GamebaseST v1.2b released!

Come and chat to the team working on the huge Atari ST emulator frontend projects

Moderators: Goldrunner, SkylineDave, Moderator Team

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

GamebaseST v1.2b released!

Postby Goldrunner » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:40 pm

I am glad to report that we have finally released a new version of GamebaseST. Please do not be fooled by the beta status, it does not mean it Iis unstable in any way, it is just missing the CD install option which we had hoped would be ready in time. This in effect means you will need to tell GamebaseST where the files are, which only takes a couple of minutes.

Another reason for the beta status is that we are hoping to get get some feedback, not just on the interface itself but also on the games, have we used the best version? Can suggest and provide alternative versions? Are there music files or others files that we have missed for the games?

Are ultimate goal is to have the best versions of every single Atari ST game available from a single interface. It also means that all games are being brought together for the first time in a single archive, not scattered on menus or other collections. Please help us to make it even better by giving us some feedback!

Below is a quick summary of what is included with GamebaseST. It is avialable now via bittorrent, in fact it has been seeding for over a day so the download speed is picking up all the time. The link is http://www.mininova.org/tor/78232 It will also be available within the next couple of days on the Atari Legend FTP, but please use the bittorrent link if possible and help seeding.

1255 games supported:

49 Harddisk games
59 STe or STe Enhanced games
111 ST High Compatible games

5600 screenshots
613 games have music attached
930 game boxscans
212 game Adverts

365 game manuals
111 game solutions

Many of the games have cheats, hints, tips, or other extras!
Last edited by Goldrunner on Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:52 pm

Yum Yum .. that's one torrent that will be added to my queue when I get in :)

Nice work Paul and the Gamebase Team.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:23 pm

Excellent work you guys. Must be a labour of love.

gab73
Atarian
Atarian

Postby gab73 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:03 pm

Great job, thanks alot for the hard work.

Some feedback:
IK+ didn't work for me, but the alternative [a] tosec version does.
Wolfenstein3d beta 0.5 crashes with Tos v1.62. It runs fine with Tos v2.06.

What is your next step, any news?

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:23 pm

IK+ needs TOS v1.04 which it should automatically use because the argument is passed to STeem when the game is run. If you select IK+ in GamebaseST and then press F2 you should see the entry TOS=1.02, if it is not not using v1.04 then the TOS roms are probably missing from 'Program Files/Gamebase/GBST v1.2b/TOS, in here you should find:

Tos v1.0.img
Tos v1.02.img
Tos v1.04.img
Tos v1.62.img
Tos v2.04.img

Wolf 3D does work with TOS v1.62 but there is an issue with the setting I put in for it, select the game and press F2 again and you should see:

TOS=1.62
Ram=4mb
Joy1=No
Speed=16

Change Joy1=No to Joy2=No this turns off the joystick emulation using the cursor keys, needed because Wolf 3D only uses the keyboard to move around not a joystick. Note also that there seems to be a bug in Wolf 3D also, if you press any key before it is fully loaded (game screen not title screen) then the keyboard will not respond. The best version of TOS to use is v1.62 because in the instructions under Extras it says the game still has issues with v2.06.

GamebaseST still under heavy development and has already reached v1.4 (which equates to 1400 games). Hundreds of extras have also been added to games that were in v1.2b and well as the new ones added since.

I may have jumped the gun a bit with a beta release and maybe should have waited until the CD install was ready. When the next release does arrive we hope will be something special!

One thing to note is that other versions of games ahve started to be added, these are not immediatly avialble through the interface but are avialbale if the user browsers the Gamebase directors, for example, five different versions of Time Bandit are avialable:

Time Bandit (v2.0)
Time Bandit (v2.1)
Time Bandit (v2.1 Pasti Original)
Time Bandit (v.96 variant 1 demo)
Time Bandit (v.96 variant 2 demo)

Only Time Bandit (v2.1) and Time Bandit (v2.1 Pasti Original) are avialable directly from the interface. If we find an original copy of V2.0 then that also will be added but again will not be avialble from the interface. There would be too much clutter on the interface if we added everything. The goal is to have a comprehensive archive of games and that includes every version of the full game and any demos. Note also that demos will only be added to the interface if they offer something different to the full games, like the Cadaver demos which have exclusive levels.

It's nice to know people are using GamebaseST and to get some feedback. When something gets this big there are bound to errors so the more feedback we get the better it will become!

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:09 pm

Goldrunner wrote:... the TOS roms are probably missing from 'Program Files/Gamebase/GBST v1.2b/TOS, in here you should find:

Tos v1.0.img
Tos v1.02.img
Tos v1.04.img
Tos v1.62.img
Tos v2.04.img

Hi Goldrunner,

Did you read my post about 1.62 UK (about a couple of months ago)? The image that is available at most sites is corrupted. Karlm posted a good/fixed image at that thread.

gab73
Atarian
Atarian

Postby gab73 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:40 pm

Goldrunner wrote:GamebaseST still under heavy development and has already reached v1.4 (which equates to 1400 games). Hundreds of extras have also been added to games that were in v1.2b and well as the new ones added since.

I may have jumped the gun a bit with a beta release and maybe should have waited until the CD install was ready. When the next release does arrive we hope will be something special!

Very nice to hear that - I'm looking forward to it. Thanks again for your great work. If you need any help from an old Atarian, just let me know ...

Some Questions:
Will there also be an update from v1.2b to v1.4 or do we have to download the whole thing again.
I'm not just asking because of the huge download but what is more important for me is that I've already added my own games with extras, screenshots, infos, german Tos versions/Gemus lines etc to GamebaseST v1.2b. And if there won't be an update, how can I merge my games from v1.2b database with the new v1.4 version.

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:29 pm

There is Merger utility in the works that will take two databases look at the differences and merge the results. Thiis way any games that you have added should merge with the new version.

You can appreciate that keeping track of all the changes that can take place in GamebaseST would be increadably time consuming, which is the main reason why we have not done so far. We would rather spend the time adding games and other extras.

Since v1.2 was only a beta release there will no upgrade from it in the future (note: v1.4 is not going to be released its only a development version). Updates will only become avialble when the primary goal of GamebaseST is reached, namely every ST game ever released is in GamebaseST (about 4500 games, or v4.5). When we reach that goal then updates to the exsisting database will available as more and more content is added.

There will probably only be two more publics releases of GamebaseST before the updates become available anyway. I know it is a big download but hopefully people will think its worth the effort, there is always the the DVD option for narrowband or even braodband users anyway.

If you wish to help then you can do this in many way, scanning game boxes, locating games GBST is currently after, typing or scanning manuals, hints & tips for games, corrections to game info, etc, etc. All contributions will be fully credited!

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:46 pm

Hi ijor

Many thanks for letting me know about the TOS 1.62 that Karlm posted, I also found TOS 1.0 in the same thread from him. I am now using both of these for GamebaseST.

Many thanks again!

Belgarath
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Belgarath » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:50 pm

Is there any chance the torrent can get reseeded? It's totally dead atm :(

TIA

k2rboys
Atari User
Atari User

Postby k2rboys » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:56 pm

Here is the torrent-file provided by ??? (& by me for the zipped file), but must wait just a few minutes after your click to be ready with this torrent-file! 8)

:arrow:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by k2rboys on Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:02 pm

It can also be found on the Atari Legend FTP, login details are on these forums.

Belgarath
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Belgarath » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:29 pm

Thanks to those who reseeded it, I've now got the full thing and am generally very impressed with it and the obvious effort gone into it.

edit: btw it's Addams Family not Adams and it's English, French & German (you switch languages with f1 to f3)

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:24 pm

Hi Belgarath

Many thanks for your positive comment, the entry for the Addams Family has been corrected. If you spot any others please let me know!

Belgarath
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Belgarath » Sun Aug 28, 2005 2:35 pm

Zany Golf is 1-4 players

Don't you ever go on the atariscne channel on ircnet? It would be good to be able to talk properly as some of my corrections/suggestions you might not want to accept right away :)

Ataribob
Retro freak
Retro freak

Seedless

Postby Ataribob » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:06 pm

It did not stay seeded that long :(
My torrent is red right now.
will wait with my fingers crossed

Well Bitorrent found one seeder.
Lphant found 2 :(

Wish I was here 2 months ago.

Anyplace I can use Paypal to get it ?

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:02 pm

Hi Ataribob

Please give me your address and I will send you GamebaseseST on DVD. In return any feedback would be appreciated, either negative or positive!

Ataribob
Retro freak
Retro freak

Thank's

Postby Ataribob » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:09 pm

That would make my day. :)
Any reason you don't have a "Donation" link on the Gamebase st page

Ataribob
Retro freak
Retro freak

Help

Postby Ataribob » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:50 am

Goldrunner wrote:It can also be found on the Atari Legend FTP, login details are on these forums.

I am still trying to get it.
Only one seed is online but never shows up.
I have looked all over for the FTP password for the other site that you said was in these forums.

Been almost 4 weeks since you said you would send me one.
No luck
Could I please have the link to it.
I'd be willing to pay anyone for it $$

Silver Surfer
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: Help

Postby Silver Surfer » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:56 am

Ataribob wrote:
Goldrunner wrote:It can also be found on the Atari Legend FTP, login details are on these forums.

I am still trying to get it.
Only one seed is online but never shows up.
I have looked all over for the FTP password for the other site that you said was in these forums.

Here you go ftp://ftp.atarilegend.org/pub/GamebaseST/

Ataribob
Retro freak
Retro freak

Thanks

Postby Ataribob » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:31 pm

I got the Update thanks

Still can't do the FTP program for the Archive.
No port or password to use
Thanks
Bob

Ataribob
Retro freak
Retro freak

Bad zip file

Postby Ataribob » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:52 pm

Well I used get-right the last 5 days.
Got the file GBST v1.2b Archive.zip.

After it was done.
It turned out to to be a bad file.
Winzip will not load it.
That's a good pisser after a week waiting.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:54 pm

What's your address and I'm sure either myself or Goldrunner will get one in the post to you?

Send a PM to myself or Goldrunner with your details.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Ataribob
Retro freak
Retro freak

Thanks

Postby Ataribob » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:20 pm

I live in the US
What would post set you back ?

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:30 pm

I'll find out tomorrow when I post it :)

Just cover my costs via PayPal and we're sorted?

Social Media

Return to “GameBaseST & DemoBaseST”