GBPlayer "ST Menu disk" database - in development

Come and chat to the team working on the huge Atari ST emulator frontend projects

Moderators: SkylineDave, Goldrunner, Moderator Team

aag
Atari freak
Atari freak

GBPlayer "ST Menu disk" database - in development

Postby aag » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:41 pm

Hi

Following on from

viewtopic.php?t=13006

and GamebaseST being "on hold" - I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a new gambase database - "Gamebase Compilations ST"?

I don't have the skills to re-author st images and contribute to GBST. (Also, I sort of miss the scrolling intros and screen flahses on decompilation!)

This isn't meant to compete with GBST either - it just I think gamebase is a good front end (via the scripting language etc) and have thought of a possible new database - although I could be 5-7 years too late!

Anyway, with some tweeks to the access database, we could add a new search type of "compilation" which would list all the Groups/disks.

Within the UI, you'd have a "+" to expand the list.

ALSO - given that everybody probably has personal games collections, there's little point in using hard code filenames.

I propose a change to GBPlayer/gemus - which would allow the database to use "placeholders", ie "%AUTO_52%" and there would be an external program which would map these placeholders to YOUR files.

The normal game list would remain - but you'd be asked which compilation disk you'd like to run.

The maping could be done by name (it should be too hard to guess what PP_152, AA100 is etc) - and maybe it could have a "crc" lookup - derived from the steem/tosec list (combined with the "castaway" database).

I've had a word with X3peri_MENTaL/"Atari ST Disk dective database author" - and as long as I keep the credits intact

Keili constructed the original database and I made many corrections & modifications

He's happy for me to use this as the starting point for the database.

Anyone interested?

Thanks

AAG
Last edited by aag on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:57 pm

Unfortunatly i don't have the time to help. But use the database if you like, it's not opyrighted :wink: .
TI 99/4A, C64, 800XL, 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 1040ST, 1040 STE, Mega ST1, Mega ST2, Mega STe, Apple IIsi

Sut Resurrected
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Anybody interested in a "Compilation disk" databas

Postby Sut Resurrected » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:42 pm

Or alternatively you could modify GamebaseST extras to have an option to load the compiliation any particular game is on, ala Gamebase Amiga where you can select the SPS or WHDLOAD version from extras.
Which may save time and effort, although this would need the authors consent for public release but for your own private use, why not ?

I personally am currently moving all the PASTI images to extras like Gamebase Amiga, instead of having multiple listings for a game.

PS.On another note GamebaseST is now falling behind Gamebase Amiga for both updates and impetus. I know Goldrunner must be busy on other projects otherwise he would be updating. Just wondering if the other team members are still active or is GamebaseST currently 'on hold' ?

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:30 pm

There's a long story behind the GamebaseST now. And i wouldn't expect an update in the near future. Also half of the team is working on the other project you mentioned.
TI 99/4A, C64, 800XL, 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 1040ST, 1040 STE, Mega ST1, Mega ST2, Mega STe, Apple IIsi

Klapauzius
The Klaz
The Klaz

Postby Klapauzius » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:45 pm

keili wrote:Also half of the team is working on the other project you mentioned.

Any news on that "other project"? ;-)
http://www.klapauzius.net
http://dbug.kicks-ass.net/klaz

The tears are welling in my eyes again, I need twenty big buckets to catch them in, twenty pretty girls to carry them down, twenty deep holes to bury them in.

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:41 am

We're getting closer.
OK, not very useful, but all that i can say ATM :wink: .

aag
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby aag » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:46 pm

That "other" project seems interesting - guess nobody can shed any light on it for the rest of us?

Back to the original compilation question,

I did think about adding extras - but that way you'll loose your choice of emulator. (Although for pasti images it has to be steam 3.2 - and whdrun which uses a specified winuae config file - so that works for those!).

I've done a bit of work and here's where I am now.
I figure what is needed is a
    New concept of Compilation - with a link table to individual games and a "virtual compilation disk name" -ie $AUTO_1$
    A "dynamic game disk name" in the database.
    A mapper to map the internal virtual names to actually disk names ($AUTO_1$ to ...\AUTOMATION\A001.ZIP")
    A "plugin" with visual ui - so that when your in "game only" list - a new picker appears asking which compilation disk to use. (Hence the need for dynamic disk name) - this is then passed to Gemus to launch the emulator of your choice.
    In Complation mode - the approraite compilation disk is used.

I've "cross referenced" the Atari ST Dectective database with that from "castaway"- http://www.codejedi.com/shadowplan/castaway.html (which was based on "Brunos list" - http://www.geocities.com/bpadinha/) - (putting the the game name through a standardisation function) - currently for Automation/Pompey pirates I have around 80% match.

I've started a plugin-architecture which works (and will allow Atari Legend/Amiga HOL game lookups (on name)).

However, I guess I'm a few years too late as there hasn't been much interest and there's this "other project".....so any spare time I do have might be better spent in completing GBPlayer (http://gbplayer.xiik.net/) ???

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:00 pm

Search for Guardians here and you will find some information :wink: .
No, you're not to late. Please don't give up before you even started. I'm very sure, that you will get help. We have a Gamebase and a Demobase, a Compilationbase is a more than good addition.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:57 pm

I have a lot of this done already to support my collection. A SQL database which manages a simple file-system. An Excel representation of the compilation disk data can be found here

If you notice there is a "relative path column" (converted from the absolute path to one that can be tagged on to the end of a url) and the file id is a reference to another table that stores the real information about where the file is located.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:24 pm

You applying for the PHP coding position there Dal? :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Patch61
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Patch61 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:13 pm

aag,

I sent you an email (gamebase.player at ntlworld.com) but haven't heard back from you.

I am very interested in developing a compilation disk database. I would prefer to have my compilations available in the same window as my other games. If I could, I would have multiple versions of the same game show up as one entry in the list with a '+' next to the name, so I could expand it at will. There could also be a method for setting which version is the default that is run if you double click on the main entry in the list without expanding it. This would seem to necessitate a modification to the main GameBase program, or a new Interface on top of GameBaseST (possibly built into your GameBaseUI?).

I have the source code for GameBase 1.1, but not for GameBaseST. I am a VB coder, so that may be at odds with your Delphi development, however I feel we could pool our talents and make this happen. Feel free to contact me via email: patch1961 at hotmail.com.

-Steve

aag
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby aag » Sat May 03, 2008 7:57 pm

Hi

I sent you an email (gamebase.player at ntlworld.com) but haven't heard back from you.

Sorry about that - I don't check that regulary because no-one has ever used it - your the first!

I've sent a few messages to Belgarath (GB Amiga) as he's very active (and has given some feedback). (I've also messaged Goldrunner with the same ideas - but haven't hear anything back from him.)

Here's a copy of what was sent to Belgarath
Once gbplayer 0.4 is released - I'm going to start work on a "compilation gambease st" - to use the widely available compilation disk from automation,dbug etc.

Since a game is on several compilation disks - the current gamebase database doesn't realy suport "versions of a game". - You seem to have a similar problem with the whdl's and sps - adding them in extras.

I was thinking of creating a game table within the database called "Master Games" - or something similar.

This table shows just the game name.

Then within the games table - each game links back to the master table.

In the UI -they'd be another filter to show "master games list".

They'd then be an option to "expand" all versions of that game. You can the "play" which version you want - using the existing games table.

(Infact the extras could have an extra column - and that way the sps's/whdl would appear under the master header

OR

Maybe the whdl's could be moved from the extras table into the games table - and the emulator would become whdlrun (rather than winue?)
)

Do you think the master game list would work?

Obviously this is going to mean changes to the underlying access database - and I really haven't started to think about to too deeply, as I'm really wanting to get the next gbplayer release done. (Finding the spare time is really difficult!)

I'll have a think about how we can work together - and respond via email during the next week.

Thanks

PS - The latest Gambase source is 1.2 - which is now on sourceforge.

Patch61
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Patch61 » Mon May 05, 2008 4:25 am

Yeah, the source I have is actually for 1.2, not 1.1 (brain fart while typing).

The pic below is how I imagine the game listing to be with compilations:

The red arrow indicates the game version that is set to default for running when the entry in the main listing is double clicked. If this type of listing were included in your program, you wouldn't need to modify the GBST database file. You could simply have another database file the referenced the index from the original file.

-Patch

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Mon May 19, 2008 1:33 pm

This is quite interesting since I can see this structure working for GamebaseST also. In the current version of GBST pasti images are listed alongside cracked versions, it would be great if pasti images where indexed the way you have shown above with the red arrow. Also, I have always wanted to include different version of games (like Time Bandit's multiple versions) in the game window so this could be used for that. Note, that different versions do exsist in GBST but only in th archive itself and not from the frontend.

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Mon May 19, 2008 1:44 pm

agg, many thanks for the PM about the compilation database. I will give a try and give you some feedback!

I am quite surprised on the amount of activity that GamebaseST has generated after a good look through the forum, I havn't done that for quite some time. I am very interested in a compilation gamebase since it would be a perfect companion to the game and demo gamebases, It is in fact the next logical step. I more than anyone know the amount of work you have in front of you but I'm sure you have the enthusiam to get the job done, good luck!

aag
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: GBPlayer "ST Menu disk" database - in development

Postby aag » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:24 pm

FYI

Just for the hell of it, (and not due to demand!), now that GBPlayer 0.5 has been released, I'm going to start work on a ST Menu disk database. (Initial screenshots taken from a part populated database are listed inder the "Plans" section from http://gbplayer.xiik.net/)

I'm going to take the list provided/produced by Dal_1978 and Catmando.

I've also been in touch with Mr Sam (http://atari.h2nob.de/index.html) and have his ok to take images/music from his site to use in my database.

The Initial release will not list any game genre's, publisher info etc - just game lists, and groupings, and hopefuly configured gemus info to run under steem - as that's what in the above csv file.

Since each game needs an entry in the Games table - then hopefully you'll be able to use the db with normal Gamebase, BUT, in order to support compilations/version groupings, I'll be adding new tables to the access database and adding changes for the next GBPlayer release - so the 2 will go hand in hand.

I'm also going to use the idea of "virtual game name" (ie no disk hardcoding name) and take the crc's from the tosec list/casataway - and then there'll be a manual edit mode for corrections/missing crc's etc.

Goldrunner has previously said I can use anything from GBST - so I'll try and use the exitsing screenshots - and probably take the existing gemus scripts as well! (Thanks for that).

Depending on feedback from the initial release, I may then be able to start populating the detailed game info by cross referencing the GBST database, if Goldruuner doesn't mind me ripping his databse content.

Thanks.

Patch61
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Patch61 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:05 pm

Go, AAG, Go!

You know you have my support.

My own efforts are hampered by a decision with my wife of completely re-doing the front lawn and garden. Also, I thought I was getting a complete Atari TOSEC set, but it turned out to be several years old and way out of date. I am in the process of updating it.

Good luck!
Patch

keili
Atari God
Atari God

Postby keili » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:47 pm

Patch61, did you receive my mail? The delivery failed, at least for the first time.

Patch61
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Patch61 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:49 am

No, Keili, I haven't received anything. I even checked bulk mail.... nada.

Social Media

Return to “GameBaseST & DemoBaseST”