Newbie - some questions & suggestions

Come and chat to the team working on the huge Atari ST emulator frontend projects

Moderators: SkylineDave, Goldrunner, Moderator Team

aag
Atari freak
Atari freak

Newbie - some questions & suggestions

Postby aag » Thu May 10, 2007 9:38 pm

Hi

This is my first post so please don't flame me!

I'm stumbled across GamebaseST whilst looking for a complete ST game list. (I own an ArcadeVGA card used for MAME (connected to my TV via a SCART cable) and have come aross several GUI'S which will invoke emulators (including Steem) - but they need config files building. My initial thought was to write some code to produce these configs from the Automation/Pompey pirates disk contents etc but it looks like all this has already been done and GamebaseST is exactly what I'm looking for - great no work for me then!)

My questions as a newbie are :-

1) What are the current versions?
The GamebaseST download page mentions 1.1 front end with 1.2b database and extras (+ emule link).
The 1.2b downloads take you to gbst.atomas.com where you can download 1.1 front end and 3.1d database & games - but no extras. I'm assuming these are the latest versions?

2) What's happening to the 3.1d extras?

3) Is there anywhere where you can download the previous extras? (Other posts seem to have people running list 1.2 extras and 3.1 database)

4) Which email address is correct for contacting GamebaseST - GamebaseST@Yahoo.co.uk (as per website) or GamebaseST@Dentrassi.com (as per gamebase exe)?

5) What's the difference between the "ST" and "STX" folders within the games?

6) Why the 2 different versions of Steem?

Now my suggestions!

1) Recompress the zipped games using ZIPMAX
As an experiment, I recompressed the zip files within the "ST" folde using ZIPMAX (and my config file) - sized dropped from 931 MB to 906 MB. I can email/post details of my zipmax config file is anyon is interested? (This should give a worth while download size reduction if the HD and STX folders are done as well).

2) GAMES\ST\M\Mean 18 - The Ultimate Edition.zip - zip file is corrupt
(There maybe more - I have a zipmax config which will be able to test the valididty of the zip files, again I can post details if anyone is interested.)
Games\ST\S\ - stray GamebaseST.txt file

3) rar files gbst.atomas.com
Looking at the rar file - some of the zip files within the rar file are actually larger compressed within rar than uncompressed.
If the games were re-zipped using zipmax, then maybe zip file with the files "just added - non compressed" would be better? And maybe a seperate download for the emulators/scripts/music etc?

I think that's about it for now - Thanks for any help/info/comments.

Andy Gaunt

PS - I wasn't sure if several posts would have been better?

ham90mack
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby ham90mack » Thu May 10, 2007 9:57 pm

I cannot answer all of your questions, but here are the answers to some of them:

GBST was recently updated to version 3.1d. Check out the topic in this section of the forum right before this one and you will see the announcement. I am not totally sure why the extras are not available since they were not released at first (see the first post in the other topic), but according to the other topic, it seems that Goldrunner has yet to mail the DVD to the gbst.atomas.com web host...

I do not know of where to download previous extras, but I do have 1.2b's extras still (zip, not rar)...

No clue about the e-mail or st vs stx.

Apparently some people prefer Steem 3.1 over 3.2 for some reason, perhaps for compatability. My suggestion is to stick with 3.2.

My opinion about ZIPMAX (whatever it is) is that it doesn't sound like that compression format is used by too many people. Therefore, it is less likely that as many computers have the ability to decompress the archive without installing extra software compared to zip and rar. Unless, of course, it is just a zip archive maker.

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Re: Newbie - some questions & suggestions

Postby RetroGamerUK » Fri May 11, 2007 2:19 pm

aag wrote:Hi

This is my first post so please don't flame me!

Eheh, relaax, this is now a totally flame-proof forum!
And welcome to you!

aag wrote:My questions as a newbie are :-

1) What are the current versions?
The GamebaseST download page mentions 1.1 front end with 1.2b database and extras (+ emule link).
The 1.2b downloads take you to gbst.atomas.com where you can download 1.1 front end and 3.1d database & games - but no extras. I'm assuming these are the latest versions?

2) What's happening to the 3.1d extras?

The Extras will be available at some point in the near future probably, when it is there will be an announcement here in the forum..

aag wrote:5) What's the difference between the "ST" and "STX" folders within the games?

"ST" is for images made of standard format ST disks, they should be in ".st" format.
"STX" is for PASTI images of non-standard and/or copy protected ST disks, they will all be in ".stx" format.

aag wrote:Now my suggestions!

3) rar files gbst.atomas.com
Looking at the rar file - some of the zip files within the rar file are actually larger compressed within rar than uncompressed.
If the games were re-zipped using zipmax, then maybe zip file with the files "just added - non compressed" would be better? And maybe a seperate download for the emulators/scripts/music etc?

Basically, I have found that however you make something available for download there will always be people who complain or indeed have better suggestions, so as long as it is rarred / zipped etc so that any errors can be detected easily then we should all be glad that its available for FREE download...
Thats my personal opinion on that matter BTW.

For more info I suggest you perform a search of the forum, there is probably many helpful topics if you look...

megar
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby megar » Fri May 11, 2007 2:57 pm

ham90mack wrote:My opinion about ZIPMAX (whatever it is) is that it doesn't sound like that compression format is used by too many people. Therefore, it is less likely that as many computers have the ability to decompress the archive without installing extra software compared to zip and rar. Unless, of course, it is just a zip archive maker.
Zipmax *is* zip. So any unzip program can dezip zipmax archive, because they really are zip files.

About Zipmax, I don't see the point, to gain 150MB on a 4GB ? That's useless, better to spend your time on another goals.

*I* did the rar files. I use "rar -m5 -r -md4096" (linux). I am surprised that some files got compressed instead of being simply copied if the compressed version is greater.
But I guess that only a few files are concerned, and that the cumulative file-size is irrevelant (about 1%), so, who cares ?

As for the extra, I still have the 2.4 extras, but they are not anymore on my web page, and I don't plan to re-upload them. I am waiting for the release of the 3.1d extras. Hope they will be available eventually.

Edit: GAMES/ST/M/Mean 18 - Famous Course Disk Volume III.zip
*is* corrupted.

For contact, you can also write to Goldrunner on this forum. Good luck, he never replied my mails. (See the post "Welcome back Goldrunner", he has some good excuses)

Goldrunner
Guardian of the PaST
Guardian of the PaST

Postby Goldrunner » Sat May 12, 2007 2:41 am

Sorry about the unavailability of the Extras for GBST v3.1, I thought the the complete set was out there doing the rounds. I will be sending Retro the complete package so it should be avialable at last.

I don't know what is wrong with everyones version of Mean 18 since the one I have is OK. It seems strange that just one file is corrupted in the archive. Anyway I have attached a working one so you can replace it.

Megar, I haven't used of the email addresses quoted in the first post for some time now, I apologise if you have tried to contact me using them. If you want me to send you a copy of GBST then just PM me your address and I will send one in the post.

If anyone, for any reason, wants to contact me then please use the PM system of this forum since I do check it now and then. Or you can use the following email address paulraythompson@yahoo.co.uk

I am glad people are still enjoying GamebaseST and getting some fun out of it. I spent over 3 years and countless hours putting it together. I am incredably busy waith Guardians of the PaST so I haven't worked on GBST for quite a long time, I also don't check back here very often, or as much as I should. As for GBST's future I really don't know if it has a future since I don't have the time to do two massive projects. GBST's is looking a bit dated now and I really don't have the programming skills to give it a new lease of life.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

megar
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby megar » Sat May 12, 2007 6:41 am

Thank you for your post, Goldrunner. GamebaseST, is a huge project, you probably have spent hundreds (maybe thousand) of hours, and I thing it is now enough stable to supercede any other source of atari games (compulations or tossec). Your work is a masterpiece. And that's why it is a pity than your project is not spreaded properly.
I decided to host GBST files, including extra, at my own cost in respect to your work. If retrogamer will receive the Extras dvd and upload it to the server, it means that finally, the full GBST is going to be (finalley) released to the public !

About the corrupt zip file, it is not the one you posted, it is "Mean 18 - The Ultimate Edition.zip", can you check that the version you have don't have CRC error in it ?

Before releasing the extra, I will make extra checks to ensure there is no zip error, so, this problem is not going to appear anymore.

aag
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby aag » Sat May 12, 2007 8:03 pm

Hi

An update to invalid Zips. I've check all Zips within the ST, STX and HD and found the following corrupt files :-

* Games\ST\M\Mean 18 - The Ultimate Edition.zip -> UNZIPPING FAILED

* Games\STX\A\Advantage Tennis (M3)(Pasti Original).zip -> UNZIPPING FAILED

* Games\STX\G\Great Napoleonic Battles (Pasti Original).zip -> UNZIPPING FAILED

(If anyone is interested, using ZipMax with a packer to just actually "store" the file is a great way to test a big batch of Zip files. I think the error checking ZipMax does when it does it's initially decompress is very thorough. (I've had a load of Mame ROM which passed CLRmamepro's "expand zip and check crc" - but were actually corrupt!)

Thanks for the replies and the updates on the current state of the project/future etc. GamebaseSt seems fantastic!

PS - As regards ZipMax and zip file re-compression. The best I could manage (after 2 full nights of running) was a gain of 40Mb on the entire GAME folder - so it's probably not worth it. BUT - it did find some corrupt Zip files though - so not a compete waste of time!

megar
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby megar » Sun May 13, 2007 6:22 am

aag wrote:* Games\ST\M\Mean 18 - The Ultimate Edition.zip -> UNZIPPING FAILED

* Games\STX\A\Advantage Tennis (M3)(Pasti Original).zip -> UNZIPPING FAILED

* Games\STX\G\Great Napoleonic Battles (Pasti Original).zip -> UNZIPPING FAILED
Unfortunately correct. Those 3 zips were already corrupted before I upload them and rar them.

Goldrunner, can you check on your machine ?

fyz
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Newbie - some questions & suggestions

Postby fyz » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:58 am

Hi,

You may try Advanced Zip Repair at http://www.datanumen.com/azr/ This tool is rather useful in salvaging damaged Zip files. There is a free demo, I think you may just try it.

Social Media

Return to “GameBaseST & DemoBaseST”