GamebaseAmiga

Come and chat to the team working on the huge Atari ST emulator frontend projects

Moderators: SkylineDave, Goldrunner, Moderator Team

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

GamebaseAmiga

Postby Goldrunner » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:09 am

Seems that Amiga as joined the Gamebase band wagon! GamebaseAmiga was created by Belgarth (who frequents these forums) and already looks fantastic with many extras. The database contains over 4000 entries with about 750 games coming with screenshots. Check out http://gbamiga.elowar.com/ for more information on this exciting project!

Many congratulations to Belgarth on the first release and hope to see more updates in the future since I'm also a big Amiga fan!

Me think's I should get a move on!!!

Belgarath
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Belgarath » Mon May 01, 2006 10:50 pm

First update has arrived. http://gbamiga.elowar.com/

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Tue May 02, 2006 7:44 am

Does indeed look very good!

This isn;t going to satrt a STGmbs vs AMGmbs war is it ???? :lol: :P
>>> Trust me, I'm a Research Chemist.... <<<

Belgarath
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Belgarath » Tue May 02, 2006 10:31 am

Nah of course not! I love my ST brethren! In fact I'm going to give you all a present!

Expect a giant wooden horse later on ;)

aktiv8
Atari God
Atari God

Postby aktiv8 » Tue May 02, 2006 11:24 am

Belgarath wrote:Expect a giant wooden horse later on ;)

:lol:
>>> Trust me, I'm a Research Chemist.... <<<

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Tue May 02, 2006 12:07 pm

Belgarath wrote:Nah of course not! I love my ST brethren! In fact I'm going to give you all a present!

I await with eager anticipation :!:

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:27 pm

Belgarath wrote:Nah of course not! I love my ST brethren! In fact I'm going to give you all a present!

Mmm, I have an idea what this is now :wink:

Belgarath
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Belgarath » Mon May 21, 2007 11:34 am

For those that are interested GameBase Amiga v1.4 released
Grab it from http://gbamiga.elowar.com/

oesii
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby oesii » Tue May 22, 2007 2:43 am

Neat, I missed the news a couple of years ago. Since 2005, I've acquired my first Amiga, a clunky A1000 but we all to start somewhere :D

Doc Pharside
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Doc Pharside » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:03 pm

you can download the whole Gamebase Amiga V1.4 in one piece via edonkey.

ed2k://|file|GameBase.Amiga.v1.4.(no.SPS).rar|2199858430|DE0B593703EF1ED11ED8D5689477CCA9|/

- SPS games are missing (get them from TOSEC)
- WHDLoad games are missing (get it here)

well ... i just thought somebody here could use the info, so ....
Once you get locked into a serious ROM collection,
the tendency is to push it as far as you can ...

Doc Pharside
http://www.pharside.de - C64, Atari ST, Amiga, GBA, Arcade Emulators and Games. Internet, Windows and Linux Tools

Belgarath
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Belgarath » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:04 am

Nice, but for those who download this, don't forget we're onto 1.4.3 now so make sure you get the updates from

http://gbamiga.elowar.com/

Doc Pharside
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Doc Pharside » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:25 am

Ohhh, the master himself *bow down*

Thanks for the Gamebase Amiga :!:

Even though i was more a C64 and AtariST man, i had an Amiga too. Thanks to you, i can start ALL games i played as a youngster with only ONE frontend. That absolutely rocks.

The only problem with your fabulous project is: the public has problems to appreciate it, because the public is unable to get hold of all the tiny little pieces in a convenient way. It was a helluva job to hunt down everything and get a "Zero Missing Gamebase Amiga Collection".

- get all the stuff from your site
- hunt down all SPS in TOSEC and usenet
- find and know how to handle the kickstarts for WHDLoad (damn that was hard)
- use clrmame and DOS batch files to complete SPS and ADF Games
- you get the idea ....

So, i finally have a complete V1.4.3 here on my HD and want to offer you the same thing i do for GamebaseST and Gamebase64.

I would like to pack all the stuff together into some RAR files and put it up on edonkey/emule.

I know that many people have problems with that P2P protocol for different reasons, but there are also some advantages:
- everything is together (zero missing)
- quite fast (i released GB64 V5 yesterday and there are now 20 sources)
- easy to keep up (i can keep it sharing on a 128kbit/s line and everybody can download it)
- easy to publish (just put 3 ed2k text links on your page or in a forum and you are done)

edonkey is maybe not as fast as usenet, not as convenient as direct downloads and not as scalable as torrent, but i can keep all the Gamebases i love online in one complete piece with almost no effort and a the majority of people can get it easily and complete.

*damn - i should get the edonkey oscar for that post*

- how do you like the idea?
- do you have any kind of install instructions i could include (especially for WHDLoad)
- can you PLEASE send the ONLY missing file to doc42@gmx.net:
8264 Audio Tape (MP3) MP3\Corruption.mp3 671 Corruption

Thanks and keep up the great work.

Doc Pharside

http://www.pharside.de - C64, Atari ST, Amiga, GBA, Arcade Emulators and Games. Internet, Windows and Linux Tools

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:07 pm

I would love a complete copy of GamebaseAmiga so if anybody wants to send me a copy I would be eternally gratefull :wink:

ldaneels
Atarian
Atarian

sounds like idea

Postby ldaneels » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:18 pm

@Doc Pharside: that sounds great, I would love to get a complete package for the Amiga Gamebase (I have tried, but it truly is a pain). As a side note, I am posting my Gamebase project (Gamebase CPC) on Underground gamer as a torrent file, so if / when I have successfully done this, I can also post GBAmiga & GB64 as torrents if that helps.

Doc Pharside
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Doc Pharside » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:49 pm

Goldrunner wrote:I would love a complete copy of GamebaseAmiga so if anybody wants to send me a copy I would be eternally gratefull :wink:

Send me your address as a pm and i send 2 DVDs out on Monday.

Doc Pharside

Belgarath
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Belgarath » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:31 pm

Hi there

Glad you're enjoying gamebase amiga, sorry you've had difficulties finding some of the stuff but GB Amiga/EAB/SPS are closely linked and as EAB doesn't allow linking to sps files, we really didn't think we should give out links to sps files either.

As for the kickstarts, well unfortunately it's not like TOS files where it seems no one bothers about giving out links for these, the amiga kickstarts are very much copyright enforced so there's no way i'd risk packing whd kickstarts with it, and the gamebase amiga help file does list an excellent whd faq
http://wiki.abime.net/amiga:whdload_faq_by_codyjarrett

which does tell you all you need to know.

As for the corruption mp3, that was a terrible oversight on our part and it will be available to download from http://gbamiga.elowar.com soon...in fact I've just been told it's been put online so go get it :)

You can always email me for help as well and I'm on the MAGE/gamebase amiga irc channel most of the time pretty much every day.

Doc Pharside
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Doc Pharside » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:02 pm

Thanks for all the info and the mp3.

Belgarath wrote:the amiga kickstarts are very much copyright enforced so there's no way i'd risk packing whd kickstarts with it.

But you would not mind if i take the risk, right?

The Gamebase Projects are too important to me to let lawyers get in my way. I want to make GameBase available to the public. And packing all together in one archive is just the most practical way to spread that jewel.

I am on a mission to preserve History :wink:

Doc Pharside

Belgarath
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Belgarath » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:13 am

Your risk, your choice, just as long as everyone realised I cannot ever publically condone it..

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:50 pm

I think the Atari TOS roms are still copyrighted but I don't think Atari enforce the fact. Amiga kickstart roms are different kettle of fish with companies having licenses to use them, the Amiga Forever package is a good example of this. So while companies are till making money from the roms it is unlikely the cpyright will ever be relaxed on them.

The Amiga has never quite died either with company after company buying the Amiga name hoping to once again bring it back to the level of success of the late eighties and early nineties.

The Amiga was and still is a great machine. It would be cool if the home computing way of life of the eighties returned with a true alternative to Windows. I miss the days when we walked into a computer store and had a choice of 4 or 5 different computers, for example, an Atari ST, Amiga, Amstrad, Spectrum, Commodore 64, etc. I feel sorry for current generation that they will never experience of this type of thing. OK, they can choose different consoles but all you can do on them is play games. The thrill with computers was actually doing other things aswell.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:44 pm

Goldrunner wrote:I think the Atari TOS roms are still copyrighted but I don't think Atari enforce the fact.

Atari (Infogrames) currently doesn't enforce Atari IP copyrights. But this might change in the future. And even if nobody will ever enforce the copyrights, it is still not too good.

Some time ago I raised an issue about this at Atariage. I think it is about time to make a public petition to Atari/Infogrames for releasing the Atari IP to the public domain. Or at least to make it freely distributable for non commercial usage.

Marakatti
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Marakatti » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:31 am

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't company that created Milan buy TOS rights years ago? Or was it just a licence?
-------------< Member of Atarimania >-----------
-< ST / STe / Falcon030 / TT030 archiver >-
-------------> www.atarimania.com <-------------

arthur071169
Atarian
Atarian

!!! I think I have just wasted a lot of time..

Postby arthur071169 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:21 pm

Well, after trying my best to get my Gamebase Amiga up to 1.4.3 spec...
I have finally given up!

I downloaded a 5.X GB whdload archive from pleasuredome (very good site!).
However, the filenames are tosec, and the gamebase Amiga versions are not.

I had a perfectly good (and archived thankfully) version working with winuae 1.3.x (Cannot recall exactly).

I would dearly love a full 1.4.3 version with all the extras .
Currently running gamemase 1.2 (yippie).
and I want to get the amiga emu running with ALL the extras.
The only good bit of news I have is that I am missing none of the actual 'games', screenshots etc. but I am missing all the SPS and WHD (correctly named) files, etc.

I am trying to get my Gamebase amiga up to the level I had the old one at (IE 100% complete) and then 'tweak' the ini's to run with relative paths. I am glad that 1.2 of the frontend supports this (you have to manually edit the ini's tho!).

Are there any plans to emule or torrent the FULL (gulp) Gamebase Amiga setup with winuae 1.4.3 support etc.

I am able to use the old archive I have, but the new version supports sop many new features, it is a shame to not enjoy them (rather than just hoard data, I actually PLAY my emulators, and ENJOY the games).

Regards to all.
Arthur.

aag
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby aag » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:37 pm

Hi

There are "dat" files for "clrmame pro" and "RomCenter".

Look under "Main" from

http://gbamiga.elowar.com/files/

These dat files cover

* the adf games (as used in gamebase amiga 1.4.3)
    *the required kickstart roms (as used in gamebase amiga 1.4.3)
    *the sps (as used in gamebase amiga 1.4.3)

There aren't any dats for the whdload games - these "images" are supposed to be obtained from "KG's latest WHDLoad pack". (http://gbamiga.elowar.com/#News)

HOWEVER - If your already downloaded 5GB of whdload, then maybe you get get someone to post a whdload dat file, from

http://eab.abime.net/forumdisplay.php?f=76

Regarding the dats :-

you may already have a tosec adf collection. So you'd use the dat file, and rom manager, and "build" the list of adfs as listed in that dat file.

(NOTE - there is a "rare pack" available to download from gbamiga.elowar.com, which contains rare games(!) which may finish off your collection.

Although - all the GBAmiga games are also available for download - the initial releae, then the various updates. The dat file also serves as a good sanity check of your install).

Belgarath
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Belgarath » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:38 am

Thanks aag.

Yeh GameBase Amiga specifically supports KG's WHD Packs, it does say that and link to that on the gb amiga homepage.

I'm not aware of any 5gig tosec whdload set, so although it may have tosec style names I'm pretty sure it's not tosec, and I'd be very doubful over it's quality.

KG is actively making whdloads available for download, is testing them thoroughly and always uses the latest working installs available.

I don't think he's got a dat for download, but if you ask him nicely I'm sure he'd make you one.

The KGWHD website is http://guildserver.co.uk/kgwhd/

aag
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby aag » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:01 pm

Actually, thinking about it, I don't think the dat file will work. Since the whdload images are meant to run on amiga file systems which may have file names which aren't allowable under windows.

Just a thought....

Social Media

Return to “GameBaseST & DemoBaseST”