GamebaseST Development

Come and chat to the team working on the huge Atari ST emulator frontend projects

Moderators: SkylineDave, Goldrunner, Moderator Team

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

GamebaseST Development

Postby Goldrunner » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi to everybody in Atari community, especially the ones who date back years and knew me when I was very active here! Lately I started to miss my Atari days and all the good friends here and at Atari Legend, not to mention the old crew at Guardians of the PaST. It is great to see that GambaseST is still going strong despite its aging interface, there is obviously some life still in the old horse. I once promised that it would one day be completed, It still has a long way to go to reach that milestone. But before I take up the reigns once again I really need to know the answers to a couple of questions that are listed below. It would be a waste of my time if hardly anybody uses it anymore, I hope that is not the case since I have the time and energy to actually start developing it once again.

Please post the answers in this thread so I can see the numbers

1) Are you using GamebaseST now?

if No to above
2) Have you used it in the past and would again if development restarted?

If No to above
3) Would you consider trying it if development restarted?

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Re: GamebaseST Development

Postby RetroGamerUK » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:03 pm

Woop! Goldy is back!!! :D

I don't use it at the moment, but I have done in the past as you know, and I would deffo like to see it developed and supported to answer your third question!!
And welcome back!! 8)

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:59 pm

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:37 am

But I had used DemoBaseST from the past, a massive work !

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:31 am

I'll support anything Atari... :cheers:
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

bid
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby bid » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:56 am

I have a suggestion.

I think that there is a user on here, who is currently managing the STeem project.

Its a great emulator, and the one everybody uses. So maybe could you develop and create GamebaseST as part if STeem, and merge the projects somehow.

That way, more people will have the installed database, and be able to use and contribute. Plus, STeem is simple enough to try new things out on.

The reason I thought of this, was as a standalone windows program might get less hits than incorporating with the emulator.

If this is a good idea, you want to speak with that Steven Seagull guy.
My company website http://www.thebigconsultant.com[/i][/color]

FedePede04
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby FedePede04 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)

deepblue69uk
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby deepblue69uk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:46 am

DarkLord wrote:I'll support anything Atari... :cheers:

Same as what Darklord says.

I've used GamebaseST after discovering it on the pleasuredome.org.uk tracker. I'd certainly be interested in seeing development being continued.
I am the master of cr*p signatures!
Atari 1040 (4mb) STe
Atari 520 STFM (with red LEDs and cooling fan)
Atari 520 STe - boxed after being saved from Freecycle. Not yet played with. ;-)
Collects emulators and software from all over the web for ATARI ST, AMIGA, & old consoles.
Also a member of the http://www.pleasuredome.org.uk/ legal torrent tracker.

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Methanoid » Tue May 15, 2012 11:18 am

Was just Googling for GBST - that tells you I want to use it again and would be VERY interested in seeing some updates.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Tue May 15, 2012 11:34 am

TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Tue May 15, 2012 1:51 pm

Hi Goldrunner

my case is: "2) Have you used it in the past and would again if development restarted?"

thanks
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby StickHead » Tue May 15, 2012 2:42 pm

That's a 2 from me too.

An awesome piece of software that was a joy to use. I've only recently stopped using it because I got a Floppy Emulator for my ST and now have access to (almost) every game under the sun on real hardware.

What kind of new development are you thinking of?
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Wed May 16, 2012 11:53 am

StickHead wrote:What kind of new development are you thinking of?

One of the reasons that I stopped GamebaseST devlopment was it's ageing front-end, in fact, devlopment had ceased on it a couple of years before the GamebaseST project even began. At the time there was no alternative that works just as well, and there still isn't after all this time. However, recently devlopment of Gamebase has started once again with a new release already available. For this reason GamebaseST can now be restarted and maybe (just maybe) one day be finished.

Gamebase website: http://www.bu22.com/

Note: GamebaseST needs to be converted to use this new version, easy enough since the software wil do this automatically for you. A lot more information can be held on games since more fields for entering data are available. This information will need to be added for all the games already in the datbase, so this will be very time consuming :!:

deepblue69uk
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby deepblue69uk » Wed May 16, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks for sharing the url. Site bookmarked. Shall have a look at that later. :-)
I am the master of cr*p signatures!
Atari 1040 (4mb) STe
Atari 520 STFM (with red LEDs and cooling fan)
Atari 520 STe - boxed after being saved from Freecycle. Not yet played with. ;-)
Collects emulators and software from all over the web for ATARI ST, AMIGA, & old consoles.
Also a member of the http://www.pleasuredome.org.uk/ legal torrent tracker.

Mclane
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Mclane » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:00 am

I'm actually using the ST base at the moment, in fact I was in contact with Arnaud of Saint fame to ask him to fix it so it works with Gamebase properly (F12 which took you to the menu to swap disks didn't work via the front end) which he very kindly did.

So I'd love to see the GB updated..

Edit: I got to play with an in progress build of Saint, its out when done, apologies if I gave the impression it was out or about to be.

Like all great emulators, its released when the author is happy with it and not when some fat emu geek plays with it :)
-----
Shortist ICQ number seen for ages :-) Well it was till it was hacked....Bloody people...No ICQ anymore.

bjjones37
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby bjjones37 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:09 pm

I sure use it. In fact I bring it up frequently. It makes a great tool for testing software compatibility with different TOSes and hardware configurations when combined with STeem and Pasti. I even made my own version of Gamebase for ST Applications. I had to modify the script. but I store configurations for games and software for different video resolutions, RAM sizes, TOS number and country versions, and drive configurations. I largely use the hard drive for applications so I do not have to bother with memory snapshots. My data is stored directly to the hard drive. I cannot think of a nicer interface for running ST games and applications in emulation. Its ability to store TOS configurations for individual games makes it indispensable. I use it as a backup to my ST hard drive with apps pre-installed. Gamebase ST itself is still just amazing to me. Sometimes I will pull up the game on my ST and use Gamebase to pull up the docs from 'Extras'. I would love to see a GEMUS script for Aranym and Hatari.

BTW, are there any ST FTP sites I can upload to?
Courtesy is not an option.

carmel_andrews
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby carmel_andrews » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:59 pm

To asking a silly question, what percentage of all ST games released does Gamebase have or are we talking similar/same percentage as per TOSEC

Social Media

Return to “GameBaseST & DemoBaseST”