TOS 2.05), Atari STe (1mb), Atari Mega ST (2mb) with SC1435 color monitor, Atari 4160 STe (4mb, TOS 1.62), Atari STFM (2.5mb), Atari 800xl with Ultimate 1mb upgrade and SIO2SD (a fantastic upgrade, definitely worth it).
Other formats used sometimes as well for necessity's sake :) On PS4 and PS3, username: felicemaggie

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:07 pm

Sure thing Felice, send over a DVD and I'll host the contents on LGD (yes I said host, not sell!) - I have had very limited success with floimg. I managed to create MSAs from about 90% of the disks I threw at it, but upon testing at least 70% of those MSAs failed. Either 3 bombs, or corrupted sectors, etc. Yet throwing the exact same disk into my Falcon with MSA 1.4 worked perfectly.

My guess is that floimg, while great, isn't perfect by a long shot - and has no means of actually verifying the image that was created, which is a shame, but to be expected.

rich
Little Green Desktop
Little Green Desktop

Postby rich » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:14 pm

Ok - another day, another 100 disks uploaded :)

The files are still going as I type, so won't be there JUST yet, but I figure by the time most people read this they'll be available. I have created another 2 archives (disks 51 to 100, and 101 to 150) and attached is the updated text file listing. This set contains another bunch of new menu disks and some nice rare treats. Leech to your hearts content from: http://megafile.atari.st

Using MSA 1.4 I managed to get virtually everything imaged. Only 6 disks out of 156 so far have failed to image (too many sector errors), which is probably more the fault of the disk itself than MSA. I won't have time to image any more disks this week, perhaps a few tomorrow, but the rest will come next week - there are hundreds and hundreds of demo disks to go through now.

Cheers,

Rich

Lautreamont

Postby Lautreamont » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:49 pm

felicemaggie wrote:My first choice was the GamebaseST team, although Dbug will also get a copy

No need to send them to GamebaseST, they're used to wait for D-Bug's disks and desecrate them.
Only a rude joke, and the bitterness of their departure.

rich wrote:My guess is that floimg, while great, isn't perfect by a long shot

Many people tried to image ST disks on PCs, but there's a slight hardware incompatibility between the chipsets.
ST Disks done with Fastcopy are known to be unreliable on a PC.

Many explanations (and headaches) were given here:
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9644

Social Media

Return to “Menu Disks”